Old November 14, 2000, 18:22   #1
CivilizationCanuck
Settler

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Problem with Conquest
One of the turnoffs in Civ 2 was when you would conquer a civilization, the citizens would just all magically be annihilated and dissappear off the face of the earth and the faction eliminated. Where as in real time war, countries have been conquered, only to rise later and emerge. One instance of this was Germany, if you were to play World War 2 from a Civ2 standpoint, half the cities would be Allied, and half would be Russian, and the Germans would be extinct. Where as history tells it, yes the Allies and Russians met at Berlin, but in the 1990's the wall came down and Germany was back as one. Even before that there was East and West... both Germany.

Now in Civ3 I would like to see this changed, or make it harder to fully extinct a race, faction, or culture by just conquering their cities. Or you could embark on different campaigns that could let you occupy a country, or completely destroy it.
Old November 14, 2000, 19:33   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

You should not be able to destroy a countrys units when you destroy their cities; oh I will admit it would be annoying if you had to destroy each and every unit on the map, but it would make it more realistic.

Every roman unit didn't die when Rome was captured, they fought on in a guerilla war.
Old November 14, 2000, 19:39   #3
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
May I note that this has already been discussed, somewhat under the topics:
people percents
life after death
Please take a look at these before continuing. If you have another solution other than those presented, we'd love to hear it .
[This message has been edited by airdrik (edited November 14, 2000).]
Old November 15, 2000, 06:23   #4
Deathwalker
Prince

An interesting idea, I personally never liked the idea of units disappearing when a city was destroyed. This has never been the case in the real world.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old November 17, 2000, 22:25   #5
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:32
captured cities should be able to rebel, etc. as it is its too simple. cities can go back and forth from one civ to another, and every time the citizens 'gladly' accept their new rulers and are just as productive, which is unrealistic. i agree with the 'people percents' idea, it just seems so much more realistic.