Old October 23, 2000, 15:43   #1
Tim White
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomacy at work
Diplomacy needs work! So do alliances. When you liberate one of your allies' citys from the common foe, your ally should have the right to regain his city, instead of having you keep it. When you liberate an allied city, it should give you the option of either giving it back to your ally, or keep it. When you keep it, your reputation goes down, and the alliance is broken. IT is quite humiliating to see your ally occupate your rightfull city. Here is a list of things I would like to see changed:

1. When you capture an enemy city, and then you talk with him, he will immediately ask for a cease fire. In real life, the enemy you took the city from would be pissed at you, I suggest changing his responce at you capturing his city to: "You Bastard! This will never go unanswered!" hehe, it sounds funny, but realistic.

2. Trading needs work too. Not only should you be able to trade technology, but units, cities, and territory. You should also be able to buy all of those things.

3. Instead of just asking for the other civ you are negotiating with to declare war, you should also be able to declare war yourself. You should also be able to bribe another civs leader.

4. I think that being able to negotiate with another civ that is half way across the world, at 3000 BC, is a little unrealistic. I say that when you create your first city, you are given an Ambassador. he is the one that travels to other civs, and negotiates. I mean, how could you communicate in 2000 BC with another civ that is 3000 miles away? talk on the phone?? You should be able to bribe another civs ambassador too.

Old October 23, 2000, 20:14   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:33
Does diplomacy need work or what?! I think it's the most important aspect of improvement along with the AI.

More threads on this issue ( ):
*Multiple Negotiations
*Diplomacy
*Levels of diplomacy
*Skirmish Vs. War
*Alliance

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 24, 2000, 15:40   #3
Tim White
Chieftain

One small thing to add to Alliances.

You should be able to lend your units to your allies, and stack your units with your allys' units.
Old October 24, 2000, 16:44   #4
Dom Pedro II
King

Well, I DID post a message a few weeks ago about diplomacy but that went greatly unnoticed. In it, I outlined a plan for entirely new diplomacy concepts and some additions to old ideas. Here is if anyone cares to check it out:

A better diplomacy

------------------
"...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

Dom Pedro II.... aka Hannibal3

Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).
Old October 24, 2000, 17:17   #5
Tim White
Chieftain

Thanks for that link to that thread, I liked all of those ideas. Sorry for not noticing it before.
Old November 25, 2000, 19:31   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

In the game your reputation should be harmed if you do not support an ally who asks for your help.
Old November 27, 2000, 10:21   #7
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:33
Well I think currently the ally may break off the alliance with you with you don't help them - but I agree with the additional reputation penalty.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)