Old February 7, 2002, 13:45   #1
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 14:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
HOMM4's multiplayer coming in a patch.
In order to get the game released on time, HOMM4's multiplayer will be released in a patch. New World Computing has a history of releasing their games with minimal bugs and then excellent follow-up customer support.

This has deteriorated somewhat after having gained 3DO as their publisher, but at least this won't be affecting them in this particular game yet in the next few months.

Last edited by Pembleton; February 7, 2002 at 14:55.
Old February 7, 2002, 16:16   #2
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 12:18
Is this for real or a subtle irony? What is your source for this info?

John-SJ
Old February 7, 2002, 16:20   #3
Pembleton
Prince

I don't know why you would think that I would make something like this up.

Celestial Heavens
Old February 7, 2002, 21:30   #4
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 12:18
No offense meant, it's just that certain other companies that shall remain nameless (Firaxis) seem to think that putting off important features for a future patch is a good business practice. I thought it was just possible that you were attempting to show Firaxis' poor judgement by attributing the same to another company.

Instead it seems that others are taking Firaxis' example and making it their own.

John-SJ
Old February 7, 2002, 21:50   #5
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by John-SJ
No offense meant, it's just that certain other companies that shall remain nameless (Firaxis) seem to think that putting off important features for a future patch is a good business practice. I thought it was just possible that you were attempting to show Firaxis' poor judgement by attributing the same to another company.

Instead it seems that others are taking Firaxis' example and making it their own.
Well at least NWC has the decency of not making you pay for it. I was showing that they if they indeed give multiplayer in a patch, then they are intelligently looking at the long-term effect it will have on their reputation. JVC, the creators of MM games, has been around a long time; Might and Magic 1 is a really old game, so I think he understands how to think that way.

Personally, I don't play TBS multiplayer, so it doesn't bother me. But I do understand those who would complain. My impression, though, is that so far most people would rather have the game released on time and can wait for multiplayer as long as you don't have to pay for it.

I'm not concerned about them releasing the game too early because of their history of releasing stable and bug-free games, which goes back through 8 MM games, and 3 HOMM games and King's Bounty, at least. I guess it is possible for them to release something too early, but that would be an unfortunate first for NWC.
Old February 7, 2002, 22:19   #6
MOHonor
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:18
Maybe this clears up the situation.
http://www.avault.com/news/displayne...ory=272002-949
Old February 7, 2002, 22:28   #7
Pembleton
Prince

Re: Maybe this clears up the situation.
Quote:
Originally posted by MOHonor
http://www.avault.com/news/displayne...ory=272002-949
Yes, I was aware of this for quite a while. This has been going on for at least 2-3 years, during and probably before even HOMM3 was released. I pointed it out in the thread on "What games are you most looking forward to?"
Old February 8, 2002, 06:37   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 21:18
Almost certainly 3DO rather than NWC pushing for the timely release. Quite which one of them thought the HoMM scenario packs was a good idea though I don't know. Did anyone actually buy any of them? I just saw them sitting on the shelves slowly declining in price for months.
Old February 8, 2002, 13:24   #9
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Almost certainly 3DO rather than NWC pushing for the timely release. Quite which one of them thought the HoMM scenario packs was a good idea though I don't know. Did anyone actually buy any of them? I just saw them sitting on the shelves slowly declining in price for months.
Talk about trying to milk their only successful product; that was ridiculous and definitely a 3DO idea. I only got the first expansion. In the second one, they forced you to buy the expansion along with the original in a package; what a rip-off. Because I love HOMM so much I would have bought it, but because it got so many bad reviews even without considering the way it was sold, I decided not to.