Old November 3, 2000, 18:20   #1
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 21:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Replay after the game. (ala Civ 1)
Well since there are an influx of newbies, and I'm about to make my 300th post (It as going to be in the OT but I remembered that it was my 300th) I felt I had to post where my first post here began. It's such a sentimental moment for me. I feel that I might not be around long enough to become a king. And Prince is the best I'll ever be.

But don't worry. I'm not going away any time soon.

Anywho I must have said this 2 or 3 times that the replay in Civ 1 MUST be returned to Civ 3. I was disappointed when it wasn't in Civ2. And I'll be pissed if it's not in Civ 3. I was an awesome feature and it should return.

I mean think about, the best historic replay tool of any game should return to the ultimate game if the Civilization series!!!!

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"The best meats' in the rump!"
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old November 3, 2000, 18:24   #2
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 21:01
WHAT!!! I need 301 posts!!!! What a jip. Anyway I got 301 now.

And it's still a good idea.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"The best meats' in the rump!"
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old November 3, 2000, 23:02   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yeah i agree completely, even the good old text-based replay'd be appreciated..

But then there was loads of little things in civ i wish theyd kept in civ2...
[This message has been edited by DrFell (edited November 03, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 00:18   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
100% AGREE. We need the reply!
Old November 4, 2000, 00:38   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:31
*scratches head*

Isn't there already a replay thread on the first topics page? Or is the civ1 replay different to the suggested replay method in the other thread? Is the you're talking about similar to the FreeCiv/SMAC one?

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old November 4, 2000, 02:45   #6
tonic
King

Local Time: 00:31
Refresh my memory. Is the Civ1 replay saved in a file which can be accessed later? The date highlights would be nice to have in a memorable game without the current painful log keeping in Civ2.
Old November 4, 2000, 05:20   #7
Builder

BRING BACK THE REPLAY!!!
Old November 4, 2000, 06:50   #8
KaiserIsak
Warlord

I agree, the replay was great
Old November 4, 2000, 07:11   #9
cpp
Chieftain

Replay for me too.
Is there anybody who didn't miss the replay from civ1 in civ2?
Old November 4, 2000, 11:52   #10
Ralf
King

Now, we *all* (more or less) agree on that we should have this feature in Civ-3 as well. Who could possibly have something against it?

The question is: *how* should the idea be realized???

Those of you who already posted in this thread; come back with interesting viewpoints, please. This feature can be beefed-up to something really nice!!

Personaly, i would like a top-down flat map representation of the real map in moveable/sizeable windows. The map is simplified compared to the real thing, but nothing lo-res, blocky and DOS-like of course.

I want to be able to play, replay, save and load these timeline´s as indevidual files. These files can be up-/downloaded via internet, and you can compare your timeline´s with others.
Whats the point? Well, you get a general idea how good you are, by comparing. Also, we can better distinguish bragging bull****, from real play-talent by saving/comparing these playback-able files with others as evidence.

These playback-able timeline´s should also contain the evershifting demograpics information. Why moveable/sizeable windows? Why not full-screen? Well, i want to play two (or more) timeline-files simultaneously. Again - to answer the question: how good am i compared with others out there.
Old November 4, 2000, 18:21   #11
UltraSonix
King

How did the replay work in Civ1? Is it similiar to the civ-history journal thing that was mentioned a while back?

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old November 4, 2000, 18:48   #12
Dom Pedro II
King

The Civ 1 replay was like a super fast view of the entire map that showed the civilizations as they began through blocks of color. And their colors spreads across the continents as showing how they expanded during the course of the game, and sometimes one color takes over another's space to show that another civilization has taken control of those cities. When colors disappear it is because that civilization was destroyed. If I remember, the map is the only thing in the civ 1 replay, but I maybe wrong.
[This message has been edited by Dom Pedro II (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 21:46   #13
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

That "Blocks of Color" showing the countries "area of control" was the only thing left out at the end in Civ II. I never knew why they dropped that.

Dom Pedro describes it well. The cool thing was saving that to file so you could watch it later.

Old November 4, 2000, 22:50   #14
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

yeah, it was a map-only view. i remeber it screwed up sometimes tho... if 1 civ got replaced then then name of the old civ'd be replaced with the new one. And sometimes you got blocks of colour left from the old civs, even after they were destroyed...

I remember, it used to tell you who produced the first of every unit. Playing as the americans new york got taken over by barbarians... the barbs cranked out some legions.. that showed up good on the replay, 'barbarians produce first legion'..
[This message has been edited by DrFell (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 23:11   #15
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

That's right...I forgot about the graphics problem leaving the squares of color... good one.

The cool thing about that list of "firsts" (Americans produce first legion, Monarchy discovered on year xxxx...) is that you could compare facts from one game to another saved game. I could easily compare strategies by reviewing several games' saved replay.

With Civ II, I find myself keeping a notepad next to the computer to jot down notes what year I discovered a tech, founded a new unit, etc.
Old November 4, 2000, 23:41   #16
UltraSonix
King

quote:

The Civ 1 replay was like a super fast view of the entire map that showed the civilizations as they began through blocks of color. And their colors spreads across the continents as showing how they expanded during the course of the game, and sometimes one color takes over another's space to show that another civilization has taken control of those cities. When colors disappear it is because that civilization was destroyed. If I remember, the map is the only thing in the civ 1 replay, but I maybe wrong.
In this case, then I know what you'r talking about. FreeCiv has this feature, and it's really good cause the games' replays are placed on the web. And besides, this replay feature is in SMAC via the menues anyways, I think. So it's likely that it'll be in Civ3.

------------------
Old November 5, 2000, 23:50   #17
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

I just played a quick game of Civ I since reading this thread...

What memories!!! That was a fun game, but it really can remind you how good of a game Civ II is. They improved almost every aspect of the game when developing the sequel.

In playing today, it almost seemed that the military part of the AI was better in Civ I then Civ II. No massive bonzai charges against fortified troops.

I have to admit, I lost...the Germans ran away with it. They had nuclear weapons around 1900. I got nuked.
Old November 5, 2000, 23:52   #18
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

didn't last to the replay... It was the whole point of playing the game today...*sigh*
Old November 6, 2000, 01:11   #19
UltraSonix
King

Funny stuff!

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)