View Poll Results: The 3 level corrupt-war weariness additions have the potential to
greatly enhance my game play 3 33.33%
moderately enhance my game play 1 11.11%
slightly enhance my game play 2 22.22%
have no effect on my game play 0 0%
slightly restrict my game play 1 11.11%
moderately restrict my game play 1 11.11%
greatly restrict my game play 0 0%
not apply, as would never use any of these additional options 1 11.11%
not apply, because of reason mentioned in my posted reply 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5, 2002, 13:09   #1
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 13:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do 3 corrupt,weary fixes help game play?
After playing a couple games, I like the idea of having to deal with both corruption and war weariness as a part of the game. Included here are some ideas for creating more game time options for dealing with corruption and war weariness.

Feedback desired:
  1. Would these additions enhance game playability?
  2. Do you see any unintended consequences of introducing these changes which would significantly change the strategy of game play for power players or empire building players?

A 3 level fix for-- corruption & war weariness

For newcomers to civ3, there are two major annoyances with civ3:

1. "Corruption" -- this means after ## number of cities, each city you create starts with at least a 20% increase in gold and shields that are lost to "corruption".
{Base number for corruption is based on settings in civ3bic file, which can be viewed through the editor before you start civ3}

2. "War weariness" -- this means your approval rating and the amount of happiness is reduced after ## of years of warfare by at least 20%. {You can get approval rating from F11 screen. Reduction in happiness means more cities in disorder with NO production at all.}

Level 1 Fix--Editor changes you can make by running editor program

Corruption: {check box "reduces corruption"}
Police Station
Comment: wouldn't have them if they didn't work.
Catheral
Comment: if teaching morality, less corruption.

War Weariness: {check box "reduces war weariness"}
Catheral
Comment: if teaching good and evil, then good wars don't create much war weariness. Checking this will not eliminate war weariness, even if you fill all your cities with catherals, but may reduce by 5-10%.

Level 2 Fix-- Here we need someone to create special units and directions on how to incorporate into game.

Code key: C{cost in shields} M{maintenance} S{shields generated} C{culture} H.all{happiness, all cities} H.tc{happiness this city} Crpt{Corruption reduced checked} WW {War Weariness checked}

City Improvements
Church - C=100, M=1, S=0, C=1, H.all=0, H.tc=1, Crpt=1, WW=1
Synagogue - C=140, M=1, S=0, C=0, H.all=0, H.tc=0, Crpt=1, WW=1
Mosque - C=140, M=1, S=0, C=1, H.all=0, H.tc=0, Crpt=1, WW=1
Prison - C=200, M=3, S=0, C=0, H.all=0, H.tx=0, Crpt=1, WW=0

Units
Chaplain - C=100, M=0, ADM=0.0.2, Crpt=1, WW=1
Requires: Theology
Propaganda News Reporter - C=30, M=1, ADM=0.0.1, Crpt=0, WW=1
Requires: Education and Printing Press {or Democracy} and Radio
Politically Correct Informer - C=100, M=0, ADM=0.0.1, Crpt=0, WW=1
Requires: Education
Secret Police Informer - C=100, M=1, ADM=1.1.1, Crpt=0, WW=1
Requires: Espionage

Comments:
These improvements and units would match current active corruption and war weariness adjustments. Ideally the Propaganda News Reporter should reduce WW by 10, ala, US propaganda effectiveness on unjust war in Bosnia, but a unit fix of this would require 10 units, each which reduce war weariness and have a cost of 1/10th unit cost. {ok just reduced cost of unit by 1/10.}

These changes should not effect game play too much as the player has to balance these units vs their initial costs and maintenance costs and other available resources. But if want to conduct a long war and are willing to take the cost and maintenance hits, it is now possible without taking an approval/happiness hit.

Level 3 Fix-- at this level we need a change in game design by firaxis or a mod creator.

Small Wonders
National Prisons - creates a prison in each city on continent
National Police Force {FBI} - doubles effect of prisons

Great Wonders
National Propaganda News Network - requires radio and reduces war weariness by 33%

City workers
Independent Thinker - increases war weariness by 1%. Requires Democracy and appears at random when new citizen is added, appearance probability: during normal times, 0.5%, during war years, 10%.
Old February 6, 2002, 16:38   #2
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:13
Like the Cathedrals effect.
Old February 6, 2002, 22:13   #3
Unregistered
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:13
I like some of these ideas. *Something* does need to be done to moderate corruption effects more. War-weariness also, but I think the corruption is the more important of the two. I like both of the features, but I think they need to be more dynamic. By that I mean that the corruption effect you experience in the modern era should be moderated compared to the effect in the industrial age for instance. Maybe this could be tied to tech advances or city improvements or (small?) wonders. Or even just entering the age itself.

I'm not talking about just the same kind of effect that building a police station or courthouse produce, but something along the lines of increasing the radius of the corruption effect from your capital. & that would be a game change I would imagine, not something you could implement through the editor. Or perhaps making the optimal number of cities more dynamic, maybe increasing the number based on the age or tech advances or... Changing it based on a civ being eliminated makes some sense to me too, since that would mean there's more land to go around per civ then.

I like the idea of tweaking the cathedral to reduce both corruption & war-weariness. May have to try that one myself. Been thinking about lowering the cost of the police station too, it seems a bit high to me.

The idea of units to moderate the effects is pretty neat too. I hadn't thought of that. Might be too unbalancing tho', because what would prevent you from building so many that they would totally eliminate the effects? Maybe if you gave them a similar characteristic to armies, like you could only build one for every four cities you owned, that might keep them from being too unbalancing.

I like the idea of a small wonder like the FBI/Scotland Yard/KGB etc. I think that would be cool. I like the idea of the "Propaganda Network" wonder too, but I think it should be a small wonder instead. And maybe just be a "National News" network, like CBS, ABC, BBC, etc??

I'll have to explore the editor & its capabilities before I start my next huge map game. Because trying to play another out to the end with the current set up would be too bloody frustrating. Unless I'm willing to settle for fourth or fifth place. Maybe by then the next patch will be out too & perhaps it will address some of these things. Maybe.

Anyway, thanks!! You've given me some good ideas!
-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick