Old February 3, 2002, 20:44   #1
Dimension
Warlord

Local Time: 15:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why can't I build railroads sometimes?
I've got steam power. I've got 100 captured workers. My cities are all connected with railroads.

Now I'm building up rails behind my army as it advances, and I'm wondering why it's not letting me build railroads in some areas. Is there a limit to how far outside your territory you can build railroads? It doesn't make sense, as there are a lot of places I can build railroads outside of my territory, but just a few I can't.

Anybody know what keeps you from being able to build railroads on top of squares with roads in certain areas?
Old February 3, 2002, 20:48   #2
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Poor soil conditions. Press ctrl-ss to reveal the Civ3 substrate map. The depth of this game is amazing, aint it.
Old February 3, 2002, 20:52   #3
Dimension
Warlord

Thanks. You're hilarious.
Old February 3, 2002, 20:56   #4
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Sorry. Check and see if the roads you are trying to lay track on are connected to the iron resource.
Old February 4, 2002, 01:12   #5
Dimension
Warlord

Sorry for being pissy...

Anyway, here's a screenshot. You can see that I have iron right next to Atzcapotzalco, and I have a another source of iron just off the screen next to St. Louis. I actually have five sources of iron in my empire. I didn't have any trouble connecting all my cities with railroads, but it just won't let me build them in this area.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	9439  
Old February 4, 2002, 01:57   #6
zergling
Settler

Local Time: 03:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's a bug. I had it too in my last game.. Fortunately I had saved game only few turns earlier. I just reload it and the problem is gone.. I suspect it because of those lil button menu in the bottom screen can't hold more than 10 buttons..
Old February 4, 2002, 02:27   #7
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 20:10
The most ridiculous thing happened in my civ game where the Indians got 5 coals, and the rest of the world got none.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old February 4, 2002, 04:36   #8
Dimension
Warlord

OK, it's just because the game can't have more than 10 buttons. That's a pretty annoying bug.

Apparently this is only something that occurs on resource squares on flat land where you can build a colony, irrigate, plant forest, or mine. The two squares I kept trying were grassland dye luxuries with irrigation. The only way to get around it is by building a fortress. After that, the fortress button goes away and it has room for the Railroad button.

The surprising part is that when it can't fit the button, Shift-R doesn't work, either.
Old February 4, 2002, 05:27   #9
Ironikinit
Prince

What about ctrl shift r and click on next tile?
Old February 4, 2002, 12:17   #10
Dimension
Warlord

Actually, it's not that it can't have more than 10 buttons. I tried pillaging everything on the square, and it had 12 buttons. Now I'm having trouble duplicating the bug.
Old February 4, 2002, 14:48   #11
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 21:10
Just in case...
You need iron AND coal to build railroad.
If you have both and both are linked to the square you want to build a railraod, then I can't help you :/
Old February 4, 2002, 16:25   #12
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Dim,

This doesn't appear to the case in your screen shot, but I found that my supply lines of iron and coal were cut off if the AI had cultural boundaries preventing the square from strategic supply. In one game I crossed an isthmus and started capturing Russian cities with my aim to capture a strategic coal supply (of which I had none at the time. Once I had secured my coal, I figured I would RR like a madman in order to rush in reinforcments.

To my surprise I couldn't build RR's. It seems the AI's culture border occupied the one and only square on the isthmus. What's more his culture cut off any naval routes as well, so the cities with Harbor had no viable route to get the much needed iron on the one half of my empire and coal on the other. A little bombarment and reductionof the one high culture city allowed a recession of the culture boundary and a viable supply route was then established. Voila!! Rails everywhere.

Again I don't know if this was the case for you

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 4, 2002, 16:37   #13
Dimension
Warlord

Ogie:

What, are all the SMAX ppl coming to the Civ3 forum now?

I've got iron & coal, and I don't think my situation had anything to do with culture. The same type of thing happened again. One worker couldn't build a railroad right next to another one in open territory, but after I built a Fortress I could build a railroad. This time, though, I didn't have to complete the fortress before it let me build the RR.
Old February 4, 2002, 17:26   #14
Worthingtons
Prince

Quote:
The most ridiculous thing happened in my civ game where the Indians got 5 coals, and the rest of the world got none.
I actually think the idea of that happening is quite good!, In the Real world countries can control the worlds supply of a given resource...
Old February 4, 2002, 17:39   #15
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Dim,

Sorry 'bout that. It didn't look like you were in enemy territory but you never know.

As for us died in the wool SMAC(x) er's welll.... you know how it is. You're here in the vain hope that you'll see a revitalized game patch from Firaxis as the shot of a SMAC2 is less than the shot of decent Civ3 patch (also a long shot I might add).

OTOH I'm an eternal optimist. No I'm a pessimist.

Schizophrenically yours ,

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 4, 2002, 17:45   #16
Dimension
Warlord

Heh... I don't see what all the complaining is about. I love Civ3. It's really nice that they removed and simplified certain elements along with adding things, so Civ3 isn't just a more complex version of Civ2.

I do miss my spy foils, but that made things a little too easy I suppose...
Old February 4, 2002, 18:24   #17
Dimension
Warlord

I think it might actually have something to do with culture and territory. All of the times I've been unable to build railroads, it's been outside my own territory. I think it may be that you aren't allowed to build railroads too close to another civ's territory.

This doesn't explain why two different times I WAS able to build a railroad once I built a fortress (on the same turn, so there was no buildup of culture that would cause the territory to be closer to my empire while I built the fortress).

Currently, there is an area where I can't build railroads near the Romans. You can see that I have used groups of workers to backfill a railroad to get my Cavalry home to heal quickly (and the ubiquitous army of Knights that just won't die). I have extended the railroad several squares this turn, but it won't let me build any farther to the north or east.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rr2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	9481  
Old February 4, 2002, 18:24   #18
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:10
It's a bug, don't know, it sometimes occurs to me. I can build a railroad and on the very next tile it won't work. It generally does work after saving, quiting and loading though, at last after a few turns it's OK again...
Old February 4, 2002, 18:29   #19
Dimension
Warlord

Of course, this also doesn't explain why last turn I was able to extend a railroad all the way up to the edge of Iroquois territory. I razed an Iroquois city in the square just above the cow, and build a railroad all the way to the edge of their territory then made peace.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rr3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	9483