Old January 29, 2002, 14:01   #1
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 21:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyone interested of MP?
I was trying to organize a game few months ago but it really didn't worked. Not directly my fault though, few people just didn't knew how to forward a turn...or something. I was frustrated by such incompetence and gave up. Now, after few months it seems that SMAX is still the best game out there and I want to have my piece of MP experience.

I was thinking of 4-5 players with pretty basic settings, SMAX, maybe Dilithium Dad's Ultimate Build Map or some other predestined map since the random generator can't make continents. It would be best if some trustworthy outsider would manage the game. Details can be set in democratic process by participants.

If anyone's interested?
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old January 29, 2002, 14:15   #2
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Sure, I'm interested! I'll be the Gaians. I have SMAC and SMAX (prefer SMAC, if only because its quicker to load for MP games).

My E-Mail address: dnandal@twcny.rr.com

Also, here's another game thats being formed at Civilization, if your interested:

http://www.civgaming.net/forums/show...0321#post10321

Welcome aboard!

D

-=Vel=-
Old January 29, 2002, 15:01   #3
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 14:56
Hello everyone,

I will be happy to offer my services as CMN for the game and to hold passwords.

I can do something as simple as setting up DiDad's map (if that's the one you want to use) and making sure everyone has a fair starting location. Or, I will be happy to set up a scenario for you, to the group's preferences, if you would like something a little more customized.
Old January 29, 2002, 15:12   #4
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Darsnan:
You got your tree-lovers Darsnan Thanks for the link...I had already forgotten the Civ Gaming Network. It looks like they have really updated the site since I last visited.

Qantaqa:
I remember you. You've been around for a while. Thanks for the offer. We'll take it. I personally like DilithiumDad's Map, but let's see what others are saying...Let's see if there is going to be a game at all
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old January 29, 2002, 15:21   #5
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

My votes for Q to CMN!

Also, my scenario preferences:

Large map
30-50% ocean coverage
average clouds/erosion/native life
transcend difficulty

As far as rules:

pods on
random events on
blind research off
unity survey off
look first on
spoils of war, tech stag, etc. on

If push comes to shove concerning preferences, then I think we ought to employ a strategy I developed while travelling cross country: everyone can make suggestions as to the radio station listened to in the car, but the driver gets last say (i.e. since this is Shai Hulud's thread, he has final say). FYI.

D

-=Vel=-
Old January 29, 2002, 15:52   #6
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Dilithium's Map is pretty much what you hoped for. Random generator makes poor maps, too much islands. Those settings are mostly fine with me. Not sure about tech stagnation. I haven't really tried it but I fear it might unbalance the game for tech factions...not sure though. And turning Spoils of War off makes probes more useful. And probes are very well-done and balanced in SMAX.

Quote:
since this is Shai Hulud's thread, he has final say
I just love to have authority transferred to me voluntarily. And I am Shai-Hulud, the Worm God
Old January 31, 2002, 17:47   #7
Qantaga
King

Bump...

Anyone else interested?

If you are looking for a reliable game, I can tell from the CGN site that Shai-Hulud and Darsnan are putting out the turns at an amazing rate.
Old January 31, 2002, 21:03   #8
Radman
Prince

Local Time: 12:56
Hi all:

I'd be interested in playing! Sounds fun. The only item which I would like to see is that each player AT LEAST PROVIDES A MOVE A DAY (unless out on business, etc.) and posts their moves. Otherwise the games are slow and eventually die a horrible and crappy death. If that's the preference for those involved, count me in. My email address is bferdy@cs.com.

In regards to the faction, doesn't matter! Talk to you all later.

Radman
Old February 1, 2002, 00:47   #9
duMa
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Greetings all!

Very interested, here. I'm quite open to the faction, but I think my flavour of the day is Morganites. This may change by tomorrow

My rule preferences differ from Darsnan's in the following ways:

low erosion (mountainous)

As far as rules:
blind research on
spoils of war, tech stag, etc. off

Yepyep, that's that. But it's the radio-station deal, like Darsnan was saying. One thing I must insist on, agreeing with Radman, is the 'one-turn-a-day' rule.

Two items of note: I do not have SMAX and I do not have a Mac. I only mention this, as it appears there are lots of Mac Users on this board (am I missing something in this respect?

modowd724@hotmail.com

Look forward to playing!
Old February 1, 2002, 00:57   #10
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

OK, we now have 4 players for this game, and not to speak for Shai Hulud who is sleeping right now, but these are enough players.

Qantaga:
game is SMAC
Players are:
Shai Hulud (no faction choice at this time)
Darsnan (Gaians as usual)
Radman (no choice)
duMa (Morganites prefered)

I'd say, wait for faction preferences to be submitted by each player, then proceed (and thanx for the "bump"!).

D

-=Vel=-
Old February 1, 2002, 08:53   #11
Shai-Hulud
Prince

I was certain that my cry for MP has already vanished into the oblivion. But the Qantaqa said the magic word..."bump" and the darkness faded away at that instant...and the thread was at long last active

Quote:
I can tell from the CGN site that Shai-Hulud and Darsnan are putting out the turns at an amazing rate
When we're in, we're in for some serious gaming

And the players are...

Shai Hulud (University or Morganites, depends how does duMa prefer)
Darsnan (Gaians as usual)
Radman (no choice)
duMa (Morganites prefered)

...we can have more than that if someone wants in.
Old February 1, 2002, 09:44   #12
Qantaga
King

Okay, it looks like this is shaping up quite nicely.

I will need you all to form agreement on a few things before getting started:

1. Map - Shai-Hulud has mentioned Dilithium Dad's Ultimate Builder map (which is a Huge map) while Darsnan has posted a Large map preference. I can set it up as a random map, where I will go in and playtest it to make sure the landing sites are fair for everyone. Or I can dream up a little more elaborate scenario for you if you would rather.

2. Game settings - You will all need to agree on the various and sundry items, such as blind or directed research, whether to allow cooperative victory or not, look first, world conditions, pod scattering, unity survey, etc.

3. Final faction choices: Radman's choice and whether duMa's flavour of choice is still Morgan today.

4. I don't need to know your game rules to set up the map, but you may want to start discussing any rules you wish to use in this game. A good starting point would be the Apolyton Tournament Rules found HERE.

5. A name for the game.

As Darsnan stated, we have enough to start, but if a fifth player would like to join, as Shai-Hulud says, and commit to the one turn per day rate of this game, there is still a little time.

Also, if you have a preferred password that you would like to use for this game, you can send it to me. Otherwise, I will just assign you one. My e-mail is:

Qantaga@aol.com
Old February 1, 2002, 09:49   #13
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

Huge map is fine with me. Apolyton PBEM rules sounds good to me. I've posted my choices above for game preferences. Name for the game: since this is Shai Hulud's game, maybe we should call it "The Worm's Lair"!
My E-Mail address: dnandal@twcny.rr.com

Thanx for the Help, Q!
D

-=Vel=-
Old February 1, 2002, 10:32   #14
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Map
DilithiumDad's map is a good one but other's would do. I dislike the random generator because it can't make continents, still can't believe they didn't think of that. Of course, you can always choose large land mass but that takes two much away from the Navy. I'd rather have balanced map with enough ocean for naval strategies. If our CMN has a spare time he could take a random map and shape it. Big continents and big oceans, not to forget islands. Balance with diversity.

Game settings
Definitely Cooperative Victory enabled, it's a basis of any lasting diplomatic effort. It's one of those things that makes SMAC a great game. Default settings will do for me, and I prefer them too.

Quote:
maybe we should call it "The Worm's Lair"!
What is that? I don't think it has anything to do with F.H's Dune. Snap out of it! It sounds like a cliche...
Old February 1, 2002, 10:37   #15
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Let's dwell deep into the Fremen mythology...bear with me . How about 'Alam al-Mithal', the mythical dimension of similarities without any physical restrictions. Or is that too taleban?...seriously, any will do...except "The Worm's Lair". No offense Darsnan
Old February 1, 2002, 19:48   #16
smhfan86
King

ohh, ooh, can I join too?

I'd love to play the Hive, partly cuz they're so different from the PKs, which I'm using for another game.

my email address is callistosdarkside@rogers.com

-CDS/smhfan86
Old February 1, 2002, 20:02   #17
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Sure and Hive's available. You have any preferences for the game? I think you could start making that map Qantaga. I think Huge Map will do. Few larger continents, some islands and balanced landing sites, hopefully strategically located landmarks. We could also think of starting with few extra colony pods to make things faster - but that's just an idea.
Old February 1, 2002, 21:14   #18
smhfan86
King

Great!

I'm cool with whatever preferences you guys decide on.

And yeah, we should start out with a few more colony pods, especially if we have a huge map.
Old February 1, 2002, 21:17   #19
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shai-Hulud
How about 'Alam al-Mithal', the mythical dimension of similarities without any physical restrictions.
Alam al-Mithal is fine with me for the game title. As far as the title "The Worm's Lair" was concerned: wasn't really serious. However, isn't "Shai Hulud" a sandworm on Dune? It's been a while since I read Dune, so forgive me if I missed the mark with my comment - I was making an association between sandworm Shai Hulud and mindworms on Planet.

-=Vel=-
Old February 1, 2002, 21:27   #20
Radman
Prince

Hi all:

I see we need to select a faction, so how about PK. Sounds good to me! As to my preferences on the particulars of the game, I'm open as it doens't matter as we all have to live by the same rules on the same planet. In all respects, I kinda like just a random map (great for real life as you play the hand given to you). But is doesn't really matter either way.

I'm ready whenever, so lets the games begin (sinces its so close to the Olympics)!

Radman
Old February 2, 2002, 01:44   #21
Qantaga
King

Okay, things are shaping up.

I am working on a map and I have a pretty good idea of what you all want. However, I am going to give this thread another day for more comments. This is a game that, hopefully, you will be playing for the next several months, so now's the time to speak up if you have anything specific you would like in the game.

There seems to be no clear consensus on tech stag, spoils of war, blind or directed research and random events. I would really like to see a group consensus, or a Shai-Hulud (the driver) dictate, on these rather than trying to guess what you might like.

I will put together a Huge, Random map, but I will shape it along the lines of Shai-Hulud's suggestions. I will give everyone two extra pods and two extra scout patrols to speed things up a bit.

Here are the factions I have:

Shai-Hulud - University
duMa - Morgan
Darsnan - Gaians
smhfan86 - Hive
Radman - Peacekeepers

One other item for you to consider. Being a SMAC game (because duMa only owns SMAC), I am assuming that you all want Miriam and Santiago to remain in the game. I could eliminate them altogether if you just want human players. Of course on a Huge map, I can hide them from you for a little while.

Also, don't forget that if you have a favorite password you would like to use for this game, send it to me at: Qantaga@aol.com
Old February 2, 2002, 01:54   #22
smhfan86
King

okay, because duma only has smac, does that mean the hive's no negative efficiency immunity is gone?

I got smacx with the latest update, so do i have to choose classic when we play?

because we're playing huge, it might be best to have tech stag and let everyone grow before we start bombarding each other with planes.
Old February 2, 2002, 01:56   #23
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

Everything looks great to me, Q! As far as having the AI factions involved: my vote is lets just have the 5 human factions and be done with it (or else hide them, as Q suggests).

-=Vel=-
Old February 2, 2002, 02:14   #24
Qantaga
King

Quote:
Originally posted by smhfan86
okay, because duma only has smac, does that mean the hive's no negative efficiency immunity is gone?
The Hive's efficiency immunity will still be there. This will be the latest patched version (4.0) of SMAC

Quote:
I got smacx with the latest update, so do i have to choose classic when we play?
Yes, you will just choose the Classic game.

Quote:
because we're playing huge, it might be best to have tech stag and let everyone grow before we start bombarding each other with planes.
You may already be aware of this, but technology is discovered at a slower rate on a Huge map, so there is an almost natural tech stag that occurs on a Huge map. IIRC, a Large map carries a tech cost multiplier of 1.1, while a Huge map carries a tech cost multiplier of 1.6. So, a Huge map already slows tech down a little.
Old February 2, 2002, 02:34   #25
smhfan86
King

Thanx for clearing everything up.

If tech's automatically slower on huge, then either way's good for me.
Old February 2, 2002, 04:48   #26
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Quote:
I was making an association between sandworm Shai Hulud and mindworms on Planet.
I love you like a brother Darsnan but I don't want to hear about Worm's Lair ever again ...

My suggestions for the game settings:

Higher Victory
Total War
Peace in our Time
Mine, All Mine
One for All
Blind research
No Unity Survey
(Spoils of War is an open question. Since there are no SMAX factions, we could allow it. But it takes something away from the probes. I usually play without it)

Players

Shai-Hulud - University
duMa - Morgan
Darsnan - Gaians
smhfan86 - Hive
Radman - Peacekeepers
Old February 2, 2002, 05:22   #27
duMa
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
The rules by Shai-Hulud's hand look great!
I tend to lean towards the classical rules.
I especially like the Blind Research.

Thanks for deciding upon the Morganites for me. I'd been thinking about it recently and am really piqued on playing them!

Okay... that's it.
Old February 2, 2002, 05:31   #28
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Oh, and Qantaga, if we don't get more players than this we need to take few AI's with us(though not necessarily). But if we are going to take AI in, we need to...spice them up a bit. Regular AI, even on Transcend, is hardly a foe when compared to human.
Old February 2, 2002, 07:18   #29
smhfan86
King

all the settings look good. the only one i'd like different is to put blind research off. i just like to know what i'm getting.
Old February 2, 2002, 08:44   #30
Radman
Prince

Hi all:

Great participation in the setup of the game! Good job. Just remember once its started don't let such participation dwindle to nothing! I'm ready when ever you all are!!!

Radman