Old February 4, 2002, 21:28   #1
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 20:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Idea : Civilisation QUALITIES
Right, I think Civilisation III's new feature of Civilisation Advantages is fantastic, but a little limited, Here's my idea of taking the idea a little further.

I think this would lead to generally a more interesting game.

While Each civilisation has it's own advantages I feel they should, Instead of trying hard to level the amount of advantages, have a quality that gives advantages and disadvanges (Overall the Quality should act as an advantage but come with minor disadvantages too).

Let me Explain
Currently, We have 6 Types of Qualities i think
Expansionist,Commercial,Industrious,Militaristic,S cientific,Religious

Here are my suggestions for a slightly improved version.

Commercial - Marketplaces and Banks should be Cheaper , along with all present Qualities

Industrious - Factories and Power Plants Cheaper, along with Current advantages

Expansionist - Start game with Scout SHOULD be Kept, but the barbarian thing is stupid, take this away. Make Settlers slightly Cheaper. Lower Curruption SLIGHTLY in Distant Cities.

Militaristic - 1 Extra Troop Should be able to Enforce Military Law in Non Representative Govt's

Scientific - Current advantages are good, but also, Universities and Libraries make one unhappy citizen content. Science is known to clash with Religion, so Perhaps Cathedrals make one less citizen content???

Religious - Some great empires were very religious, so i can see why this quality is here, but Why should Revolutions be quick?? this is Garbage, so that should be Scrapped. Temples and cathedrals should be cheaper still. In addition,Corruption Should be lower (Religious Citizens are unlikely to be corrupt!). Finally, a Cathedral ought to make one extra citizen Content.

NEW Quality

Perfectionist - We have expansionist, so why shoudnt we have the Opposite, So Empires Grew up without hardly moving away from thier capital To begin with (Greece and Athens). So , This Quality should be included with the following Implications

One Extra Happy Citizen Born Content
Larger Cities Produce More Commerce
Cities can Work 25 tile Radius,Instead of 21
Corruption Increased more by Sprawl
Settlers Take 3 Pop Points instead of Two OR Settlers more expensive

At Current, Despite these advantages, In a Civ III game you end up with a dozen massive Empires born by Rexing, and the only option is to do the Same.

But with the Implementation of these ideas, it can lead to Several Completely different Empires, Each with thier Own Strength.
I know it Drives me mad at the beggening of the game where i have to REX like Mad to get any sort of competitveness, But if I had a Civilisation with say, Industrious and Perfectionist Qualities, I could Try and work on my early cities more without being crippled.

Any Thoughts??
Old February 4, 2002, 23:03   #2
OneInTen
Warlord

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Corruption Should be lower (Religious Citizens are unlikely to be corrupt!).
That's my entertainment for the day!

The church is one of the most corrupt institutions known to man. Just look at the number of child sexual abuses that they've covered up (particuarly the catholic church), for example.
Old February 4, 2002, 23:15   #3
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 20:12
Well yeah, you do have a point there... Corrupt in Certain ways, But Tradional Religionists are not corrupt in a financial sense.

Most 'normal' (when i say normal I mean everyday people who's job doesnt involve relgion) people that I know who are religious tend to adhere more to Moral and Ethical values, and theft certainly does not fit in.

I think everyone knows what i mean anyway. But rather than nitpicking (cos there are a lot of things 'wrong' with my post) can i have some feedback on the General idea of broading Civ Qualities/Traits...
Old February 5, 2002, 09:19   #4
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 21:12
Very good ideas, Rothy.
With the SE that was so loved by the majority of people that used it, it seems that we are in fact all heading toward the AC concepts