Old February 2, 2002, 09:01   #31
duMa
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Heyhey. I should probably leave this part to the CMN, but I'd like to point out a current 'vote' of 2-to-1 for Blind Research.

And since I prefer it, let me step briefly upon my soapbox for a moment to promote it, giving the game a little more mystery and strategy to deal with the unknown. Not to mention a touch of realism (I think).

Speaking of mystery, what say we limit the Comm channels to only implement them when we have justifiable Comms connections... IE, when we can see another's unit, or when we make a deal with another to give over a Comm frequency? This is an honour system thing, I think, might be fun, I've seen others trying it. To what success, I can't say. I'm not fixated on this either, but it might be fun. It also might just be too much trouble :>

On a footnote, I'm pretty amazed at all the versions of SMA* out there now! What rock have I been hiding under? One covered with much fungus, I'm sure!
Old February 2, 2002, 09:14   #32
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 21:56
Just waiting for Qantaga to finish up with the map. And, not too late to join if someone wants in. If more people want directed research, then speak out, because otherwise it's blind(not such a big deal though).

Thread by Helium Pond:Consensus on Cheating, Repost

Those rules seem fine to me, we could discuss some of them, if needed. But if not, then I'd like to rule any kind of cheating or taking advantage of "features" out.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old February 2, 2002, 10:41   #33
Radman
Prince

Local Time: 12:56
Hi all:

I guess I'd better step up prior to moving on and say for the record, although "more the merrier", in the PBEM games, when you have more than 4-5 people, they just never go anywhere as people tire, drop out or just plain dissappear. I say we go with 5 people and get on with it. Otherwise, I'm afraid that this game is going to go nowhere!

Radman
Old February 2, 2002, 11:20   #34
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 14:56
Thanks for your responses. I think we have almost everything I need.

Just a few more things:

- As I am reading it, it looks like Shai-Hulud and duMa want blind research while Darsnan and smhfan86 both have expressed a choice for directed. This is such a critical choice in shaping the path of the game, that we really want to have a consensus, so I'd like to get Radman's vote one way or the other. Of course, Shai-Hulud could use his "driver" vote and tell me definitely that blind research is on.

- Darsnan originally posted a choice for 30-50% oceans and everyone has seemed to go along with that. However, looking around on the Huge map, that is an awful lot of land. Of course, I can shape things around a bit, but if you want some islands and some room for naval maneuvering (as Shai-Hulud posted before), then you may want to go with 50-70% oceans. That still leaves more than enough land for everyone. Shai-Hulud since this game is your vision, perhaps you can give me your thoughts.

- I do think that Radman is correct, that we should leave this at 5 players. I am in a 7-player game with some very reliable players who have been on these boards for a long time. Even in that game, the turns only come every three days or so.

- Shai-Hulud, you can either post here or e-mail me the free tech that you want as University.

Otherwise, things are shaping up nicely.

Last edited by Qantaga; February 2, 2002 at 15:03.
Old February 2, 2002, 14:01   #35
smhfan86
King

are we allowing in-game communicatation right away, or are we waiting for in-game contact? if we wait for in-game contact, comm signals will become more valuable, not to mention the empath guild.

plus we'll have a natural tech stag, cuz we won't be trading off the bat.
Old February 2, 2002, 17:43   #36
Radman
Prince

I guess in the deciding vote on technology development. It would be my preference to not have it blind. In regards to the continents, either way is fine by me!

Finally, I think we should wait for contact in regards to communication between the factions. Talk to you all later.

Radman
Old February 2, 2002, 20:10   #37
Qantaga
King

The map is in place. I am going to spend some time tonight testing the game to make sure everything plays out okay. Assuming the testing goes well, I will get the game out tomorrow.
Old February 2, 2002, 20:27   #38
Radman
Prince

Hi Qantaga:

Hey, thanks alot. I know it must take a whole lot of your time. We really appreciate your assistance.

Radman
Old February 2, 2002, 20:30   #39
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Heah Q,
ditto on Radman's comments: really appreciated!

-=Vel=-
Old February 2, 2002, 22:46   #40
duMa
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Mucho appreciated, Qantago.

My apologies to all for mis-counting the votes regarding blind research earlier... but what can you expect from Morganic Statistical Analysis?

Yep, don't know if you've already set up turns and whatnot, but it might be noted that Shai-Hulud are in the same area of the world, so timing may be a consideration.

Is it possible that you post up a 'Set in Stone Tablet' for the rules, Qantago? Just to offer final clarification for the previously 'hot issues.'

Thanks, thanks!
Old February 3, 2002, 03:15   #41
smhfan86
King

Yes, thanx a bunch Qantaga, you rule!

Could you list the order in which we take turns with our email addresses next to each name?
Old February 3, 2002, 05:11   #42
Shai-Hulud
Prince

That's what you get when you're having a party...missing all the fun on the Apolyton forums

Alright then...
1. 5 players is fine with me and no one else seem to be interested anyway
2. I vote for Blind, but I won't use my VETO, not such a big deal for me
3. Comm's available ONLY after real contact(there's also a line in alpha.txt that determines whether you can contact others in MP prior to having actual contact...why can't we all just turn it off)
4. 50-70% oceans are fine with me, actually I prefer it.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old February 3, 2002, 10:47   #43
Qantaga
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shai-Hulud
That's what you get when you're having a party...
Shai-Hulud, I didn't get my invitation to your party. It must have been lost in the mail.

Last edited by Qantaga; February 3, 2002 at 11:26.
Old February 3, 2002, 11:25   #44
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Yeah...what do you know...damn post office!

My email's janne.huttunen@kolumbus.fi

Great work Qantaga, thanks.
Old February 3, 2002, 11:28   #45
Qantaga
King

Great! I have all e-mails now.

I have just a couple of last minute tweaks to the map. The first turn should go out within a couple of hours.
Old February 3, 2002, 14:37   #46
Qantaga
King

The game has begun!

I have started a new, turn-tracking thread HERE.