Old February 8, 2002, 03:44   #1
bongsaways
Settler

Local Time: 12:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What civ you like best? Why?
I'm sure this has been posted before, but .. here it goes.

What's your favorite civ .. and, why?

Me, I like going insane with the Aztecs. Sure, Jaguar Warriors aren't much, but.. good for stomping on huts, killing barbarian camps and so forth. I seem to always get one free tech (sometimes 2 if I'm real lucky). That's not why I really like them though. Guess I enjoy exploring the land early (with something stronger then an explorer) and figuring out exactly how I am going to kill my closest civ on the deity level.

Golden age, I can use some creative thinking to trigger that sucker late in the game. I never get "early wonders" anyhow.. don't even go for them. I'll end up with them eventually anyway. War is grand.
Old February 8, 2002, 03:49   #2
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

You shoulda made this a poll...

I've played nearly all of them... kinda partial to the Americans (just rank patriotism there, really).

The Japanese samurai is really nice, though...
Old February 8, 2002, 03:53   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:19
Romans.

God is on the side of he with big Legions.

Apologies to some historical figure for the bastardization of the quote.

Oh, and it helps if you pronounce the names of the gods correctly.

Salve
Old February 8, 2002, 03:54   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
let me guess

Old February 8, 2002, 03:55   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I meant civ2
Old February 8, 2002, 04:18   #6
bongsaways
Settler

Would of done a poll.. but, want to know "why" everybody likes a certain civ. Come up with some crazy story.

Like me.. I once used an jaguar warrior to kill a tank! That's a true story actually. Ya, the tank was badly damaged.
Old February 8, 2002, 04:24   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

jag warrior to kill a tank?

and how is that a good thing?

I prefer Japanese. That way I don't get the early golden age with the jag warrior, but get the same attributes as the aztecs.
Old February 8, 2002, 04:30   #8
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 20:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
jag warrior to kill a tank?

and how is that a good thing?
It is called play balancing. This allows every Civ to have a fighting chance. Also, no unit is a waste.

The Chinese are my favorite, because I like the tech advances. There's nothing better than pounding on your enemies with a small elite force of technologically superior units.

Salvete
Old February 8, 2002, 04:43   #9
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 14:19
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi

It is called play balancing. This allows every Civ to have a fighting chance. Also, no unit is a waste.

The Chinese are my favorite, because I like the tech advances. There's nothing better than pounding on your enemies with a small elite force of technologically superior units.

Salvete
but when you can upgrade is it really neccesary/

Jon Miller
Old February 8, 2002, 04:46   #10
DaShi
Emperor

You can't upgrade. All your resources are lost to corruption. That's why Firaxis did this. Otherwise, the game would be unplayable.
Old February 8, 2002, 07:28   #11
OneInTen
Warlord

Local Time: 06:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The greeks, coz they had a lot less sexual hangups than we do now. Of course, the roman orgies are nice too.

Decisions, decisions.
Old February 8, 2002, 11:17   #12
TheRussianKing
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think all civs deserve a bit of respect due to the advantages, but those with early advantages probably take it over.
Old February 9, 2002, 10:08   #13
christof
Settler

Local Time: 22:19
Greeks
Since i believe that peacefull expansion is the best way to go - at least
until you get to the Modern Age, i believe that the Greeks are the best
civilization to play with. And that's because of their advance in science
and commerce, which leads to a cultural/technological lead enough to
make you the greatest civilization without ever going to war!

Christof
--------------------------
Quis custodiet
ipsos custodes

Who watches the watchmen?
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

--------------------------
Old February 9, 2002, 12:19   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 15:19
I like the Japanese.

It helps to be a military civ in the case of great leaders. It seems to help produce more of them. And that's the only way to really build wonders

They have a good UU... which at least can be upgraded
And the advantages of being religious is great for building those temples.
Old February 9, 2002, 16:01   #15
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
I´m for the Romans too - simply because of nostalgic reasons. I played mainly as Romans since Civ1
Old February 9, 2002, 17:32   #16
Ironwood
Prince

I like the Greeks, but I like them for early war fighting!

Anybody who thinks that a +1 defense is a defensive trait has never seen what a stack of 2 hoplites and 4 swordsmen can do. I fought an early war against the Russians in this manner. I won't tell you exactly how it went, but I'll put it this way: there was no Golden Age as a result of this war. Oh yeah, and I did win this war, also. I had to arbritrarily declare war on the Americans and drop a lone Hoplite on a mounain top to get my GA! It happened at the very end of the Ancient era, a very good time to have it.

A well timed GA can be immensely helpful, and given the sheer number of buildings that become available during the middle ages, I like the Chinese and the Japanese, since they both get middle ages CSUs. The Rider is *immensely* useful, BTW. The ability go go directly from the home city, cross a border, and immediately attack an enemy city, without pause, is a very good thing.

I wish I could like the Russians. I like the idea of playing scientific expansionists, who have a late middle ages GA. But they're RUSSIANS, and their flag is GRAY. And their leader is GRAY. It's depressing to play them.
Take me as I am.
Old February 9, 2002, 18:24   #17
Worthingtons
Prince

I have found my perfect Civ to be the ROMANS.

The Reason I like the Romans is that lovely UU they have. I cannot think of a better UU than the Romans. With the English i used to attack with Horsemen, but it annoyed how 'weak' they were even if they did seldom lose a battle. When the AI piles 50 Swordsman into my Terrority there was NOTHING I could do about it, without losing half my Military, boy i hate that. but now , I have these Lovely Legions!

So, I get a few cities up and running, just as normal, Gun for a Ancient Wonder, Pyramids or GL will do me fine - Just as any other game. Discover Iron and get my roads set up, by this time I'll just be finding out who I'm going to tear apart. Anyway, Set up a Military Camp or two, and start Churning out Veteran Legions en masse, I dont need ANY other units. So I Build up a decent force for attacking my first enemy, a Few Legions will easily get past a couple of Spearmen, and the Beuty is , once the city is taken, I keep it. I can remember my old days with the English, attacking with Horses and getting slaughtered on the counter, No more of that, a couple of Elite (becausue the Militaristic trait means promotions!) Legions defending a city is INVINCABLE in the ancient times. Whats more I combine it with the following Stratagy - The (Usually useless) Great Wall. This is a Dream if i have the spare production, Take an Enemy Town, Rush build a wall (double effect!),and a couple of legions that i've just taken the city with will be absolutly invincable behind double strength walls, If the AI is stupid enough to attack then I can look forward to some Leaders!!, On the Rare chance the AI gets lucky with about 20 units, then one of my nearby legions can take the city back. Anyway, Once I take this civilisation early in the game, I can Build the fp with one of my Leaders (), and I got a large land area, Corruption is Managable (Commercial) and I'm well set up, By this time we're just entering the Middle ages, and My early conquest game should have set me up very well.

People will say 'but legions become obsolete', But i play on largish (not huge tho) maps with quite slow tech, The Middle ages take long enough to get running... My UU has a MASSIVE Shelf life. Even when Feudalism is discovered My Legions are STILL a better bet then Pikemen!! and Knights will struggle against them too (although I will start building them myself). When the Middle of the Middle ages is reached, the AI will have now built a steady force of Knights, Probably Regulars but maybe vets, Are they REALLY going to Compete with my Fortified ELITE Legions??? I dont think so. This UU has a shelf life of TWO Whole ages, because only when the AI can build (and has had the time to build) Cavalry and Riflemen will my UU Expire.

By This time my Early game should have already practially won me the game, and I'll let the Commercial attricbute do the rest of talking.

Romans Kick ass for me -