Old January 29, 2002, 00:19   #1
Rainstorm
Settler

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Crash when starting game
I used to play SMAC near constantly on my old computer but hadn't installed it on my new one yet since I was busy with Civ 3, etc. Now I have installed it, but every time I start a game it gets all the way to selecting the standard/optional rules then crashes with an error in TERRANX.ICD. I reinstalled to no avail, and tried several other combinations of things. I did try it before I added the SMAC 4 patch and the SMAX 2 patch, and it did work then, so it seems like it's something in the patch, do they not play well with Windows ME?
Old January 29, 2002, 13:11   #2
Rage
Chieftain

Same thing happened to me and i was so looking forward to SMAC after playing civ3 for a month!
It must be something to do with windows ME but im using it too.
Old January 29, 2002, 13:53   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:55
You may want to browse the thread titles. This problem has cropped up for numerous users of Win ME. There is a solution, but not being a ME user I ignored it.

I think I remember it had something to do with changing a single number in one of the files, something like ForceOldVoxel=1. Alternatively, check your readme file if someone doesn't post the exact solution in a day or two.
Old January 29, 2002, 17:30   #4
Fitz
King

Local Time: 11:55
That error message is ringing a bell with me. I think the SMAX installation guide had something specific about it. Did your come with a installation guide? I'll glance at mine when I get home and see if it has anything on it.
Old January 29, 2002, 19:15   #5
Rainstorm
Settler

Well I did check the Readme and tried a lot of things with the .ini file, none of which worked. Another reinstall also had the same result. Finally, the third reinstall and patch application worked, I'm not sure why. The only thing I remember doing different was doing a Complete install for both programs, not sure why that would make a difference. Anyway, now I'm happily playing and using my new copy of Vel's guide.