Old January 29, 2002, 13:49   #1
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Helicopters, they can be usefull
Many people have stated that they find Helicopters useless, and I too use to fell this way, but I have found many uses for helicopters. In my game I have allowed helicopter carry any kind of unit, but even if they carry only foot units they still are useful. One thing you can use helicopters for is to airlift units to other cities. If you use helicopters you don’t need an airport, you can airlift as many units as you want to the same city as long as you have enough helicopter to do the job, and you can unload the units form the helicopter and use them on the same turn that you airlifted them.

Anther use for them that I was thinking about, but need to test out is using them to transport artillery near enemy cities. Thus the artillery units can actually keep up with the faster moving units thanks to helicopters.
Old January 29, 2002, 14:20   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:56
Now that you've allowed helo's to transport any unit you could use the idea I posed early inthe threads to transport a settler to an appropriate area to initiate a land grab and thus allow access to rail heads for your units thus allowing a similar effecgt of the howie rushs of CIV2.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 29, 2002, 15:14   #3
Unregistered
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:56
I've often wondered if allowing helo's to transport footsoldiers from one end of the world to the other by rebasing is bug or a design decision. It could be by design, but if so, the helo isn't the unit I would have chosen for this. I would assume that the ability to airlift to another airport was really supposed to represent this ability in the game. So my guess is that it's a bug, so I probably shouldn't use it. But I do....

Cheers,
-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick
Old January 29, 2002, 23:37   #4
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 19:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I've often wondered if allowing helo's to transport footsoldiers from one end of the world to the other by rebasing is bug or a design decision. It could be by design, but if so, the helo isn't the unit I would have chosen for this. I would assume that the ability to airlift to another airport was really supposed to represent this ability in the game. So my guess is that it's a bug, so I probably shouldn't use it. But I do....
I think if it is a bug it should be let in the game, as it would have been a good design decision. After all you can only move one unit at a time which means one every other turn since you are transporting back to pick up another unit. To move 3 units per turn would take 6 helicopters which is like 600 shields and 6 gold per turn support. And on top of that the best unit you can carry is an infantry. Of course, you could have a barracks in the target city and upgrade them when they arrive.
Old January 30, 2002, 15:35   #5
Unregistered
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:56
Quote:
Originally posted by barefootbadass

I think if it is a bug it should be let in the game, as it would have been a good design decision. After all you can only move one unit at a time which means one every other turn since you are transporting back to pick up another unit. To move 3 units per turn would take 6 helicopters which is like 600 shields and 6 gold per turn support. And on top of that the best unit you can carry is an infantry. Of course, you could have a barracks in the target city and upgrade them when they arrive.
Actually I have six helos & they're based in what used to be India before the American's & Chinese carved them up. It's very mountainous there, lots of iron - which is why I have a base there - so good defensive modifiers for the four elite infantry I kept. The base also has an airport (tho it didn't when I first helo'd in) so it's stocked w/ some mech infantry, modern armor & some paras as well. The helo's & the paras allow me to place blocking forces at will in the mountains that my mech inf & mod armor can't get to in one turn. The helo's make pretty decent recon units too.

fwiw,
-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick