Old February 8, 2002, 14:44   #1
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 20:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The History of the World III...
Well guys, I am back from my hiatus. In case anyone wants to know why there was a hiatus I'm the last person they should ask, I just didn't have time or didn't find any real want to play or whatever, I have no idea why I was gone I was just gone and to leave it at that would be perfect.

But, regardless I have made my unheralded return to Civilization and hope to go back to my old ways and begin yet another installment of the HOTW series of diplogames. I don't really want to start this up until March or so, maybe even April so we have time to plan it out and see where everyone stands.

So I guess I'm giving out an invitation to the world to play in this game and we'll see what we come up with, the usual suspects are invited without a doubt to play in the third installment...

But I am the Capo so here is my ridiculously arrogant statement about this game, ya know like I usually do, so here goes nothin;

Upon the face of our Earth was placed a great species known as man. However this species was born imperfect, he was born with lust, greed and animalistic instincts harboring hatred and indifference. Upon this paradox of greatness and weakness stands a test; a test of wisdom, power and time.

What "race" is bold enough to overcome the disabilities of this species called "man?" What great leader can direct his people to a higher purpose, to greatness? If you wish to embark upon an epic struggle to overcome the very handicaps placed upon the greatest species on the planet then enter the arena and stake your claim upon...

The History of the World!

And there we are...

EDIT: I apologize to all females for my seemingly masculine spectrum, but it sounds less important if I make it gender neutral, so yes females are also invited to play. (as an aside I'd like to apologize to Belinda )
Old February 10, 2002, 05:01   #2
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Captain Morant reporting for duty!
If it's USA Thurs night as per the HOTW2 slot count me in sunshine..... I wonder if Sir Francis will play... and Prom too... and Nappy! he he Give him a break Capo, he's good value - and be nice! You sob
Old February 10, 2002, 14:53   #3
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:20
Is it thursday capo?
I have the day off thursday, but I got to sleep at a reasonable hour......atleast 11 pm CST........
I can play late monday, wensday, and friday nights.......
Old February 10, 2002, 20:33   #4
Dank
Warlord

Local Time: 15:20
I'd like to play in that if at all possible.........I've been away from the forums for sometime but that will change.......
Old February 11, 2002, 11:52   #5
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Nappy who?
Nap Bonaparte is dead to me!!!

Despite the smiley I am perfectly serious, the guy ruined HOTWI and damn near ended the entire series of games. If II didn't so "well" (and I use the term loosely) this probably wouldn't even be happening.

Alright well, we could play a 7-11 session if Frank's down, I'd like to have him in the game because he played a very solid game last time, more posting would help but hey...

Deity is a shoe in if I've ever seen one, and why not throw dank in there? I mean hey, anyone who's name involves marijuana at all is cool with me, even if he didn't intend it that way.

So I guess that's already four people, with the remaining three slots I'd like to bring in three HOTWII vets if at all possible, if not I'd like to bring in some people I can bank on. Dank will be our token rookie so to speak, I think Prom would be a really good addition as well, he played really good for a diplo-rookie.

Drake would be good, I'd like Chris to play but I'm not sure his heart is in it, and Ozzy is another. So I guess we've got more prospect than slots, which is a very good indication this early on in the planning stages.

Well a few simple questions so we can start brain-storming:

1) World map?

2) SDI or no?

3) Any wonder/tech/unit changes etc...?

Alright let's think about this for a bit and whateva.

Peace.

One Love.
Old February 11, 2002, 16:58   #6
Frank Johnson
King

Ah cool. Hey capo I'll let you guys worry about the mods unless you really want my input (I tend to go all out and take over if I do)...anyway I had my fun with the sat night mod......

personally I like to take out SDI....I can have a perf on that right?
Old February 11, 2002, 20:25   #7
Kuja
Warlord

I am always willing to enjoy new civ experiences. If you don't mind another HOTW rookie, then I'll gladly fill another slot. I ICQed you capo, so let me know. A diplo game sounds interesting.
Old February 12, 2002, 00:41   #8
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 16:20
HMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

I dunno.

Thursday nights are out for me.

First of all, does anyone think it perhaps ill-advised to start a year long Civ2 game that intends to begin around the same time Civ3 multiplayer comes out? With all the functions that Civ3 can offer Diplo-gaming I suggest we wait for Civ3 MP and play HOTW3 on that, as was originally intentioned. (don't go stealing and twisting my ideas again Capo)

On the other hand, I really love my map. And I have been thinking about Civ2 Diplo on my map. If you stubborn *****es decide to go ahead with this ridiculous idea of playing another long civ2 diplo-game at the dawn of a new era, I might be possibly interested. If it does come to pass, and if I don't manage to talk everyone out of it first, then I am reserving my spot in the mideast as the Arabs.

But honestly I don't think this is a good idea. Just wait for civ3 and we can do so much more without the problems of HOTW2.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old February 14, 2002, 14:57   #9
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Capo, say something about my scenario idea.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old February 14, 2002, 20:14   #10
Prometheus
Warlord

Hmmm a return of the HOTW, sounds fun, if I end up getting my computer to work then I am in.

My thoughts,

No SDI
Yes to the world Map, it is History of the World after all.

Perhaps adding movement points to some of the naval and air units and slowing down the tech to at least 15/10.

Are we going to have people in American this time around or no?

Heh, and I will get to start the game this time, maybe even a decent start.

O and sorry to say this Oz, but Civ 3 just kind of sucks, doesn’t have the replay value that Civ two has.
Old February 14, 2002, 20:55   #11
Frank Johnson
King

What kind of world map would be good to play? I've been making world map lately....my medium sized one is working pretty well for the sat night game.
Old February 14, 2002, 23:28   #12
Deity Dude
King

I'd be interested in joining if u have an open spot. I can promise you i will be a dependable show and I am pretty experienced at the game.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old February 15, 2002, 00:39   #13
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Johnson
What kind of world map would be good to play? I've been making world map lately....my medium sized one is working pretty well for the sat night game.
I would think your medium map is too small. The map used in HOTW2 is perfect, and made initially for that purpose. I strongly urge we stick with that.

Old February 15, 2002, 00:47   #14
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus
No SDI
Yes to the world Map, it is History of the World after all.
I don't care about SDI, and I deffinatly suggest we use the same world map as last time.

Quote:
Perhaps adding movement points to some of the naval and air units and slowing down the tech to at least 15/10.
Yes and yes.

Quote:
O and sorry to say this Oz, but Civ 3 just kind of sucks, doesn’t have the replay value that Civ two has.
Ah, Civ3 Single player may suck, but Civ3 Multiplayer shows promise. And Diplogaming is FAR different than even standard multiplayer, which is of course FAR different from single player. I suggest that Civ3 Diplogaming would be a very promising option. This is totally different from anyone's experiences with Civ3 SP.

Just think of the possibilities. I've always thought the trade system in Civ2 is very lacking. Civ3 trade is MUCH more realistic, which only increases the joy of diplogaming. Many wars in real life were over competition for resources, in Civ2 this dimension is totally absent. It is essential in Civ3, and I think we could make this feature shine in diplogames.

The increased options in diplomacy too would greatly benifit a diplogame. Any complaints people have about AI in Civ3 are irrelivant because we won't be playing with AI in a Diplogame.

You all really need to stop comparing Civ3 single player and Civ3 Diplogaming, they are truly two different games.

Old February 15, 2002, 18:28   #15
Brian Bergs
Chieftain

HOTW3
Please consider my application to the HOTW3. Sounds excellent. I am open to map size and would depend on the HOTW vets to pick an optimal one. Same answer on SDI, the vets have the best ideas on what works.

Evenings are best, weekend mornings do not work. I am on Central time. I have played a few games with RAH, MING, War4Ever. Had a nice game last weekend which included Kuja and SmartFart.

I still can't get Civ3 to work on my computer. I think I need a hotter graphics board. I played it at my brother-in-law's house for a few hours. I was not impressed. Prometheus has it right, Civ3 just doesn't have the replay value of Civ2.
Old February 15, 2002, 19:33   #16
Frank Johnson
King

Well what I ment to imply is if you wanted a world map built, I would do it. The included maps are somewhat disappointing......
Old February 15, 2002, 20:27   #17
deity
Emperor

LOL:)
Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP

EDIT...

You all really need to stop comparing Civ3 single player and Civ3 Diplogaming, they are truly two different games.
Yeah, one exists, the other doesn't!

One sux the other might....
Old February 18, 2002, 05:05   #18
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Alright...
Well due to a schedule change at work Thursdays are now out for me, Wednesdays are now the only days I could play.

BTW my keyboard blows and it is taking me forever to type this.

We will be using the same map used in HOTW1 and HOTW2, we must keep the legacy alive!!!

Okay we have throngs of rookies trying to get into this game which I think is cool, it'll be interesting to see how many of them can't stand me after its all said and done... I bet its all of them.

But before I gain enemies lets plan this mofo out;

- Will there be tribes in America at all? Perhaps Barbarians? AI? Regular human players?

- How many players will we allow?

- Victory/End-Game Conditions?

- Playtimes/Dates?

- Real, Fake or Both types of tribes?

- And we still must discuss the other issues, so yeah.

Anyway morons, once all of this is settled I will again commence to creating a gorgeous modpack.

Yes it is 4am, but I work nights at a bar so kiss my ass.

Peace.

One Love.
Old February 18, 2002, 14:43   #19
Frank Johnson
King

Ah wensdays are fine for me if we play in the evening ( 5pm CST )

I dunno how that will effect the other players......but I suggest that there should be at least 6 Human players. I like the idea of empty americas.....but that sort of advantages all the european/african players. And what about australia? Anyway talk about it. I dont care what the civs want to call themselves really....as long as they understand what a diplo game means.
Old February 18, 2002, 17:42   #20
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

I like barbarians in the new world. I'm thinking you make a new unit just for barbarians. A horseman and/or warrior and/or archer that uses all terrain like roads and has the pikeman defensive bonus. Both bonuses would represent the advantage that native peoples would have due to their knowledge of the land. Put a whole bunch in the Americas to greet the colonists.

I say we fill up the game, we've got lots of people interested, lets have seven humans like the other games.

Wednesday nights work for me.

And I agree with Frank on the naming. But either way I'm gonna be the Arabs, sadly not the Metalheads.

Of course the most important thing we need to decide on is how the game will end. Of course Civ3 has lots of options for that, so
it would be that much easier. But since you guys seem to want to stick to Civ2 I guess we are screwed and will go down in flames at the end like HOTW2.

Old February 18, 2002, 17:52   #21
Frank Johnson
King

Ah the reason I suggest 6 is this.....I've been exploring some really neat mod options. If you make a new tech called player tech, and gave it to all the player's civs at the start of the game, then switched all nil nil techs to require this advance....you could make the last civ a "barbarian civ" since it wouldn't get the player tech it couldnt research anything, or build boats. We'd let settlers stay on nil...and make them a special tech too that would make some sort of warparty unit like ozzy suggested and a diplomat type unit. The diplomat type unit is so the natives CAN STEAL the techs we have later and get all the units we have......and thus start researching......besides the fact that they could take over and raze your cities.....stealing tech that way.....what do you think of that idea guys?
Old February 18, 2002, 18:39   #22
Prometheus
Warlord

I would say either way we would bribe them, units or cities, nothing like that New World army to help me with my conquest.

My suggestions:

On Civilizations
7 players… Deity will most likely chose to be in Australia if he play’s again and Oz has opted to take an Arab civ. I don’t think it matters what people call themselves.

On changing the basics of the game
No SDI extended navel and air unit movements. But other than that I think we don’t need a lot of creation in the way of units or techs.

On the End Game
I think the best way is to end it at a certain date: say 1800 or 1850 or something like that. There is no real way of ending the game, so I think that the end needs to be that we just run out of time, then write our own histories of what happened over the coarse of history.

On Rules:
No City Bribing
King Level
Raging

On America
I think we should leave it open like we did last time, colonization was one of the most interesting times during the last game in my opinion.

On Time/Date
Wednesday’s: Start at 7EST and end as late as we can, most likely 1or 12 EST for most of us.

Do we have a list of who will definitely be playing?

So far I think:
Oz - Arabs
Deity – Australia most likely
Capo –
Frank –
Prometheus –

And two other spots if we play 7
Old February 18, 2002, 20:25   #23
Frank Johnson
King

Tch....just play no bribes :P
Old February 18, 2002, 21:13   #24
Kuja
Warlord

you can count me in on wednesdays, i have no late classes that night, and no really early ones on thursday. i know i'm a rookie to this type of game, so if somebody just explains to me how it's played i'm sure i'd pick it up really quickly. as for a civ, i would like to be scottish if at all possible. i think most of you i have ICQed before, but if not, ICQ me if you wanna hammer out any details.
Old February 18, 2002, 21:29   #25
Flatlander Fox
Civilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 21:20
My schedule on weekdays is not rock solid, so I will tell you that I have no problem to sub for a game. (When you need one)

But I can't play all the time, especially since I have to get up pretty friggin' early every morning.
Old February 18, 2002, 22:24   #26
deity
Emperor

I definitely can't do USA Weds nights - I can only do Tues or Thurs or Fri nights.
But looks like you got plenty of takers!
Only count me in IF the night works for me and Australia does sound interesting, although I should try some other place out!
Old February 18, 2002, 23:34   #27
Deity Dude
King

i can do any week nite as long as it doesnt start until 8 - 8:30est. i will be a reliable player and am very interested in joining.
Old February 19, 2002, 00:21   #28
Prometheus
Warlord

Well Tuesday nights work for me, but I don’t know they work for everyone else, Deity. Capo makes the final call, as it is his baby.

Anyway if we are deciding where we are to be positioned I think I would like to try Europe, possibly as the Austrians this game, but as always I am flexible. But if Deity can’t make it maybe I will take up the Australians. I think it will be a fun game in any respect.

And sure no bribing at all works for me also.
Old February 19, 2002, 13:07   #29
Kuja
Warlord

Alright, so is this HOTWIII good to go? Will we be starting it this week or next week or what? I have spring break the first week of March and I'll be recovering from foot surgery, so let me know when we are starting this bad boy up so I can bring civ home. Just about any nights are good for me except Tuesday cuz I have Chemistry Lab until 10:30.
Old February 19, 2002, 19:16   #30
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Tuesday or Wednesday nights work for me. This is starting after March right? Cause Wednesdays in March look to be bad for me.

I think bribing should deffinately be allowed. Perhaps it could be tweaked a bit to make cities more expensive though.

I'm thinking geopolitically and I think a good sceme would be thus: 1 in mideast (me), 2 in europe, 2 in africa and 2 in asia. Leaving Australlia and the Americas open.

If the case is pressed for Australlia then I suggest we keep 2 in Europe. Having one in Europe worked last time because Capo was there, and he sucks, hehe. But if 1 quality player had Europe to himself he could really dominate a game.

I think one of the European player should be Russian, so they can expand East through Siberia and such, plenty of good land for that player, and the other European could take the rest of Europe. Or they could fight it out, hehe.

Heck, even three in Europe could be a cool idea if people were up for the challenge. 1 in Russia, 1 in continental Europe, and one in Britian or Scandinavia whose goal it would be to get to America early. My map is as realistic as possible so Europe has the best land. The resource seed in my map is selected to give Europe good specials too. (so Capo don't mess with the map this time).

Well anyways, thats my geopolitical treatise. Where is Raz, does he want back in?