Old October 3, 2002, 00:10   #121
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 20:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn

No! There is a way to make a slic code trigger when pressing UI componesnts and the same way i was going to use to open the city manager but unfortunetly there is no OpenCityManage() like function. So it is possible to do what you intend, Big Mc.
Here are some examples of slic codes triggered by slic:
NewDiplomod: Triggered when hitting the treaties tab in the make proposal screen
All this codes tested and working (at least the trigger).
So it is possible to trigger codes and messages when pressing buttons and others UI componests.
Hey great news! It sounds like all of this can come together afterall. Again, I need to improve my knowledge of what SLIC can do, it seems surprisingly versitile, but occasionally it meets up with limitations hard coded into the original program.
Old October 3, 2002, 10:51   #122
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 21:04
Off topic, but on topic if you know what I mean

Locutus for HotW
Just to let you know Civilization ToT has some really nice rendered images you could use for when you build wonders instead of having a movie (which arent exactly easy to come by)

Take a look at the Eiffel tower for instance

P.S. Have you ever thought of using the movies from civ2 for the wonders or are they just to crap?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	60imp.bmp
Views:	12
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	26168  
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old October 3, 2002, 12:25   #123
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 20:04
Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
Off topic, but on topic if you know what I mean
I know what you mean

Perhaps Locutus or Markos or one of the other Titans around here can move the GUI discussion to a separate thread. I hate to start a new thread and lose all the input here.
Old October 3, 2002, 12:28   #124
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Yes good idea ahenobarb, i havent seen locutus around here for ages now

glad u got what i meant
Old October 29, 2002, 22:28   #125
SMIFFGIG
Prince

Ideas Ideas Ideas
Ok i thought id finally post my essay for HotW mod which is basically a jumble of noted ideas (sad i know to not it down but I am quite passionate for this mod to happen and to be good of course which i have no doubts)

Note:Some of you CtP2 mod forum regulars may recognise some of this stuff from some of my previous posts

SPIES

1) Steal map option
15% Chance you steal whole map
35% Chance you get a percentage of there map but not whole map
25% Chance you get nothing
25% Chance you get nothing and spy unit gets killed

2) Sabatage option
20% Chance you get to destroy a building of your choice presented in a list
30% Chance you get to destroy a building but its random
25% Chance you destroy nothing
25% Chance you destroy nothing and get captured and killed

And precision bombing
And Pedrunns code that allows diplomats to bribe
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=17872

Civ boarders
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=17876

Add the small bit of SLIC that makes building roads on river require an advance eg (bridge building, construction etc.)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=63594

Make barbs love forts if they find one, dont leave If barbarians come across a fort, make is so they love it and will not leave

Use pedrunns code to give you an option of taking over settlers when u attack them

Chance of all wooden boats and smaller chance for metal boats to randomly get damaged or destroyed by storms a sea. These percentages woud increase when at deep sea

Have a goody hut that reveals surrounding terrain of the area......

Another goody hut idea. In the ruins we find great deposits of (coffee, Gold, Poppies, Tea, Silver, Hardwood) etc etc then that good appears on the map where the goody hut was (or within a radius around it) of course it would have to correspond to the right terrain eg u couldnt have Hardwood appear on Sand dunes or desert etc
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=63861

Message Boxes
Saying Norweign population now exceeds 10,000 for example
Saying Spies report English government has been overthrown/Spies report English government has changed to Monarchy Winston Churchill proclaimed leader

If AI or other player has a military alliance with you but niether are at war then one declares war on say Celts have a message box saying Romans activate there military alliance with Greeks and declare war on Celts

Should definitly be a way of telling how much gold an AI has if its through and embassy and spying and other ways

Allies should be far far less back stabbing
should be able to heal unit by moving it into allies city
should be able to move units onto squares which have allies units on as well
should be able to move through allied cities

If AI has a technology that u dont and a vital one like say Aviation or something they will contact u (if more powerful) and say somethihng like (We invite you the egyptions to gape in awe of our technology of aviation)
The same could be done for unique units eg if civ had War Elephant UU they would invite you to show off there War Elephant UU.

What ever happened to Our words are backed by nucleur weapons. The Ai never do anything like this in diplomacy

If AI hates you, make them send u a message just to say they will rid the world of you

Government
I think there should be diplomatic options based on what government you are in eg if you are in Monarchy and you are having diplomacy with another civ in diplomacy there should be an option like offer Royal Marriage. This would act like a peace treaty only have more options but not as many as an alliance. Also it would last a certain amount of turns say 30 and if war is waged between either civ the civ that starts it becomes extremely unhappy, Only whilst this agreement is still valid

Like in City Expansion if u pillage a expansion it leaves ruins. The same should happen if u pillage a city or destroy it via other methods

TI's
Irrigation should be added as a prerequisite to farms ala civ2/3

Should be able to revive civilisations and their cities, i.e In WW2 the americans took back french cities but did not keep them! So you should be able to "liberate" cities Cities should definetly be part of the diplomatic bargaining. If you "liberate" a former civilisation this should entitle you to a long alliance that only you may break.

The map should change slightly over time due to the natural enviromental effects (big mac has a code for ice age or desert to spread) could do a similar thing here with it in tiny quantaties changing and changing back. Just to add that bit of diversity to the map and game.

In real life most discoveries were made by privately funded scientists. I think that once in a long while you should just randomly get a advance. Or maybe there should be a tree of advances like this, that u dont actually research but get on when certain things happen (say 10 Labs built or something) or just randomly get them. When i say a seperate tree this tree of advances will be specifically for this and maybe not as significant as the ones you research (its up to you Locutus)

Animated Cities anybody (hows that going, can it be done ?)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=63587

I hope i havent posted this at the wrong time Locutus cause i know you aint exactly got loads of time for CtP2 at the moment ive been putting it off for ages now though so just thought i would post it [HOPE ITS NOT TO MUCH OF A JUMBLED MESS]

Anyway thanx for reading if you did, I have lots of ideas not in this post like minor civs and stuff (maybe next post in this thread lol) dont want to ramble on too much

Comparison
Civ3 fans are waiting for PTW
I am waiting for Locutus' CtP2 "History of the World" mod, although ill be waiting quite abit longer

Edit: Can you put pictures in message box popups? If so many things could be done with this but I doubt you can

Last edited by SMIFFGIG; October 29, 2002 at 22:44.
Old October 29, 2002, 23:38   #126
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 17:04
Quote:
And Pedrunns code that allows diplomats to bribe
I have released the Bribe code in the Sabotage thread
-Jean Rostand
Old October 30, 2002, 20:28   #127
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn

I have released the Bribe code in the Sabotage thread
I hope that you're putting all of these codes in the download section. It would be a shame to lose track of all of the hard work that's been done
Old October 31, 2002, 13:47   #128
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 22:04
Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
I hope that you're putting all of these codes in the download section. It would be a shame to lose track of all of the hard work that's been done
Yeah Pedrun now it is your turn to submit them to the CTP2 Text and Slic section of the Apolyton directory.

-Martin
Old December 21, 2002, 10:10   #129
SMIFFGIG
Prince

about city walls and barracks look here
Old January 2, 2003, 16:41   #130
ískallin
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is this possible to inplent: when you reach industoral age and you citizens become to unhappy, say 69-70 there is a chance that you loose one pop point and it goes to another country, like the emigrants from europe to america.
Old January 2, 2003, 20:05   #131
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

yup.
Old January 3, 2003, 17:57   #132
ískallin
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thats cool
Locutus:
Old January 3, 2003, 19:18   #133
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ískallin
Thats cool
Locutus:
I wonder wheather Locutus will have enough time for this in the next week. Anyway that would be nice feature for those of us who try to keep the happiness as low as possible. So if the city is rioting you loose a pop to another civ.

-Martin
Old January 3, 2003, 21:14   #134
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 17:04
I will try to find time to do it. It looks a neat feature to my forgitten but yet not dead mod
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; January 3, 2003 at 21:23.
Old January 6, 2003, 09:06   #135
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

In case it wasn't obvious already, I'm not gonna get around to making this mod for a long, long time...
Old January 10, 2003, 13:11   #136
SMIFFGIG
Prince

long is better than never
Old March 14, 2003, 18:02   #137
primemover
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:04
Wow Locutus... this looks like the ultimate mode for CTP. I have just discovered this thread. I read the first two pages... then looked through the rest for the release. Guess its still being worked on.

I've been gone a while... between teaching school and helping out with the Clash of Civ's project where I can. But I have been itching lately to play CTP2 again. Still my favorite of the civ games.

I would like to be able to help with this too... as it is exactly the kind of Mod I have had in mind since I played both Med Pack and Cradle mods... both have things I like and dislike so the best of both worlds sounds great.

Hope it is still coming along. Maybe I could be of some help. But I will need to get the latest first... and help may take some time coming.

- from Prime Mover by Rush
Old March 14, 2003, 18:12   #138
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Wow Locutus... this looks like the ultimate mode for CTP. I read the first two pages...
Well, thanks, but don't get too excited. I think you'll want to skip over the other pages and read my last post...

(My new motto: RL is a b*tch, and I can't get rid of her... )
Old March 16, 2003, 15:24   #139
primemover
Chieftain

how far did it get? Would it be possible for us to pick up where you left off.... carry it foreward as much as we can till you can do it again?

Old March 16, 2003, 19:00   #140
Locutus
Deity

Well, see that design doc I linked to at the start? That's about it (I did flesh out some sections, but it's all still on the drawing table - except for the list of civs, but I'm still working on that and still want to finish it, so I'm not sharing that quite yet)
Old March 17, 2003, 20:40   #141
primemover
Chieftain

would it be possible for you to finish that design document at least? Then those of us who are interested could get to work... I will have a little time this summer for modding (About a weeks worth or so. But nearly full time... that can add up eh? Lets just say I will have about 30-40 hours to contribute).

Old March 18, 2003, 09:46   #142
Locutus
Deity

Finishing the design doc is by no means trivial and may actually never happen: at least my ideas on what the ideal game/mod should look like continuously evolve and change. And 'no plan survives contact with the enemy', so a lot of changes would take place once realization of the mod begins.

But it's clear that in it's current state it's more of a concept description than a full design doc, a lot of ideas still need fleshing out: I still envision religion to play a major part in the mod, but I still haven't figured out how I would like to model it (I'm not quite happy with the system Pedrunn and mapfi worked on).
Secondly, I feel it's very important to add more atmosphere and personality to the game, mainly by giving more personality to the civs (that's one thing I have to say Civ3 did well - or better than CtP1/2 at least). I don't know yet what the best way of doing this is either, especially since I also dislike the idea of abondoning the 'all civs are equal' concept (like Civ3 did with Unique Units and Civ Specific Abilities).
Thirdly, the main historic 'mistake' in Civ games is IMHO that trade isn't nearly as important as it should be. Civ3 does a good job with strategic resources but that's still not satisfactory for me. I want this mod to tackle that problem as well but I basically have no clue yet on how to realize that.
Finally, I've always wanted to copy the 'minor nation' concept of Birth of the Federation, as I, as a diplomatic player, believe that to be THE best feature of any TBS game EVER. I'm still having major problems finding a proper implementation though.

These 4 issues are IMHO the most important issues that need to be tackled before implementation can begin (there are plenty of other issues to be worked out but most of that can probably best be worked out by old-fashioned playtesting). Once that's done the implemention could start in two phases: first the structure of the mod would have to be realized (units/wonders/buildings/civs/goods/etc) and balanced out and after that AI and SLIC would have to be added. Since the details of the structure aren't exactly set in stone yet either (and can't realistically be changed too drastically once in place), that creates an additional obstacle.

I'd love to go ahead and tackle these problems so that this mod can actually be realized, but I simply lack the time for doing so. I may have some time to do so this summer, but that's not a certainty. But even if I do, that will probably still only be enough time to finish preparations: implemention probably couldn't start until fall at the earliest, by which time I'll probably have far less time again

Plus, if RoN is as good as it promises to be, many CtPers (including yours truly) may switch to that and give up on CtP modmaking altogether - and I fear this project is simply too big to be realized by just 1 or 2 people...