Old February 1, 2002, 12:00   #1
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 20:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sistine Chappel and J.S Bach's Cathedral..
Right, I strive my hardest to get these two wonderful wonders in Every game I play, but i dont hear them talked about much, So I wondered how everyone else rates thier importance?

Personally, In a democratic govt, I cant see how people can Manage without them

They were especially useful in my last game, when combined with a good luxury supply, I managed to efficively wage war with Republic...
Old February 1, 2002, 13:59   #2
barefootbadass
Prince

Sistine chapel is wonderful, your cathedrals are amazing if you have it, like 6 citizens made content. It also has great culture. JS Bach's I usually skip because I don't get that tech for it, also I think JS bach's is one of those one continent things. I usually have a leader for Sistine, as I am still in some wars about then.
Old February 1, 2002, 14:34   #3
The Andy-Man
Prince

i would build JS Bach's Cathedral just cause its called JS BACH's.
Old February 1, 2002, 14:44   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 14:04
What is great is when you have both of them. Add a few luxuries, and it is hard to find a citizen who isn't happy.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old February 1, 2002, 14:59   #5
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:04
For me, the Sistine is a must and I would kill my mother to get it . Well, you can win without, but in my opinion the Sistine chapel is one of the best wonders in the game.

As for Bach, I try to get it as well, but if I had only 1 leader and would build both wonders simultaneously (what rarely happens), I would spend him for the Sistine.
Old February 2, 2002, 07:37   #6
muppet
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:04
I don't think any wonder compares to Sistine or JS Bach. Happiness = Victory.

I would give up the 'privelege' of building any other wonders to have either one of them. If there is such a thing as critical wonders, these are definitely the MUST HAVE wonders.
Old February 2, 2002, 21:00   #7
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 16:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
What is great is when you have both of them. Add a few luxuries, and it is hard to find a citizen who isn't happy.
It happens. Check out this game as India:
http://www.crowncity.net/civ3/happiness.htm

Technically, this might be a little overkill, but I like my citizens happy.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	happyicon.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	9355  

Last edited by Zachriel; February 2, 2002 at 21:17.
Old February 2, 2002, 21:04   #8
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 11:04
Impressive, but not hard to understand. Five luxuries, three wonders, termples, cathedrals....

Steele
Old February 3, 2002, 21:26   #9
Shaka II
Prince

Local Time: 15:04
I was delighted in my present game to conquer size 1 city Washington from the Indians and find the Sistene Chapel in it! Well, I think it was the turning point in the game. It is not easy to build this wonder at the harder levels, so I expect capturing it is the way to go.

Usually, I can build Hoover and SETI before the AI, but this time I lost SETI by 1 turn.
Old February 4, 2002, 19:37   #10
Draven2997
Settler

It isn't too hard to get the Sistine, or any Industrial Age and beyond wonder, assuming you build a tech lead, and have 2 or so cities to commit to making wonders. Have your workers make your capital a main production city early (which you should do anyway) and there's wonder producing city number one (0 corruption=lots of shields/turn if done right using the right city and terrain). usually, the forbidden palace city or one close to that is production city number two again due to low corruption. Early on, bartering techs is ok, but if you want the Sistine chapel, you need to get the tech for it first, BEFORE the comp gets it, and hang on to it as long as you can. this will give you time to start it before the AI can (or pre-build to get the same effect, but sooner or later, if you want the good wonders, and even the average ones, you NEED a tech lead so you can get a head start). I usually get 1-2 Ancient Wonders, and every wonder from Indutrial Age on due to keeping a tech lead and having at least 2 major shield producing cities. In between wonders, build up the city's infrastructure so it can be full of happy citizens that work to keep the shield production high. This is on Monarch difficulty, so I imagine on easier difficulties you should be able to get almost all the Ancient wonders, too, if you so desire.
Old February 5, 2002, 14:57   #11
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:04
I consider the Sistine to be a critical wonder. If I don't built it, I seriously consider two options: taking it by force, or quitting. Failure to build the Sistine usually means the game isn't going very well anyway.

Bach is nice (anything that makes your people happy is nice), but not NEARLY as powerful. I try for it, but I'm ok with not getting it. Newton's is just more important to me.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.