Old November 23, 2000, 14:09   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Capturing Units
I think you should be able to capture units in Civ III as in Alpha Centauri with the mindworms.
But you should only be able to do this if the unit uses so much morale and units as they
surrender to you.
It should be impossible when you attack an air unit.
It should be a random event when you attack an enemy naval unit.
Possibly there could be a 50% chance of capture if when the enemy unit reaches
50% damage your unit has taken less than 10%, and the enemy unit has a morale of less than 50%
and in a 50% chance that it does not flee.
Old November 24, 2000, 01:44   #2
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:33
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Doesn't this idea assume a few things about the size of the units?

If you build a destroyer unit, is it one destroyer or is it a small task force as suggested by others.

Is it realistic to assume you can capture a whole army, or division of alpline troops?

I always thought the damage received in battle representated a lot of things including troops surrendering.

Remember, these battles last at least one year depending on early, middle or late game...
Old November 24, 2000, 11:28   #3
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:33
Battle are fighted into a frame of a year (one turn).
This doesn't mean they last so long. While "Prisoner of war" is a concept I like and already debated, I agree that the concept of capturing a useful unit is a bit oversimplified.

Of course weapons and supplies can be captured (e.g. horses or working trucks and tanks);
some units can be captured under particular limits (modern ships inside harbour, planes on hangar/airfield).

It's true that ships as trireme or galleons where captured also on the sea (but not modern ships, usually), while some plane has been hit and captured in good condition after emergency landing.

I simply suggest to use the Razor of playability vs. realism, this time.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old November 25, 2000, 08:54   #4
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:33
Or how about a compromise - a special "commando" type unit that is capable of taking over units? It would be a special workshop upgrade pack and units with it will be able to infiltrate and take command of certain units. What units they could be, I'm not really sure...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)