Old January 28, 2002, 11:24   #1
wheathin
Prince

Local Time: 19:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Favorite Alien Replacements
SMAX Survey here:

What are your two favorite factions to use from the original Seven as replacements for the Aliens? Does it change depending on who you are playing?

I know I find it repetitve to have two greenies, or two techies, so I rarely add Zak or Dee to the human SMAX Five. I prefer Morgan, Yang, and Lal.
Old January 28, 2002, 11:53   #2
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:52
My most common smac-x crew is the smac 7, replacing Miriam with Aki. next most common would be additionally replacing Morgan with Domai or Rose.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old January 28, 2002, 12:20   #3
spartak
King

I usually swap the aliens for Zak and Morgan. I generally play Zak.
Old January 28, 2002, 13:30   #4
Clear Skies
Prince

My usual crew consists of Aki (me), Roze, Lal, Dee, the bloated capitalist (Morgan), Zak and then either Domai or a more aggressive faction (Miriam or Yang) if I feel like a challenge.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old January 28, 2002, 13:39   #5
mrdynamic
Chieftain

My favorite combo is Lady D, Miriam, Hive, Spartons, Peacekeepers, Roze and myself as the Drones. Although on my next game I think I will replace Roze with the Pirates. So Im not sure which two is replacing the Aliens .. if I had to pick I would pick the HIVE and LAL since they always seem to be the biggest pain in the arse.
Old January 28, 2002, 15:16   #6
wheathin
Prince

The poll got reversed.
I wondered what two SMAC factions people liked to play with the SMAX five. It seems like people prefer playing 4 or 5 SMAC factions and only two or three SMAXers. Interesting.

So far:
Three votes for Aki, Roze, and Domai.
One for Sven
Zero for the Cult

Sounds like there isn't much love for Fungboy here...
Old January 28, 2002, 15:42   #7
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 20:52
I don't think people like playing the SMACX seven at all......... not without SMAC 7. So even if you replace the aliens you still miss out on a few SMAC 7 factions.

Anyway to answer your question:

Aliens for Yang & Miriam (the only two faction that could provide enough aggression to make it interesting)
Old January 28, 2002, 20:22   #8
Fitz
King

Local Time: 11:52
My favorite is all random, including me.

Seriously, I like to mix and match. I take a random faction, then decide if I want a peaceful or agressive game, or a random one.

Peaceful: Dierdre, Aki-Zeta 5, Lal, Roze, Fungusboy, Zhakarof. Note these tend to match my typical settings Demo/Green/Knowledge (until late game). Fungusboy is agressive, but he's usually okay since I'm running green. Sometimes I'll throw in Morgan instead, because even though he hates green, he's a wimp.

Agressive: Aliens (x2), Miriam, Yang, Domai, and Svensgaard/Santiago. The last depends on what kind of water setting I'm looking at. All of them tend to oppose my typical settings, so we tend to fight. The exception is when I go to power in the late game, at which time Sven/Santiago sometimes (but not always) become more friendly.