Old February 8, 2002, 00:21   #1
Yxklyx
Warlord

Local Time: 20:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tiny/Small Planet Building Costs
I never noticed this before - thought I had found a bug. Tiny/Small planets reduce facility costs. Recreation Commons is normally 40; on Small they cost 36, on Tiny 32 or something like that. My custom -1 Industry faction had a cost of 36 on Tiny instead of the expected 44.
Old February 8, 2002, 03:04   #2
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:19
Didn't know that one either. Haven't played on smaller than 128x64 maps...well, ever. But it makes sense since the research is also faster and efficiency drone problems more imminent.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old February 8, 2002, 09:44   #3
MariOne
King

Local Time: 22:19
I did a survey about this in February 99 at alpha.owo.com...
Nobody bothered to determine wether it was to be considered a bug or a feature... it just works that way, and I had feedback that at least some players were well aware of it.
It could make sense to adjust parameters in extreme settings, but the specific logic in this one always escaped me.

Beware tho, there is something worth of note, all offhand from 3 years ago.
IIRC I also cross tested it with difficulty levels, which didn't have a significant influence tho.

Yang LOSES his Production/Growth advantage when playing in small/tiny planetsizes: that is, if at standard he has 9 while others have 10, at small/tiny he has 9 or 8 like every other faction.

I remember distinctly that I also tested the staring assets of every factioin in the different conditions: if you don't check Look First (i.e. if you let the game start with the first base built), there is a peculiar application of the 10 bonus minerals for the first base. I remember that Gaians have a *different* behavior from other factions (with respect to this issue).
And that in Small/Tiny there is also some influence over the 1st base starting minerals, and still the Gaians behave idfferently.
I just can't recall tho when they got a benefit and when they suffered a penalty. For sure they were favored with some planetsize starting settings and penalised with the opposite...

Up to some fresh blood to test it anew, if you're interested
Old February 8, 2002, 10:01   #4
Yxklyx
Warlord

Yeah, I think I noticed this with problem with the Drones. As I recall, Recreation Commons cost them 28 (on Tiny). On a Standard world it would cost them 32 - so their industry advantage isn't as great.
Old February 8, 2002, 11:34   #5
mrdynamic
Chieftain

Somewhere in the alphax file, I know it effects energy needed for techs anyway, perhaps it also affects facility production.

Looks something like this:

Energy needed as a % of standard?

Tiny: .6
Small .8
Standard 1
Large 1.?
Huge 1.6
Old February 8, 2002, 19:08   #6
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 14:19
mrdynamic: That's for research rates, IIRC.

On Tiny maps, I think all factions get a +2 Industry bonus (+1 on Small). Anything larger gets no positive or negative Industry effects. Not sure if it's on top of intrinsic faction bonuses, though...

Granted, I'm probably wrong