Old February 22, 2002, 19:47   #61
Prometheus
Warlord

Local Time: 14:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hmmm whom to be whom to be, I do love a challenge, and Russia would be a nice challenge, Frank to the East, Oz to the South and then Kuja to the West could be fun and challenging not to mention a nice central location between the three, but then again Africa does offer a more strategic position, better land only one way to expand and only one way for a sustained threat against my civ. Ahhh decisions…… Lets see

Oz…… Arabs
Kuja…..Scots
Frank…Chinese
Prom… Russians (but I am negotiable if someone else is dying for this spot)

There we go we look like we have the beginning of a game….
As far as Special units go do we have to tell everyone what they are or could we just tell you Frank? (or whoever is making the Mod.)
Old February 22, 2002, 20:26   #62
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 16:20
Good choice Prom. I look for role-playing opportunities not strategic opportunities. Heck its easy for anyone to be isolated in Australia or have their borders secure in southern Africa. But less fun if you ask me. In HOTW2 Deity just minded his own business much of the game in Australia growing bigger and better peacefully. Then he was unstoppable. The rest of us in more volitatle parts of the world (I think) had more fun as we bumped heads and fought over limited resources.

I am certainly not looking for the starting spot that will be the most dominant. If I was I sure as heck wouldn't be starting in a desert surrounded on all sides. Look at HOTW2, Israel was the world ***** for many years till they starting having some fun. Firstly I think I can get a bit of a stronger start, but being the Arabs gives me more material for a fun diplogame.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old February 22, 2002, 20:39   #63
Prometheus
Warlord

Heh, I think it will be a fun position, I like a challenge, if I didn’t I would not of played China last game after the Mongols boxed them in. The nice thing about the Pacific Rim compared to the West last game was the peaceful nature, but yea that side of the world had more problems. Then again you caused me trouble when you took over the Mongols at the ending of the game.

But yea this game should allow some interesting dialogue, right now I have Frank in the number one spot better land good expansion all around, and Kuja in the last spot, an Island Nation is not exactly a high growth spot. Hopefully everyone remembers though that this is not about being the best, it’s about having fun, role playing and diplomacy. After all thats how Capo survives.
Old February 22, 2002, 21:23   #64
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Yea, as for Frank. I think with the current set up that we really should insist or encourage that the last two players go in Africa and Asia. Letting Frank have all of Asia himself is incredibly powerful. If there were no player in Africa I could expand down and I would be incredibly powerful.

Perhaps an Indian player or Japanese player would be cool. Or even more fun if someone wants to revive the empire of Angor Wat.

Of course this leaves Australia open. Which I am ok with leaving open since we only have 6 people in this game. If Frank or the other Asian player whines about not having enough good land in Asia then of course I would respond that they have first dibs on Australia which as we saw from Deity can be pretty damn powerful.

So I'm thinking a Zulu and Indian player are what is needed to fill us out.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old February 22, 2002, 22:17   #65
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Confirming...
As I said earlier in this thread I'd love to play if the game is either on USA Tues OR THurs OR Fri nights... In other words I can't play on the Weds nights!!!
Old February 22, 2002, 22:29   #66
deity
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
Good choice Prom. I look for role-playing opportunities not strategic opportunities. Heck its easy for anyone to be isolated in Australia or have their borders secure in southern Africa. But less fun if you ask me. In HOTW2 Deity just minded his own business much of the game in Australia growing bigger and better peacefully. Then he was unstoppable. The rest of us in more volitatle parts of the world (I think) had more fun as we bumped heads and fought over limited resources. ...
EDIT...
WRONG!!

In early BC times I sent a tri, with a settler and diplo on board, all the way from Aussie to the heart of Capo's Europe to try and build a city on Sicily! This was not really minding my own business
Old February 22, 2002, 22:43   #67
deity
Emperor

I'll take Africa then.
Give the Scots a special EARLY naval unit.
Old February 22, 2002, 22:47   #68
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Ok once the people at settled and the locations chosen the final step is to message me with what you want your initial starting unit to be, Ill discuss with you if needed, we will try to find graphics for it etc....and then the mod will be done.....I think......
Old February 22, 2002, 23:15   #69
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

I'll try posting the map again for people to look at their starting spots. I hear it didn't work last time, i'm not sure the problem. Just e-mail me at OzzyKP@aol.com and i'll send it to you that way.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip real world.zip (4.9 KB, 9 views)

Old February 22, 2002, 23:30   #70
Prometheus
Warlord

I think were shooting for Wednesday Deity, sorry. Kuja can't start till 10 on tuesday's.
Old February 22, 2002, 23:44   #71
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

One more thing to vote on.

10.) What difficulty setting do you want?

10. Deity or Emporer are fine by me.

Old February 22, 2002, 23:46   #72
Prometheus
Warlord

10.) King then it is not just about keeping the people happy.
Old February 23, 2002, 00:26   #73
Prometheus
Warlord

Alright, we are planning to start this Wednesday, and then due to difficulties we will be playing a rough start month for the beginning of the game the schedule will be as follows….

Wednesday 27th of Feb
Sunday 3rd of March
Sunday 17th of March
Wednesday 27th of March

These are the dates and times for March. We need two more players sign on up. The games start at 7EST.
Old February 23, 2002, 01:23   #74
Kuja
Warlord

Local Time: 20:20
Unit
Can I have a unit called Lockness Monster, or Nelly? Deity is right in saying i'll need a special early navel unit. I'm thinking increased movement rate to get off my island? or what would be best do you think? and i think difficulty should be either king or emperor, definitely not deity, or the happy wonders become too powerful and gives more incentive for war than peace i think.
Old February 23, 2002, 01:28   #75
deity
Emperor

Re: Naval Unit
Quote:
Originally posted by Kuja
Can I have a unit called Lockness Monster, or Nelly? Deity is right in saying i'll need a special early navel unit. I'm thinking increased movement rate to get off my island? or what would be best do you think? and i think difficulty should be either king or emperor, definitely not deity, or the happy wonders become too powerful and gives more incentive for war than peace i think.
Maybe Kuja could start with a longship that didn't sink out of sight of land?

Sorry I'm not allowed to play

Manipulative buggers!
Old February 23, 2002, 11:28   #76
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Sorry Deity. Nothing personal, honest. Its always fun to let new blood in, and anyways Kuja confirmed first. You are deffinatly an asset to have in a diplogame.

And I would say no to Monsters and units. A longboat or something would be fine, but lets think human units. Remember Triremes will have 4 moves in this game. Caravels will have 6. You could make a 5 move Trireme as your special unit. That would be damn powerful I'd imagine.

We have decided on Emporer as the difficulty as a good compromise.

So we need TWO players before Wednesday. Come on folks! Sign on up!

Old February 23, 2002, 12:18   #77
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

what do people think about the natives stats? I'm all about historical realism, so i'm thinking the natives should be very weak though not total pushovers. Give some definate resistance but not really kick the conquerers ass.

For a defense and attack unit i'm thinking:
3/2/1 Alpine & Pikeman special
4/2/2 Alpine & pikeman special

Frank wants to make them:
4/3/1 Alpine & Pikeman
6/3/2 Alpine & Pikeman

I think those are a bit too powerful, but what do y'all think?

Old February 23, 2002, 14:46   #78
Kuja
Warlord

these are civ specific units, right? then i like frank's stats on the indians, it would be a nice challenge. can we make the indians resistant to bribing as well? that way we can't steal their units. did we decide on the bribing rules? and is this 1x1x, or 2x1x, or what?
Old February 23, 2002, 16:14   #79
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Its a 1x 1x game.

Brbing issue is still up in the air, but I think we can all agree not to bribe the natives. Usually we end up making unit bribing ok and city brbing not allowed.

Also we need to deside on the level of normal barbarian actvity. Once that is desided I can at least start working on the map, renaming civs, etc.......

Kuja, please contact me anyway you want, ICQ, email, AIM, the board.....and lets choose you a final starting spot and a special unit to start the game with.
Old February 23, 2002, 19:07   #80
Kuja
Warlord

after looking at the map, the scots don't look very appealing. their only good resources are in the ocean, but the only way to utilize them is to build cities on hills or forests. and in 1x production, that isn't exactly desirable. so since you need a tribe in africa, i could be the zulus. what do you think?
Old February 23, 2002, 20:31   #81
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

I can't say I blame you, but awww, the Scots would have been cool to have in the game. Southern England is really nice, wheat and fish. Plus you have easy access to the continent with all its incredible resources. And the best benifit of your position would be your easy access to North America you could island hop there with your special longboat and set up shop long before anyone else reaches the new world.

But yea, Zulus are needed too.

I still think we need someone else in Europe. British, French, Germans, Spanish, Italians, Austrians whoever. Didn't Capo or someone mention an interest in being the Austrians/Hapsburgs?

Old February 23, 2002, 21:35   #82
Prometheus
Warlord

Err that was me that said Austrians, but I can still be them, we might be playing with only four people unless we can find someone pretty soon.
Old February 23, 2002, 22:10   #83
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Well I don't want to start with only 4 people. Lets wait till the game fills up. I want to get going as much as anyone else, but I don't want to do it half-a$$edly.

Old February 24, 2002, 01:13   #84
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:20
I'll play! What civs are open?
Old February 24, 2002, 01:21   #85
Kuja
Warlord

i believe we have: Arabs, Chinese, Russians?, and Zulus. So maybe you could be another civ in Europe, or Asia.
Old February 24, 2002, 01:22   #86
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

One in western europe and one in Asia.

So far Russia, Arabs, Chinese and Zulus are taken.
Old February 24, 2002, 01:44   #87
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Jinx!

But I have a point to make about Diplogames. They are a craft. I am very disappointed in the Saturday Night Diplogame. Because in all honesty it isn't a diplogame at all. Almost no story telling and roleplaying. This is essential for a good diplogame. We are all characters in an ever evolving story.

We can't just play with a determination to win or be biggest and best, that is folly. We all must be prepared to be in last place and like it. Some times the last place player has more fun and does a better job than some of the top dogs.

I INSIST that if you are going to sign up for this game that you read through Diplogames from the past. Read their threads, read their stories, read the roles they assume for themselves and the culture they create.

I have put much thought into this game and I want it to be a smash success. If everyone gets in the game, puts their heads down and starts building I will be deeply saddened and frustrated. Interaction is the keystone of a diplogame. Role-playing.

If you have never played a diplogame before, or if you have played them poorly before I insist you look into the proper way of conducting yourself in the game. A lot of thought and effort have been put into setting this up, I sincerely don't want anything to happen to it.

It seems the best diploplayers are no longer interested in the genre. Drake has given up, Raz is too busy, Capo... sadly, is as always, Capo. The elder originators of the craft haven't been back in a while.

As keeper of the Diplo-faith I refer everyone to the Diplo-Gospel:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1494

Good overview of Diplogames and plenty of links to all the best games that you MUST read up on. Its how I got started, its how Capo got started. We read history and then we made history.

Old February 24, 2002, 03:23   #88
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 06:20
Umm just a thought re natives in America, is there any way to set their governemnt to Democracy , then they are immune to bribery .

Go for it guys and I will look for subbing oppurtunitys as they arise...

My bet is most fun wil lbe had by Ozz as Arabs, always fun to be caught in middle!!!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old February 24, 2002, 12:34   #89
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Raz, we've still got some open slots and we need players. I would love to have you back. Sign up!

Old February 24, 2002, 17:17   #90
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Good to see diplogaming is still going strong. What we lack in numbers is made up with skill, real skills. A shame that my present job and other interests (exploring the innards of Freeciv, scenarios e.a) makes it a bit difficult for me to play throughout the week. (Having only dialup internet at the moment doesn't help much either)
It would be easier for me if it was during the weekends, but alas. You can sign me up as a sub though.

I wish all players good luck in their quest for world domination. And if you can't try and suck up or do some serious background scheming&backstabbing. Now give 'em hell!

Some wise words from the past..
Please leave your ego's at the door and enter in character instead.