Old November 8, 2000, 22:51   #1
Zer0_T0lerance
Warlord

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
MP3 Music in Civ3?
I think that the Music in Civ3 should be in MP3 format instead of CD Audio format. This way the files will be smaller on the CD-ROM which will allow a bigger selection of music; I get tired of hearing the same tunes over and over again in Civ2. Also, this should allow players to add their own MP3 files to the Civ3 music library by putting them in a special folder on their hard disks.

------------------
Zero
[This message has been edited by Zero_Tolerance (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old November 8, 2000, 23:28   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i like the idea.. my cd drive doesn play music very well and it ends up quite crackly and distorted... mp3'd solve my problem so im all for the idea

plus this would mean special mp3s could be included with scenarios! could really be an atmosphere-booster. good idea, zero!
Old November 9, 2000, 07:01   #3
Snapcase's Temporary DL

Do you know how much computer resources MP3 decoding takes up? I find it hard to multitask Winamp with anything more resource-heavy than Internet Explorer or FreeCell, let alone a modern DirectX computer game. Sorry, but it'd just be too heavy on resources (Maybe by 2002, though...).

My suggestion is .MOD. There is a large .MOD scene out there, and it's not very resource/heavy at all. And the files are small.

Old November 9, 2000, 07:42   #4
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 00:32
Why bother if they use a DVD-ROM memory will not be a problem or they can save it to the hard drive.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old November 9, 2000, 09:25   #5
Snapcase's Temporary DL

Why Bother? To allow portable music files to go with your own scenarioes, of course. MIDI and MOD file support would both be nice and not difficult to build in, MP3 or at least RA would be harder but not impossible. We want our own music in scenarioes!

Old November 9, 2000, 11:24   #6
Zer0_T0lerance
Warlord

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Deathwalker on 11-09-2000 06:42 AM
Why bother if they use a DVD-ROM memory will not be a problem or they can save it to the hard drive.

Because publishing the game on DVD-ROM will sacrifice sales by a sizable margin, resulting in profit loss as well as disapointed customers. Firaxis wants to keep low system requirements for Civ3, which will allow the game to run on as many machines as possible, and thus the game will be available to a much wider range of customers.

If MP3 is not used, MIDI or MOD would be a good idea.

------------------
Zero
Old November 9, 2000, 11:44   #7
Andz83

actually I had the same idea (MP3 music in civ3) months ago but was bashed because I posted it while all the trouble with Napster was going on...

Old November 9, 2000, 20:33   #8
DrFell
King

im a bit suprised myself theres been no napster or piracy criticism come up here... but as i said im all for the idea of havin changable music files, itd add much more deapth to scenarios
Old November 10, 2000, 11:12   #9
Adm.Naismith
King

Am I missing something or what?

MP3 is a file format, not a piracy act by itself, Napster case hype or not.

Surely Firaxis will record proper, original soundtrack. I don't think they will care if somone rip them for personal use (as long as the info about file origin an copyright are kept): it can be a marketing move, you know.

Fans bulding MOD must pay more attention, but there are some free music available on the net (just drop a line to the author to ask permission for "not business" use and mention his/her copyright).

BTW, aren't SMAC files already in MP3? I can't check it at the moment...

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
[This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old November 11, 2000, 21:18   #10
DrFell
King

yeah i know mp3s are just a file format... its just ive read comments from many short-sighted people who have been claimed by the 'evil napster' hype. personally i think mp3s are a great idea, and i fully support including them in civ3... and if theyre alread in smac, then great!
[This message has been edited by DrFell (edited November 13, 2000).]
Old November 12, 2000, 11:41   #11
Snapcase's Temporary DL

Sadly not. SMAC uses, absurdely, WAV files for its music! These are streamed by some inacessible internal music software, making creation of different tunes impossible.

Old November 13, 2000, 18:52   #12
Dustin Bainbridge
Settler

I think it'd be a good idea! Maxis (now under Electronic Arts) did this with the game TheSims, and it allows the game to be quite customizable.

Hopefully Firaxis will incorporate this into Civilization III...

Dustin Bainbridge
Webmaster, Civilization III Civilopedia http://www.civilopedia.net/
Old November 17, 2000, 04:32   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:32
MP3 is a silly idea unless the audio files contain voices and not pure music. Otherwise MIDI would be much better since they are way smaller.
Old November 17, 2000, 07:19   #14
Biddles
Prince

Your talking about a CD though ( ... DVD?) so size isn't that much of a problem. MP3 is much smaller than that WAV crap they used in SMAC anyway.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old November 17, 2000, 08:52   #15
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:32
I suspect the use of mp3s in Civ3 is a forgone conclusion. It will be done - simlilar to the way AOE2 does it - lots of little mp3s for all the explosions etc. Besides, SMAC already uses mp3s.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
Old November 17, 2000, 22:21   #16
DrFell
King

the sims was actually what i was thinking about when i first replied to this thread... good example of a great customisable game, all the graphics could be changed and many other features added.