Old February 11, 2002, 23:14   #31
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Chowlett,
Hold down the control key and press P at same time to scroll through old messages. Your not getting any closer on the reluctant thing and I'm not helping by mentioning corridors. The corridors are only interesting because they make the pet's avoidance of an object more obvious, because they have less options about where to go.

They seem to avoid walking on things that they don't like. You will soon find out why if you try to use that item that they were avoiding.

Until you get the hang of things like this, I would play as a Valkyrie. Most other types are too hard to make a start with.

BTW,
What are all of those other guys doing in our Nethack thread?
Old February 11, 2002, 23:21   #32
MattyBoy
Prince

Another handy nethack tip:

Let your foes come to you.

If you step into them before taking a swing, they usually take a swing at you as you are arriving. If you wait for them to approach, you get a chance to swing at them as they arrive in front of you.
Old February 12, 2002, 08:00   #33
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:57
Another death: (from Sopwith)

Flying upsidedown in a plane, dropping a bomb on yourself!!
A variation of that:
Sending a bomb directly up in the air, forget about it, then as you are flying back, have it fall on top of your plane.
Old February 12, 2002, 08:08   #34
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MattyBoy
Chowlett,
Hold down the control key and press P at same time to scroll through old messages. Your not getting any closer on the reluctant thing and I'm not helping by mentioning corridors. The corridors are only interesting because they make the pet's avoidance of an object more obvious, because they have less options about where to go.

They seem to avoid walking on things that they don't like. You will soon find out why if you try to use that item that they were avoiding.

Until you get the hang of things like this, I would play as a Valkyrie. Most other types are too hard to make a start with.

BTW,
What are all of those other guys doing in our Nethack thread?
I thought I'd tried Ctrl. Ah well, must be my brain playing up.

So reluctance probably indicates a cursed item? Useful indeed. I'd picked up on the "wait to be attacked" thing. Latest attempt saw a Valkyrie (called Ride Of - ahahaha) make it to DLvl 14 I think.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old March 14, 2002, 21:29   #35
MattyBoy
Prince

Level 14!
I think you're on your own, then.

Just eat plenty of Giants on your quest (but careful if you are having a hard time getting it all down),
then don't look too closely at the Medusa if you find a level that is mostly water.
Old March 15, 2002, 21:32   #36
Qilue
King

There's been quite a few.

Diablo 2.
I was playing a javazon and was with two barbs during a run through the act 3 sewers in nightmare. We had separated and I encountered a fire enchanted stygian doll unique. In a stoke of divine luck, I was separated from it by a canal. Having run out out of mana (and mana potions), I was doing ordinary throws and it was almost dead. All of a sudden, up runs one of the barbs and he leap attacks it.

Hroo
Argh

(Explanation for non D2 players. Stygian dolls explode and cause damage when they die if you are next to them. Unique ones do a lot more damage. A fire enchanted version will generally kill any character in nightmare difficulty even if at full health.)
Old March 15, 2002, 21:52   #37
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Once in Ultima 6, I tried to make my character as drunk as he could be. Unfortunately, I ran into a dragon shortly thereafter.....
Old March 16, 2002, 01:05   #38
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 12:57
In the old Strike Eagle II, I was flying a mission over the Hanoi area. I had taken out both my primary and secondary targets (as well as several other targets of opportunity) and had climbed high to make my exit towards the Gulf of Tokin. (A high exit was accepted exit stategy. That way, if you're hit, you have a better chance of making it out over the Gulf before you bail out, resulting in rescue rather than capture.)

But there was a SAM site that was just being a little too pesky. I still had a Maverick left, so I did a 180, came back a ways and popped it off. But that brought me back into range of some other SAM sites, plus some MIGs that had joined in the fun. After taking a couple of hits, my air speed started dropping dramatically. It didn't take long to realize that, not only was I not going to make it home, I wasn't even going to make it out over the Gulf. I put my Strike Eagle into a shallow dive to increase air speed, but I got hit again. Other missiles were swarming in after me, and I knew one more hit would finish me.

So I bailed...knowing that meant sure capture. And I counted, as my plane fell below me, FOURTEEN more missile hits. Man, those guys sure wanted to kill me.
Old March 23, 2002, 02:42   #39
RonHiler
Warlord

Local Time: 11:57
Most memorable death ever: Floyd from Planetfall (by Infocom, anybody remember that one?)
Old July 11, 2002, 00:24   #40
MattyBoy
Prince

For once I am not threadjacking...
Playing Nethack 3.4 as Monk and doing well early, picking up treats in shops painstakingly, then find stairs and arrive in darkness. I cannot see any monsters yet, when a potion crashes over my head, my feet are frozen to the ground, then a gnome king hits me. I hit the space bar because I can't bear to watch until I regain control, but I die first.

Why do I play this game again?
Old July 11, 2002, 00:40   #41
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Final Fantasy 2 (NES, emulated). I get too excited to take out a party of goblins, and I accidentally order my party's best warrior to attack himself with an axe. Very intelligent.
Old July 11, 2002, 00:50   #42
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
FF7. Everyone who has played to CD 4 knows what the most memorable death is.

MattyBoy, this thread is old. Who is this kassiopeia who started it? What has happened to him?
Old July 11, 2002, 02:13   #43
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

That's fascinating, kassiopea, being that FF7 doesn't have a 4th CD.

I always enjoyed the Gogo fight in FF5... he says that he'll do whatever you do. My conclusion was that I had to figure out a way to make him kill himself. So I said "Hey Gogo! Look at this!" and had Faris, a Knight, chop her head off with the Excalibur (got a critical hit, thunked herself for 4000 damage!). My roommate and I just rolled on the floor after that slightly unintended consequence.

Anybody who checked Myth replays would know one epic death, though not mine- some fighting broke out early between two players, one of them sending in 2 ghols in to chop up the other guy's dwarves, and quite effectively too. One of the ghols survived and there was only 1 dwarf left of the 3... the thing is, he killed the dwarf just as he was starting his toss. So the molotov cocktail was out, but not thrown, and started simply to fall to the ground. Meanwhile, the dwarves satchel charges fell to the ground... result, BOOOOM! The ghol was turned into a fine red mist as the dwarf's last bomb gained vengeance for his death.
So far, amusing, but reasonably common. The fun thing was, the person whose dwarf got blown up continued on, marching south to harry another foe... except that, about a minute after the original explosion, the ghol's cleaver, which had been rocketed into the air at the explosion, came down- on one of his weakened thrall, killing it! It's hillarious seeing this cleaver from the heavens, still kept track of by the physics engine, come down and kill the thrall.
Old July 11, 2002, 19:40   #44
MattyBoy
Prince

Kassiopeia, the thread stuck in my mind.
And reopening it has brought out some classic stories already.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:21   #45
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Well done, great thread this one.
Old July 12, 2002, 03:43   #46
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I haven't played Nethack, but I am playing Zangband.

When you start off, you can be killed by an irritated sparrow.

Trust me on this.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 12, 2002, 03:56   #47
Skanky Burns

Old July 12, 2002, 04:12   #48
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

There were, of course, my first twenty or so deaths in Super Mario Brothers. It was before I learned how to jump, so I walked - very slowly - into the very first Goomba that sauntered towards me at the beginning of world 1-1.
Old July 12, 2002, 13:56   #49
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 21:57
Baldur's gate and BG2 as well of course...

quite simple really, there are tons of mind spells there that take control of your mind so you can't control your chars anymore... well, dire charm for example which is a very low level spell that quite about everybody can cast, when it is cast on my party, hits about 3 ppl or something, and after that i just see how my own members kill my remaining chars in like 3 seconds... very frustrating

Another favourite is confusion, or hold, and so on... nothing much you can do about it, and every time i have to reload

That's the only thing i really hate in BG...those spells, other than that the game is perfect!
Old July 12, 2002, 15:08   #50
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:57
GTA3... running too fast down stairs or a steep slope and falling to your death.

...getting rammed by a minivan after running a red light, losing control, and veering into the ocean.
Old July 12, 2002, 21:30   #51
Mr. President
Emperor

Looking for bonus rooms in Donkey Kong Country, you often find yourself jumping into holes. It's not as impressive-sounding as getting hit with a Confusion spell, but it looks really funny.

Sometimes in Pokemon, you're forced to send one of your monsters out against an opponent whose type is super-effective against it and you get hit for about 200 damage in one attack. It took me about a hundred tries to pass the Psychic gym (in the Red edition), because Psychic attacks were almost unstoppable before the introduction of Dark-type Pokemon in Gold / Silver.
Old July 12, 2002, 21:52   #52
Space05us
King

Local Time: 07:57
heh. I have one. (from last night too )
I had been playing Wizardry 8 on iron man mode (which means you can't save during gameplay) for about three hours when I got into an elevator and went up...squish.
Old July 14, 2002, 19:38   #53
MattyBoy
Prince

Huh?

What's dangerous about going up in an elevator?

Mr President,
Are there good Pokemon games? I wasn't willing to try any.
Old July 14, 2002, 20:06   #54
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
That's fascinating, kassiopea, being that FF7 doesn't have a 4th CD.
Oh well, I meant the last CD. (too much FF8) Silly that, considering I've played FF7 through thrice.

Quote:
I always enjoyed the Gogo fight in FF5... he says that he'll do whatever you do. My conclusion was that I had to figure out a way to make him kill himself. So I said "Hey Gogo! Look at this!" and had Faris, a Knight, chop her head off with the Excalibur (got a critical hit, thunked herself for 4000 damage!). My roommate and I just rolled on the floor after that slightly unintended consequence.
FF5? Are you sure? You mean both FF5 and FF6 have Gogo?
Old July 14, 2002, 22:34   #55
Skanky Burns

Playing Thief in ironman mode. I got through the entire mission, grabbed all the gold available and had just gotten the Horn of Quintus. I then jumped off the ladder, badly, and fell to my death.
And all I needed to do at that point was to get down the ladder and run through the caves to my freedom.
Old July 15, 2002, 00:58   #56
Space05us
King

Local Time: 07:57
I guess thats someones way of saying we shouldn't play so much...

Quote:
What's dangerous about going up in an elevator?
I was sticking half in half out. and didn't think of the ceiling.
Old July 15, 2002, 01:28   #57
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
FF5? Are you sure? You mean both FF5 and FF6 have Gogo?
Yup. In FF5, when that tower sinks, there's that one shard that is out of reach. Once you get the submarine, when you go to the submerged tower, Gogo is at the top and you fight him for the shard (which gives the Mime class, IIRC).
Old July 15, 2002, 02:53   #58
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I will use an edit here

wrong thread

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 02:59   #59
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

hmm

probably should add something

there was the one time I died in FF7

I fell asleep while playing and ran into a random encounter

if I had just attacked once, my oponents would be dead

but some how they killed me, (I think my casting the counting down death thing on me, and then the counter running out)

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 11:09   #60
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 12:57
In Stunts, I was racing against the legendary Helen Wheels. I had opened up a respectable lead when I roared into a 270 degree banked curve.

As I came out of the curve, I was doing in excess of 200 miles per hour. Suddenly, my wrecked car was flying sideways.

The instant replay showed Helen Wheels had entered the intersection leading into the curve a nanosection after I had entered that same intersection as I was exiting it. She had broadsided me. Needless to say, that match was a draw, both contestants being DOA.