Old January 29, 2002, 18:41   #1
MGamer07
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unfair Deals
I was using Gunpowder to persuade America to join me in a military alliance against Greece, and got about 53g per turn from them for the tech. But the 53g per turn would continue until the alliance was over, so you can get easy money by eliminating your enemy down to one small city to be their capital, then surrounding it in units so your ally can't attack. This will probably also work with Rite of Passage and Peace Treatys, although Peace Treatys have to be renegotiated, stopping the cash flow. I've got a few alliances going, and am getting 250g per turn from foreign civs alone. Soon those civs will be driven into debt from the cost, leaving them no money for research and slowly making them an easy target.
Old January 29, 2002, 18:48   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 20:57
All treaties, including alliances, RoP, MPP and trade deals, can be peacefully cancelled after 20 turns. So blocking your ally from destroying your common enemy won't help, as your ally can cancel the alliance after 20 turns (and probably will).
Old January 29, 2002, 19:49   #3
MGamer07
Chieftain

Heh, thats true, but I've held an ally for 25 turns before, as they were desperate for my help (I was the only thing keeping them from being wiped off the face of the earth). So it's possible to hold it out.
Old January 29, 2002, 20:12   #4
hannibcannib
Settler

Local Time: 11:57
thats a really cool way of getting money
Old January 30, 2002, 07:02   #5
kapapj
Settler

Local Time: 20:57
Deals last for 20 turns. Some are cancelled automaticaly (gifts). Most businessdeals , peace, ROP, alliances CAN be renegotiated after 20 years for again a period of 20 years.

Normally the AI will break it open to improve their profits. So if the AI isn't doing it probably you can get a better deal!
Old January 30, 2002, 11:01   #6
jodiecon
Settler

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Actually, I'm in a game now where I have had Rite of Passage etc with a Civ for many, many more turns than 20. If the deal is good for both sides, it can keep going. If neither cancels it, it remains active.
Old January 30, 2002, 11:24   #7
Haertgaeden
Settler

Local Time: 14:57
Quote:
Originally posted by jodiecon
Actually, I'm in a game now where I have had Rite of Passage etc with a Civ for many, many more turns than 20. If the deal is good for both sides, it can keep going. If neither cancels it, it remains active.
Same here. In my last game, the Chinese were paying me several gold per turn for a luxury item for most of the game.
Old January 30, 2002, 13:27   #8
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 15:57
Actually, in my current game as Babylon, India has been my ally in an interminable war against Persia. Persia offered peace several times, but "not one cent for tribute," so I refused...and also I didn't want to piss off my ally by making a separate peace. I expected to wait for India to make peace, and then do so myself (as my objectives have been fulfilled). To my surprise, India has never made peace. Well, I razed Persepolis last night, and my Republic is war weary--and gee, I think Xerxes offered about 20 gold for peace--but I may settle anyway.

I'll probably promptly end up in a war with India, or with my other neighbor Russia. Both attacked me earlier without provocation. India settled after losing three cities, and Russia was positively eager to settle after only one city.

But now (circa 1300 AD), I'm emerging as the Industrial tech leader as well as the military and resource leader, so I'm expecting a gangup.

I can handle it.

I think.
Old January 30, 2002, 13:45   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:57
If there is no empty space on the land mass you are on, or you have resources/lux they need, that is provocaton to them. What was that Hitler said "lebstraum" or something that mean they needed more land and you have it.
Old January 30, 2002, 18:07   #10
MGamer07
Chieftain

Probably the best way to do this is get an isolated civ on an island, make a city with a harbor, conquer them at first to get cities with important resources, then make peace with them. Keep a force of privateers handy to stop any expansion off of the island, but not get blamed. You could then control their trade for insane amounts of money since you're the only way they can get it.

-Edit-

Just thought of something else, you could get them to go into a military alliance with you against a power on your continent, then surround every one of their harbors with privateers to stop their soldiers. So then you have them dependant for resources from you to fight the war, but they can't get to the war to gain new resources.

Last edited by MGamer07; January 30, 2002 at 18:13.
Old January 31, 2002, 12:57   #11
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 16:57
unfair deals indeed! rome wont even give me inscence for gems furs silks wines dyes and ivory! or inscence for any amount of cities even ones with wonders in them. i thought the AI liked getting cities. once you add a city into the deal *poof*:"they would never accept such a deal" i do however enjoy how the AI will often give me 40 gold or so per turn, per luxury