Old January 31, 2002, 22:14   #1
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 20:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
For Gods Sake!
why is it that CONSITENTLY aztec juguar thingies (with attack of 1, def of 1) beat my vet swordsman and horseman - ok it is mainly on jungle terrain, but the point is my forces way outclass them but they win about 90% of the battles (attack and defence) where as i seem a bit unfairly treat with consitently bad results
Old February 1, 2002, 02:40   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:03
Re: For Gods Sake!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Andy-Man
why is it that CONSITENTLY aztec juguar thingies (with attack of 1, def of 1) beat my vet swordsman and horseman - ok it is mainly on jungle terrain, but the point is my forces way outclass them but they win about 90% of the battles (attack and defence) where as i seem a bit unfairly treat with consitently bad results
Jag warriors have a movement of 2, and I believe they also have the retreat function that Horsemen do. That's why you're getting your ass wiped. Just wait until you come across the Samurai. Same deal with the retreat, but attack/defence both of 4. Wiped out an Army of my swordsmen like they were made of butter.
Old February 1, 2002, 09:55   #3
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 20:03
the retreat thing is fine, its the fact my units are literally dying
Old February 1, 2002, 10:15   #4
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:03
Jungle gives a quite big defense bonus, so you should rather let them attack than attack yourself. But, in defense a swordsman is not better than a (cheaper) spearman. Jags are very cheap, come usually in masses and can retreat, that makes them a real pain.
Old February 1, 2002, 12:04   #5
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Jungle gives a quite big defense bonus, so you should rather let them attack than attack yourself. But, in defense a swordsman is not better than a (cheaper) spearman. Jags are very cheap, come usually in masses and can retreat, that makes them a real pain.
Supirority by numbers is my tatic.
Old February 1, 2002, 17:04   #6
Quokka
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:03
I have noticed the same thing the higher the level I play. It seems to me that the AI recieves the same combat bonuses that the Barbarians recieve. Last night I lost 6 MW to Warriors when I was attacking in the desert. This is on Monarch. I have just started playing Monarch after comfortably beating Regent a few times.
The noticably stronger Barbs mean that I tend to play Expansionist Civs more on Monarch to avoid most of that problem for a while. But I also seem to lose a lot more battles against other Civs. I am getting slaughtered by the AI. I launched and attack against the Russians 4 groups of 4 MW's against 4 cities. I lost 1 MW at each city but eventually won and got my GA(the whole point really). Over the next two turns I lost 6 more MW's to warriors while attacking. The warriors in the open took out more troops than fortified spearmen in cities!?! So I lost 10 out of 16 MW's in 3 turns. An expensive war to say the least.
I know this is off the track of those damn Jag warriors but it reflects the same sort of anomolies. As for the Jags, masses of them slice through me like a hot knife through butter. I never seem to have enough defense against them. Impi's are worse, they are harder to kill on the counter attack. The best way to deal with them is something that I read on another thread. When setting up the world place the Aztecs and Zulu's in the last slots, then they are further away from you. That is if you must have them, even easier is to not include them or just include one. The flipside of this is the Civs in the first slots tend to be nearer to you, so choosing wisely can greatly affect the game. Impi's and Jags lose value once Pikemen come along and get royally screwed by Knights. Revenge can be so sweet. Its just surviving until then that seems to be such a challenge.
I'll go back to all random when I am better at Monarch strategy. I love it that each level requires new strats to be successful.