Old February 4, 2002, 11:38   #1
Yxklyx
Warlord

Local Time: 20:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New Faction Idea: Psionic Nation
I'm not sure about this faction so I just wanted to hear some opinions first. Something like:

TECH, Psych, TECH, Biogen, FACILITY, 33(?), MINDCONTROL, 0, PSI, 50, SOCIAL, -INDUSTRY(?), SOCIAL, +EFFICIENCY(?)

Future Society, Thought Control, ?
Politics, Green, nil

That facility 33 should be PSI Gates, which they get from the start! Yeah, I know it's a high level facility but I don't think it's that unbalancing. Not at all sure about the SOCIAL fields.

Basically, the faction represents Human Psis who find the Alien Psi of Planet repulsive (hence no Green). The whole idea of the faction was to get Psi Gates into the game since they're usually not a factor in SP.
Yxklyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2002, 13:33   #2
Yxklyx
Warlord

For those not familiar with PSI gates this is how they work. A gate can be used once per turn to transport one unit to any other gate. The unit has its full movement. Handy for defending bases and moving colony pods around in the early going.
Old February 4, 2002, 14:28   #3
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 21:11

But the PSI, 50 is tather unbalancing. I'd suggest lowering it to 25
Old February 4, 2002, 14:42   #4
Yxklyx
Warlord

I don't think 50 is too much. Gaians get +30 for Planet when playing Green. Cult get +40. Psis get +50 but they can't capture Mind Worms without Green (unless they get Manifold Nexus or the Future SE choice) - plus PSI combat isn't that powerful - too many defensive bonuses.
Old February 4, 2002, 16:38   #5
wheathin
Prince

I was playing with a Psychic Friends Network faction. I was considering Trance and Empath as FREEABIL for all units. Also an initial Comm frequency and a 25% Psi bonus. Also ++PROBE and SHARETECH 3. All seemed fairly obvious. As for penalties, I liked -RESEARCH and -INDUSTRY. Something about the development of mental powers reduced their ability to manipulate the real world. And they can't run PS.
wheathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2002, 18:39   #6
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
It's interesting to have a faction with +50% PSI combat bonus but not much chance to get mindworms in the early game. Just hope that you land near Manifold Nexus . But after you can build mindworms, they might be useful even in the early-mid game, which usually isn't the case. After Cybernetic, lifecycle boosting facilities and PSI weaponry this faction would have a serious advantage in PSI warfare. And of course there are such projects as Dream Twister and Neural Amplifier . It could be fun
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2002, 04:06   #7
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Haven't you forgotten to give them Matter Transmission? without it the Gates won't appear until the very end of the game.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2002, 08:24   #8
Yxklyx
Warlord

No, they don't need the tech to have the facility. I'm going to test this variation next:

#PSIONIC
Psionic Nation, The Psi Talent, Psis, M, 1, Yuri, M, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0,
TECH, Psych, SOCIAL, -INDUSTRY, SOCIAL, -GROWTH, FACILITY, 33, MINDCONTROL, 0, PSI, 50,
Future Society, Thought Control, RESEARCH,
Economics, Green, nil,
Psionic, Psionic

It's fun using those Psi Gates early on; whether it's too unbalancing remains to be seen.
Old February 8, 2002, 11:13   #9
wheathin
Prince

Psionic Nation, The Psi Talent, Psis, M, 1, Yuri, M, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0,

I liked this part.
wheathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2002, 05:49   #10
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If the human Psi are at odds with the mindworm psi, shouldn't the faction also suffer a minor planet penalty? (would help to neutralise that high psi bonus - and prevent unideologicol things like the Manifold Nexus allowing mindworm capture).

at yuri, prehaps it needs cheaper probe team actions

Overall a nice, original faction.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2002, 06:17   #11
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
Send us the faction as an attachment when you're finished with it. Sounds interesting. Thanks in advance.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote