View Poll Results: Are the US warnings justified?
Yes 10 33.33%
No 20 66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5, 2002, 13:48   #91
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 16:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune

Do you really believe that?

AlQuaida bombed you for two, and only two, reasons:

1) US troops stationed in Saudi Arabia.

2) US unconditional support for Israel.

Please believe me this one thing at least: No one, and I mean: No one in Austria thinks that any Muslims are going to attack us, now or ever.
First:
http://europe.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/eur...sts/index.html

Al Quaida is fighting the enemies of Islam, which they see as Western culture. The focus is on America, but they havent forgot about Europe. After all, Europe is a supporter of Israel, the Saudi Dynasty, and the various Sheikdoms of the ME, just like America. If I remember right, wasn't there a plot to bomb the EU parliament in the works that was exposed?

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old February 5, 2002, 13:50   #92
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 20:12
How does throwing a billions make you the economic superpower

I mean, dont get me wrong, most of the money is for increased military pay and security. The government would of spent that money on somthing else, regardless of Terror war.

So your idea of it bankrupting us is silly

Quote:
(and saving money),

huh? Your government saves money? I thought every penny was spent on somthing or other.

Quote:
(and throws away billions of dollars),
Have you seen our budget?? thats a drop in the bucket.
Old February 5, 2002, 13:55   #93
Maj
Settler

Local Time: 15:12
Perhaps if some of you folks kept the accomplishments and achievements held by your society to a tranquil pride and refocused the same energy you use to berate and antagonize the societies of others towards the more signficant forces that plague us all, you would find yourself doing a service to your people, and not just the the inflated egos that drive irrationality and willful ignorance.

Just a thought.

- Maj
Old February 5, 2002, 13:59   #94
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 16:12
More Links for Al-Queida Euro Terrorism

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...3771-2001Nov22
Quote:
By Michael Dobbs
Washington Post Foreign Service
Friday, November 23, 2001; Page A34

During the course of a 20-year career, the swashbuckling magistrate has broken up several plots by Islamic extremists against French targets, including the 1998 World Cup soccer championship.
Most recently, he has been investigating an alleged plot to blow up the U.S. Embassy in Paris by members of Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda terrorist network,
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2002...ests_dc_1.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...641457,00.html
(Not really Al-Queida, but hey, the ETA is kinda like them)
(Note: That last statement was pulled out of my a**)

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old February 5, 2002, 14:00   #95
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 22:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Maj
towards the more signficant forces that plague us all
- Maj

We are focusing our energies on that. It's called US. Al Qaeda are just children in comparison as long as Europe is concerned
Old February 5, 2002, 14:31   #96
kolpo
Prince

The foreign policies of the US and the E.U. are becoming to different to form a military alliance, the E.U. should leave the NATO and form a military organization on it's own.

We shouldn't sacrifice freedom and our ideals of peace for security. Not limiting the civil liberties and not increasing military spendings and keeping our open, tolerant and free society would be the real victory against terrorism.

It was not the army that let the NATO win the cold war, but it was keeping by our open, free, democratic and tolerant society even in difficult times that did.
Old February 5, 2002, 15:00   #97
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 21:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander
The strategic goals of Al Qaida are not the ones stated, but to replace secular governance in the Arab world with religious governance, ...
You know better than they, of course, what they 'really' want; but even if you were right: It´s none of America´s business to determine how people on another continent want to govern themselves.

They wouldn´t attack you, if you wouldn´t constantly meddle in their affairs.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 5, 2002, 15:07   #98
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 22:12
bah forget it

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; February 5, 2002 at 15:19.
Old February 5, 2002, 15:10   #99
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
Overall I welcome the "unilateral" approach, as well as the stunning hubris and arrogance of the US oligarchy. About time to set the things up for a clean divorce.
I wouldn´t go so far, perhaps, but many people in Europe certainly agree with you; I think it is time for the US to consider if they really want to risk losing all their allies.

Quote:
If the US wants to make ad-hoc alliances, Europe has to make up its mind: Do we still want a formal alliance that is of no benefit to us ? The "No" will be slow to come as long as jerks like Schröder, slimeballs like Blair and utter morons like Chirac are in power, but it will come.
One little disagreement: I know that Chirac is not popular here in Austria , but, in all fairness, let´s admit he did a few good things:

-1 Outmaneuvered the LePen movement.
-2 Does not suck up to America so much.

He is not an utter moron; compared to Bush/Blair, Chirac is adorable. Relatively spoken.

Quote:
I also have little interest in seeing europe as part of a paranoid militarist "security" doctrine.
Hear, hear.

Old February 5, 2002, 15:16   #100
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Roland: Europe has to make up its mind: Do we still want a formal alliance that is of no benefit to us ?

Come on, Roland. NATO ceased being of any benefit to anyone onces the USSR collapsed into anarchy and has only survived due to its own beaurocratic inertia. Ending the archaic alliance will be a benefit to both sides.
Old February 5, 2002, 15:16   #101
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

The last thing we need to do, IMO, is bust up Nato.

Europe DID their own thing once before....'member that little nutbag named Hitler?

Funny moustache, even funnier haircut?

No thanks.

You might not agree with us all da time, but that's what's cool about democracy...you don't have to.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 5, 2002, 15:22   #102
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Let's put this assertion to the test, shall we? Would you mind telling me exactly where Australia and a lot of "Eurocom" countries rate in comparison to the US according to the official stats on the subject?
GDP doesn´t say much. GDP is distributed much more equally in Europe, so average people (not the Upper Class) live much better in Europe than in the States. This isn´t ideology, ask any Euro, or come over and find out.

Also, there are many more free things: Public health care is better, public schools are better, environment is better, much less crime. Also, we work less hours. All this doesn´t reflect in GDP, but believe me: No Euro in his senses would want to move to the States.

Old February 5, 2002, 15:30   #103
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
GDP doesn´t say much.
Then its a good thing that isn't the only thing the HDI takes into account, isn't it?
Old February 5, 2002, 15:31   #104
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Natan
Khomeini style Shi'ite fundamentalism is not just a religion - it's a terror ideology.
Some people say the same about Zionism. It seems to depend on your religious viewpoint.

Quote:
If we left our allies in the NA and other Afghan movements to suffer at the hands of Iranian backed fundamentalist militias, you'd be complaining too.
Did I ever complain about the US not meddling?

Quote:
Because we think diplomatic pressure will be more effective on that front.
Proven by experience; therefore, Bin Laden.

Old February 5, 2002, 15:36   #105
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
I would rather you just airdropped Bush and Rumsfeld armed with assualt rifles. That would solve the problem right away....
Why wasting two perfectly good assault rifles?

Why waste two perfectly good parachutes?

Old February 5, 2002, 16:24   #106
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Quote:
but believe me: No Euro in his senses would want to move to the States.
There is of course some europeans who love American Way of Life. And many european go to USA to earn more money they can earn in Europe, but lot of then go back some later to their own country.
Old February 5, 2002, 17:43   #107
Natan
Prince

Quote:
I agree, but one could say the same thing about Sharon style Israeli Judaism.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Sharon's a secular man and Likud's a secular party.
Old February 5, 2002, 18:59   #108
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:

GDP doesn´t say much. GDP is distributed much more equally in Europe, so average people (not the Upper Class) live much better in Europe than in the States. This isn´t ideology, ask any Euro, or come over and find out.

Also, there are many more free things: Public health care is better, public schools are better, environment is better, much less crime. Also, we work less hours. All this doesn´t reflect in GDP, but believe me: No Euro in his senses would want to move to the States.
Exactly. And the funniest part is the U.S. government pisses most of its taxpayers money up against the wall buying armaments and maintaining a huge military machine instead of building schools and hospitals or giving tax cuts.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 5, 2002, 19:40   #109
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Now I git it!

Do as we say world, not as we do.

Ya know, "The United States of the Earth" does have a nice ring to it
Old February 5, 2002, 19:50   #110
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Docfeelgood

Ya know, "The United States of the Earth" does have a nice ring to it

Old February 5, 2002, 21:32   #111
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Exactly. And the funniest part is the U.S. government pisses most of its taxpayers money up against the wall buying armaments and maintaining a huge military machine instead of building schools and hospitals or giving tax cuts.

thats funny. Military expense is never mentioned on any polls. And the americans approved overwhelmingly with the Bush military pay hike.

Lets not get off on a tangem here about USA building Mechsuits and Drones that carry lasers. Thats why the bill was upped...pay and security.
Old February 5, 2002, 21:44   #112
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Did you choose that avatar or was it chosen for you?

Old February 5, 2002, 21:47   #113
faded glory
King

thread jack!

no it was meant as a spoof. The red letter "Always Praise Ye Fuhrer Faded Glory". It didnt show tho. but owel...I dont have a replacement. So you must live with it.
Old February 6, 2002, 04:36   #114
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Velociryx:

"Europe DID their own thing once before....'member that little nutbag named Hitler?"

Other "own" things before the US of A was even around: Greek philosophy, roman law, renaissance art, enlightenment thinking... But I assume in the world according to US public school education, that was all done by a sort of proto-USA, and all that is really european is Hitler and Stalin ?

At least some USAers definately give that impression.

DinoDoc:

"NATO ceased being of any benefit to anyone onces the USSR collapsed into anarchy and has only survived due to its own beaurocratic inertia."

Agree mostly, but it could have been redesigned into something useful. But now we have a unilateral US and a Europe that does not dare to play its own weight. And Robbiboy whining about more toys. As for advantages for both sides, for the US as such, yes, for the military/econ/political establishment, one more reason to whine (and seek some extra pork).

Comrade Tribune:

"I think it is time for the US to consider if they really want to risk losing all their allies."

I think the fundies in the Bush admin have already answered that with a yes.

"I know that Chirac is not popular here in Austria...."

Well, I've been hating him since way before 1999. His stance towards the FN has been quite ambiguous, though. He finally came around to the exclude-them line, almost (or partly? not sure over that) split the RPR over that, then was royally pissed about Schüssel in Haider's ass, and had to fart his overinflated ego all over europe. Where's the pukey ?
Old February 6, 2002, 05:48   #115
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Natan
Hate to burst your bubble, but Sharon's a secular man and Likud's a secular party.
So now you are claiming that Sharon and his Likud are not Jewish?

Now I have heard them all....
Old February 6, 2002, 06:22   #116
Sikander
King

Local Time: 13:12
Quote:
Sikander:

"But we are not going to give France a blueprint of our operation months in advance, because we fear that they will turn it over to our enemies just like they did in Serbia."

Could you please explain what you are talking about ?
A French military man gave NATO's plans for airstrikes to the Serbs during their conflict with NATO. The French were not happy about the bombing campaign (neither was I btw), and they recently convicted this officer and sentenced him to two years in prison! Either he was following orders and was given leniency (but had to be prosecuted because of American insistence), or the French legal system is so weak that there is no crime which can get one a life sentence. Isn't betraying plans to the enemy a capital offense in most nations?

Quote:
"Now the new regime is getting into position, and Iran has the same reasons for being the enemy of the new regime, except that #1 above is replaced with Shiia vs Secular."

Secular ? That's why there is pretty much a consensus to have some version of sharia law, and call it a muslim Republic, I assume ?
It was my impression that once the new government takes it's place that Afghanistan will revert to the extent possible to a it's old secular type of weak central government. The law may well be based upon the Sharia, but I don't think you will see the sorts of extremely fundamental interpretations, nor will the clergy play the role that they played under the Taliban or for that matter the role they play in Iran.

Quote:

"One way that the hard liners think that they can increase their popularity is to foment an international crisis with the U.S."

And dubya is playing along. Brilliant.?
It's a dangerous game for both sides. The hardliners may not successfully play the nationalism card, and only increase the dissatisfaction with their rule. It's too early to tell what will happen.

Quote:

"What better way to do that than to try to minimize or destroy the gains the U.S. has made in Afghanistan by undermining the new government and allowing Al Qaida to escape?"

Iran has an interest in a stable Afghanistan (and one that clamps down on the drug trade, especially), and in the Hazara minority. Every political faction has an interest in seeing the US out of the region sooner than later, and allowing the Taliban & co a hideout would be counterproductive. Some elements in Iran may look beyond their schism and support them, but that's far from the simplistic rants from Rumsie.?
I think that there is a hardline faction that is getting desperate and whose goals and aspirations are out of step with a vast majority of the Iranian people. Iran's interest and the interests of those who control the intelligence services may be two different things here.

Quote:
"They start with an assumption popular with the tiny class of people who make up the members of the British press that the U.S. is run entirely by insane clowns..."

How can you blame us, after seeing Ronnie and dubya ?
Both of these men are portrayed in caricature in the European press, but both nonetheless have led the U.S. in wars which have been surprisingly successful. I note that the same class of people who said that we would live in a nuclear wasteland due to Reagan's policies, and that we would be bogged down in Afghanistan and crushed like fleas are the ones who most delight in this sort of cartoon vision of these leaders. Perhaps they think too highly of their own propoganda.

Quote:

"but are perceived as a real obstacle to the overthrow of the secular regime in Saudi Arabia."

ROTFL. Secular ? What kind of freaky definition of "secular" do you use ? LOL.
In this case I am speaking of al Qaida's definition.
Old February 6, 2002, 06:48   #117
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"A French military man gave NATO's plans for airstrikes to the Serbs during their conflict with NATO."

Was that the guy form NATO HQ who handed over some info on target selection ?

"The law may well be based upon the Sharia, but I don't think you will see the sorts of extremely fundamental interpretations, nor will the clergy play the role that they played under the Taliban or for that matter the role they play in Iran."

Well that is still far from secular. The clergy will play its role simply as part of the tribal structures, just like the church in the medieval states of the realm did in europe.

"I think that there is a hardline faction that is getting desperate and whose goals and aspirations are out of step with a vast majority of the Iranian people."

Out of step, yes. Desparate, I don't think so. They still have a relatively strong grip on security und judiciary, and the quasi-constitutional-court. How much they can shape policy (internal and external) though is another issue. On any account, any comment from Bush on this can only help the wrong side.

"Both of these men are portrayed in caricature in the European press, but both nonetheless have led the U.S. in wars which have been surprisingly successful."

Well the newspaper I usually read is very pro-US and even defends Bush. But for me, the problem is that he IS a caricature. A jokefigure. His rhetoric is wooden, when he has to think for himself about what to say, the result is abysmal, and he looks dumber in reality than any drawing could make him look. His phraseology makes me cringe. It is so dumb it almost hurts physically to listen ("smoking... holes... yeah, holes... did I mention holes? And smoke ?"). I don't know, did he fry out his brain with alcohol and cocaine ?

Btw, the issue who "runs" the US is a completely different one. After dubya's axis of evil bull you had all kinds of spin put on it from the realists (Powell etc) and the fundamentalists (Wolvowitz (sp?) etc). And I am sure nobody asked dubya for a detailed explanation of what he actually meant.

Btw2, we tend to treat all politicians that way. Dubya is an extreme case, but the mystic worship of the presidency is lost on us.

"In this case I am speaking of al Qaida's definition."

I doubt they would qualify the regime as secular. As corrupt and puppets of the infidels, maybe. I also doubt most islamists properly understand the concept of "secular".
Old February 6, 2002, 07:11   #118
Sikander
King

Quote:
Iraq has a secular Arab government. One could as legitimately say that the stategic goals of the US are not the ones stated, but to replace muslim governance in the Arab world with secular governance, with of course the leadership of the US playing a prominent role. It is then a matter of perspective who the good guys are.
One could in theory say it as easily, but the fact that none of the Arab governments in the world are run by their clergy would make the statement a complete waste of time. And who the good guys are is always a matter of perspective.

Quote:
As for attacking countries where Al Quaida are seen to operate freely, did the terrorists not mainly organise themselves in the US? It seems to me that the US and Saudi Arabia are the two primary 'hosting' countries for Al Quaida. Should Europe invade the US to 'wipe out terrorism'?
They organized themselves in Afghanistan, Europe and the U.S. Europe and the U.S. have never knowingly allowed them to operate on their soil, and have made great efforts to arrest anyone who comes to their attention. Afghanistan not only allowed it, they invited it. Are you really this dense, or do you have some sort of obtuse point that I am missing here?

Quote:
Why is there never any talk of invading Saudi Arabia? They have one of the most brutal fundamentalist governments in the world. OBL is a Saudi! Or how about Egypt, who sends hundreds of men to prison each year for the crime of being gay? Maybe we should invade Turkey for comitting genocide and ethnic cleansing against the Kurds? But wait.... they are our allies!
This is sarcasm right? It is meant to show that the policy of nation states is driven by self interest. It might put a cheerleader like Giancarlo into a tizzy, but I have no illusions about this and have not had any for decades. It does say something about your naivete that you are still so angry about it. Now you are going through the cynical phase of understanding the world. This may or may not pass for you, but remember that just because something or someone is selfish doesn't mean that it or they are always wrong. Taking a gun away from a murderer might be done for self-preservation, but it might also save the lives of others.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks this is about 'world security' or human rights is amazingly naive. It is about the upcoming US mid-term elections and cheap campaigning. It is about reopening countries to American capitalism and global corporatism. It is about securing the US hegemony.
Well I congratulate you. This is very cynical. Of course you didn't come up with it, I saw the same line of conjecture on BBC. It is also very wrong. The President is not using this foreign policy initiative (warning Iran, Iraq and North Korea and preparing the world and the U.S. citizenry of potential conflict) to become popular, he is using his popularity to push his foreign policy goals to their logical maximum. He is taking a large political risk by doing so. Whether or not you agree with him at least give him credit for not sitting on his hands and coasting through the midterms on the successes he has already had in Afghanistan.

Oh, and I like your little left wing rant about capitalism and U.S. hegemony. Yea that's right. We are spending a billion dollars a day so that we can improve our trade position with Afghanistan. Talk about a long term investment! This has nothing to do with economics. Iran and Iraq sell oil and we want them to do so. North Korea sells weapons and we don't want them to do so. All three states have been in a low intensity conflict with the U.S. for at least a decade. All three states are developing / have WMDs, and those weapons will be / are aimed at the U.S. and it's allies.

It's a lot simpler than all those conspiracy theories that are so fashionable on both extremes of the political spectrum. As a scientist you should be more aware of how difficult it is to run a conspiracy in a government as large as the U.S. Of course perhaps that just isn't as fun, or doesn't play to your paranoid fantasies like thinking that the U.S. is plotting the takeover of the world by any and all means.
Old February 6, 2002, 07:33   #119
Sikander
King

Quote:
"A French military man gave NATO's plans for airstrikes to the Serbs during their conflict with NATO."

Was that the guy form NATO HQ who handed over some info on target selection ?
I think we are thining of the same guy.

Quote:
"I think that there is a hardline faction that is getting desperate and whose goals and aspirations are out of step with a vast majority of the Iranian people."

Out of step, yes. Desparate, I don't think so. They still have a relatively strong grip on security und judiciary, and the quasi-constitutional-court. How much they can shape policy (internal and external) though is another issue. On any account, any comment from Bush on this can only help the wrong side.
Well I find all of the arrests of parlementarians etc. to be rather desperate actions. If they didn't feel threatened they could just go along with the illusion of democracy. Unfortunately for them the people's elected representatives (pre-screened by the hardliners btw) are challenging their authority. Given how much the Iranian political system is already skewed to the advantage of the harliners I take this to mean that there is a huge majority of the population who oppose them.

Quote:
"Both of these men are portrayed in caricature in the European press, but both nonetheless have led the U.S. in wars which have been surprisingly successful."

Well the newspaper I usually read is very pro-US and even defends Bush. But for me, the problem is that he IS a caricature. A jokefigure. His rhetoric is wooden, when he has to think for himself about what to say, the result is abysmal, and he looks dumber in reality than any drawing could make him look. His phraseology makes me cringe. It is so dumb it almost hurts physically to listen ("smoking... holes... yeah, holes... did I mention holes? And smoke ?"). I don't know, did he fry out his brain with alcohol and cocaine ?

Btw, the issue who "runs" the US is a completely different one. After dubya's axis of evil bull you had all kinds of spin put on it from the realists (Powell etc) and the fundamentalists (Wolvowitz (sp?) etc). And I am sure nobody asked dubya for a detailed explanation of what he actually meant.

Btw2, we tend to treat all politicians that way. Dubya is an extreme case, but the mystic worship of the presidency is lost on us.
I agree that the press definitely caricatures all presidents, and it's the U.S. press as well as the European. It only bothers me because the press is so completely ignorant of almost every aspect of economics, strategy, military affairs etc. They are in no position to judge policy in such a high office (I generalize here a bit). This is why they like to focus on appearances and style. At least they are comfortable with those subjects. I never once heard someone in the press mention how weak Clinton's foreign policy team was for instance. It was hard to miss for a news junky like me. They didn't know what they were doing, and there was no coherent leadership from Clinton himself. This was not mentioned by the press, while hours of Monica Lewinsky walking to her car were put on the air.

Btw, everyone who has a high school facility with the english language is tortured by Bush's delivery. It's terrible, and full of all sorts of holes. Part of his problem is his dyslexia, which doesn't AFAIK effect normal conversation but can wreak havoc on someone who spends hours learning lines on flash cards or reading them from a teleprompter. I didn't vote for him, but I do think he is a decent sort, and I like his team.

Quote:
"In this case I am speaking of al Qaida's definition."

I doubt they would qualify the regime as secular. As corrupt and puppets of the infidels, maybe. I also doubt most islamists properly understand the concept of "secular".
Perhaps I don't either. What is your definition of a secular government?
Old February 6, 2002, 07:50   #120
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Unfortunately for them the people's elected representatives (pre-screened by the hardliners btw) are challenging their authority."

This is an older conflict. Iran has a wierd mix of fundamentalists, technocrats and democrats. What the fundies are afraid of is not so much the elected representatives, that is pretty much a stalemate as far as I can tell. But among the young generation there could be a revolution brewing. So while "the Iranian political system is already skewed to the advantage of the harliners", the elected officials are something between a safety velve and evolution.

"I never once heard someone in the press mention how weak Clinton's foreign policy team was for instance."

I always considered Albright an atrocity, and the lack of any coherent line in US foreign policy under Clinton was discussed in the papers here. Especially the sudden "let's bomb'em" turn during/after Rambouillet....

"Part of his problem is his dyslexia"

Well I wouldn't care about that. What has many people riled up is that he also comes across as quite arrogant. And the "Me are da greatesd" message invites ridicule of all kind...

"Perhaps I don't either. What is your definition of a secular government?"

A state that is confessionally neutral, either through separation of "church" and state, or by equal treatment of differing religions and "Weltanschauungen".