Old January 30, 2002, 14:12   #1
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yikes! Corruption!
I'm playing a game on a huge map. I've established some settlements half way across the map. Even with a democratic government, courthouse, temple, colloseum, cathedral and police station corruption in these cities chews up more than 90% of income and production. Is there any other way to reduce this corruption?
Old January 30, 2002, 14:31   #2
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 20:59
Nope, not if you don´t play a mod. The rules effectively prohibits large empires and thus it´s more cost efficient to raze the cities you conquer if they´re not in your immediate vicinity.
Old January 30, 2002, 15:23   #3
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I wonder if any of the saved game editors would enable me to change the corruption/distance modifier of my current game?
Old January 30, 2002, 16:20   #4
Bautou
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
I wonder if any of the saved game editors would enable me to change the corruption/distance modifier of my current game?
Although Firaxis doesn't recommend this, you can successfully use the default Civ3 editor to modify the Civ3mod.bic file and thus cause changes in your saved games (at least, I have). Just open up the editor, go to the World Sizes tab, and reset the Optimal # of cities higher in whatever size world maps you play. Save the file as Civ3mod.bic (make you rename or move the old civ3mod.bic or else you'll have to reinstall the game again if you want it back) and your save games should have less corruption (you can also add Corruption reducing properties to your buildings this way too, if you want).
Old January 30, 2002, 16:40   #5
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Yep, that should do it. However, in my recent SMAC-campaign I don´t have that problem, fortunately I OWN the planet!
Old January 30, 2002, 17:08   #6
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
Nope, not if you don´t play a mod. The rules effectively prohibits large empires and thus it´s more cost efficient to raze the cities you conquer if they´re not in your immediate vicinity.
I conquer without razing, so large empires are not prohibited. Try saving a Great Leader to rush the Forbidden Palace.
Old January 30, 2002, 17:23   #7
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel
I conquer without razing, so large empires are not prohibited. Try saving a Great Leader to rush the Forbidden Palace.
What I mean is, there´s SERIOUS obstacles to overcome if you want to dominate in Civ3. Besides, the forbidden palace won´t do jack if you´re spread over 3 continents

Before I uninstalled Civ3 I´ve played a mod which had "regional palaces", that actually worked. I was spread over three medium sized continents after annihilating in turn the English, the French and the Persians (I played the Babylonians), but the corruption never got above 10% of my GNP.
Old January 30, 2002, 18:42   #8
Zachriel
King

Don't worry about corruption. Some cities will never be a Paris or a Shang Hai. I live in a little town and I don't think we'll ever have a major colloseum, though we did have a bowling alley once before it burned down about 30 years ago.

If you need improvements in certain outlying cities, then rush them. Nothing a little money can't fix.
Old January 30, 2002, 20:46   #9
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bautou

Although Firaxis doesn't recommend this, you can successfully use the default Civ3 editor to modify the Civ3mod.bic file and thus cause changes in your saved games (at least, I have). Just open up the editor, go to the World Sizes tab, and reset the Optimal # of cities higher in whatever size world maps you play. Save the file as Civ3mod.bic (make you rename or move the old civ3mod.bic or else you'll have to reinstall the game again if you want it back) and your save games should have less corruption (you can also add Corruption reducing properties to your buildings this way too, if you want).
I tried your suggestion, but the civ3mod.bic file simply gets saved as a seperate scenario and therefore has no effect on my saved game.
Old January 31, 2002, 03:22   #10
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel
Don't worry about corruption. Some cities will never be a Paris or a Shang Hai. I live in a little town and I don't think we'll ever have a major colloseum, though we did have a bowling alley once before it burned down about 30 years ago.
Old January 31, 2002, 16:21   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
Quote:
I tried your suggestion, but the civ3mod.bic file simply gets saved as a seperate scenario and therefore has no effect on my saved game.
Back up civ3mod.bic (call it "civ3mod original.bic" or something); Edit file; Save with original name in original location. (Sorry, this is rehash, but this worked for me.)

Note: when I resumed my game in progress after upgrading to 1.16f my mounted units were able to enter unroaded mountains/jungles. It is possible that some things will not change when you modify the civ3mod in mid-game.

Edit: version 1.16f (not 1.17f)

Last edited by Jaybe; February 6, 2002 at 00:16.
Old February 1, 2002, 00:25   #12
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

Back up civ3mod.bic (call it "civ3mod original.bic" or something); Edit file; Save with original name in original location. (Sorry, this is rehash, but this worked for me.)

Note: when I resumed my game in progress after upgrading to 1.17f my mounted units were able to enter unroaded mountains/jungles. It is possible that some things will not change when you modify the civ3mod in mid-game.
Where is civ3mod.bic located?
Old February 1, 2002, 02:24   #13
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Where is civ3mod.bic located?
In the same directory as your CIV3 executable.

Quote:
corruption in these cities chews up more than 90% of income and production
Muhahaha ... your distant cities have Turned to the dark side of the Force....