Old February 3, 2002, 00:29   #1
JohnHK
Settler

Local Time: 14:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forest cutting question
Just wondering... I was reading one of Velociryx's strategy threads and his mention that to aid production repeatedly in a greatly corrupted city that you can repeated cut and plant forests within the city radius. I wondered about this because somewhere else I read that the shield bonus (10 or whatever) is only accrued once when the forest is cut down the first time and later planting and cuttings add nothing. Is the latter true? I have become sick of the game particularly because of the corruption and waste element and I havent tried played for some time. If you can get the shield bonus from forest "plantations" I may be willing to continue playing (though it may be a little tedious to carry the strategy out).
Old February 3, 2002, 01:24   #2
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 15:07
Firaxis patched it out. They don't want you to be able to counter the corruption and waste.

I apologize to you on their behalf.

We are all hoping that someone will get a stick and run the moneychangers out of the Temple. So, far, Sid is proving that he is not Jesus.
Old February 3, 2002, 01:24   #3
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 16:07
Before the patch you could tree-farm for shields. Now you can't. The best way to build improvements in outlying areas is to just spend money. No big deal.
Old February 3, 2002, 08:44   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The despotic whip is your friend. Use it.
Old February 3, 2002, 12:43   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
Re: Forest cutting question
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnHK
I have become sick of the game particularly because of the corruption and waste element and I havent tried played for some time.
Well if that's the only reason you're not playing, then just go into the editor and make some adjustments, that's why they included it. If you set the optimal cities number to 512, the maximum number of cities, you'll have virtually no corruption at all. Frankly, I think the whole thing is such a non-issue that I'm amazed that people still keep complaining about it. It's just a matter of preference, so if you think it's to high then change it.

BTW, on one of the posts I read from Firaxis, Jeff hinted that there will be more options in the game setup once the new patch is done. So I suspect that corruption will be one of those.
Old February 3, 2002, 12:52   #6
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 16:07
In the U.S. people complain that the government wastes their money, and they never seem to get the benefits promised, like that new University they were promised. This is in a relatively small country, very rich and with an advanced Democracy. If it irks you in the game, that would be appropriate, because it irks everybody in real life, too.
Old February 3, 2002, 18:32   #7
JohnHK
Settler

Local Time: 14:07
Re: Re: Forest cutting question
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Well if that's the only reason you're not playing, then just go into the editor and make some adjustments, that's why they included it. If you set the optimal cities number to 512, the maximum number of cities, you'll have virtually no corruption at all.
Won't there still be corruption associated with distance from the capital?
Old February 3, 2002, 20:48   #8
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Forest cutting question
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnHK

Won't there still be corruption associated with distance from the capital?
Well I've never tried it so I don't really know for sure. But if there is, it will be minimal.
Old February 3, 2002, 21:56   #9
Platypus
Settler

Local Time: 15:07
If you really dislike corruption, another thing you can do is go into the editor and make more city improvements reduce corruption.
Old February 4, 2002, 01:28   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
If you really dislike corruption, another thing you can do is go into the editor and make more city improvements reduce corruption.
Or you can create brand new ones using the Civ3MultiTool. I think I'm up to about 7 versions of the Forbidden Palace. Corruption problem, what corruption problem?

That allows me to keep the optimal cities low so the AI won't get the benefit of it as well. And I'm sure I can count on building smarter than it can.
Old February 4, 2002, 15:17   #11
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 20:07
It's hardly worth mentioning, but every square forest initially or not(except those that can't have forest) can be harvested once, just plant a forest and cut it down. Of course this only nets you at most 200 shields for the whole game for cutting the trees, and they come at a time when most things are built under despot rush anyway, although in low corruption cities you could speed a few improvements up by a few turns without sacrificing some of your happiness.

Also you could use this to get your granary and barracks up in your pop rushing cities so that you could immediately begin pumping out military troops with the pop rush. Oh, I like that idea, it sucks wasting 4 or 5 pop units just to get your city to the position where it can crank out military. This would work best if you had a 'worker' city and were industrious, of course.