Old February 19, 2002, 02:27   #31
Captain
King

Local Time: 15:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yeah, me too!

I'm having a LOT of fun both writing my parts and reading other people's!

I know I've got a lot invested in the story now but I don't want to be greedy. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to take control of the story.

How about this? I promise not to post until at LEAST THREE other writers post sections?
Sound good?

So all you writers out there, new and old, take this story where you think it should go next! Grundel, would love to have some input from you!

Besides, I know how to write to fill in what's needed and leave a bunch of options for the next writer, but I can never decide what should actually happen next. So forcing myself out for a few posts will be good. Plus I gotta get back to work...
Old February 19, 2002, 03:07   #32
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Local Time: 14:20
LOL... I guess I'll have to wait as well... C'mon people, post up
Old February 19, 2002, 16:02   #33
Grundel
Warlord

Oh all right
"Report" Admiral Sanchez commanded, his eyes never waivering from the mainland.

"Sir, this land is rich in resources. However, most of the land has been claimed by other nations. " Commander Reynaldo replied.

Sanchez retracted his spy glass and tucked it in his pouch. His attention focused fully on his commander.

"Claimed by other nations? , tell me. What is the Spanish creed?"

"To bring the light of Queen Isabella to all, m'lord"

"So then, tell me. What concern do I have over other nations? Especially these?"

Reynaldo swallowed. Sanchez seemed to always find the contemptable in everything. However, he was right. Their ship steamed from Madrid a year ago, to map out other contents, to find new worlds. And this most definitley was a new world. The natives that inhabited the land were primitive, engaged in some petty internal squabble. They knew little about politics of these people, but they did know that these savages have not mastered the art of even the simple muzzle loading rifles, let alone the breach loading guns that the marines of the Spanish Army used. There would be little resistance. He had been wittness to this bloodshed before when the Aztecs where 'liberated'.

"But sir, perhaps their cheif...this Shaka...would be reasonable? Our scouts have made contact with some of the natives, and they feel that they would be in awe of our technology. We could trade with them on our terms. They could be a protectorate..."

"These are stinking savages! Why negotiate when you can take? They do not understand the way of our people. But they will. Set in a course for home waters. We must return and take the needed steps."

Reynaldo despised him. Something must be done. "Yes sir." The commander retreated to the helm of the HMS Maria. For now, the people of this land will live. But for how long?

Last edited by Grundel; February 19, 2002 at 22:44.
Old February 19, 2002, 18:47   #34
Captain
King

whoah...that's unexpected.

Grundel, did you mean to reintroduce the Romans - the same Romans who got eliminated/assimilated by the Anklodians and Zulus sixteen years ago? (or is this something farther in the future?) Or is this altogether a different tribe that happens to have the same name?

either way, it's cool. just curious...
Old February 19, 2002, 19:22   #35
Grundel
Warlord

Crap

That is one of the reasons that i did not want to get involved. I did not realize that they were already introduced.

I will edit my story.

Sorry for the lack of continuity
Old February 19, 2002, 19:39   #36
Grundel
Warlord

Upon researching the historical transcripts, it appears the the historians misinterpreted ancient text. It was the ENglish, not the Romans. But as you can tell, the ancient word for conqueror is similar to both English and Roman.

Old February 19, 2002, 19:59   #37
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Eh? Ain't the English already there? And already know of the Shaka reign and whatnot?

Awww... heck, lets just change it to Japanese, just to be safe
Old February 19, 2002, 22:51   #38
Grundel
Warlord

I tried.
I could have swore that i had read the entire post. But dammit. I missed the freaking english. I have edited my post AGAIN!!!

I guess the surgery took alot out of me. I always try to keep continuity in all of my stories. I failed miserably here, and am afrain that any thunder, or entertainment value that my contribution could have provided has been shredded and discarded like an old newspaper.

Still, Ike had a great idea here, and hopefully we can get some more of these going. But then again, that kid always had some real original ideas.

I am glad to see that the forum has picked back from back in my day Keep these stories coming.
Old February 19, 2002, 23:30   #39
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

LOL, don't worry about, only a minor error.

Hopefully somebody else posts up soon, so we can keep this thread new the top, where it belongs!
Old February 20, 2002, 17:39   #40
Captain
King

Grundel, no worries! You did great! Hope the recovery from surgery is going well.

A touch of real-life historicity with the Spanish and the Aztecs there eh?

Sovy, go ahead and post. According to my earlier promise, I've still got to wait for one other poster before jumping back in but there's no reason you have to.

I've got a bit of a plotline forming for Naldo and a special somebody... a touch on an Anglo-Chinese war (TBA)... with a bit back on the Zulu civil war... and a tie in with the Spaniards in the near future. I'll leave what the Russians do totally up to you. Feel free to write for any of the other civs too! or even a new civ...

btw, don't feel too sorry for Shaka. the monster's quite the survivalist!

Happy writing everyone!
Old February 21, 2002, 11:51   #41
ElDiablo
Chieftain

Trotsky, being a man of action and not a man of decisions, knew that he would not be the best choice to rule over the newly-freed Russian empire. However, all was not lost. He knew about one young woman who was quite influential in the revolution. Even after many Russian citizens had fallen in the revolution of St. Petersburg and the revolters there were going to give up, she had managed to revive their spirits with a patriotic, courageous speech. She would be the perfect ruler for his mother country.
---------------------
5 months later

Catherine, the newly-crowned monarch of Russia, looked at her domestic advisor in disbelief and anger. Not long after the Russian people had kicked their Zulu oppressors out of their homeland, but another group of dissentors had formed in a few western cities.

Catherine remembered her history well. It was a few decades before the Zulus had arrived that the Russians had completed their conquest of the Indian empire. But, even though all efforts were made to placate the Indian people as an attempt to assimilate them into the Russian norm, it is impossible to please everyone.

Now, these Indians had not only emigrated from the Russian cities en masse, but they had started their Indian civilization once again to the west of the Russians in the unexplored regions.

---------------------
Meanwhile, to the west of the known world...

Rohan, the descendent of Gandhi, the ruler of the first Indian empire, and leader of the second empire, knew what he was doing. He knew that the Russians were unable to explore these lands as they were too weak from fighting his ancestors.

However, many years before, as the Russians were winning the first great war, Gandhi knew the time had come to prepare for the future and he had taken some mobile forces from the front lines to explore these lands and Rohan knew how rich in resources they were. In the rolling hills and the grassy plains, there were horses, iron, elephants, saltpeter, silk and spices in abundance. The great ocean that connected many of the known empires had a great bay that the Indians had put their capital, New Delhi, next to.

Rohan was now praising his ancestor's foresight and he knew that his newly-formed Indian army would be able to stop any invading force, Russian or otherwise, from taking over the Indian empire again.

His Indians were also given muskets by the English during the revolution against the Zulus and using the saltpeter they had, they made more to arm their ten musketmen divisions. Also, they harnessed the elephants with great plates of armour and after training these great beasts, they had 5 highly-mobile, mighty divisions of war elephants.

Not only that, but the Indians had fortified some of the eastern mountains of their empire and had placed catapults in them to fire upon any invaders as well as give warning to the rest of the empire.

All the scientific knowledge the Russians possessed was taken by the Indians so that they would never be looked upon again as primitive barbarians waiting to be conquered.

Rohan looked over all of these military progress reports with glee. How he would like to see Catherine's face now.
Old February 21, 2002, 11:52   #42
ElDiablo
Chieftain

There we go, Captain...
You can post again.
Old February 21, 2002, 12:35   #43
godinex
Prince

... and the history?
Old February 21, 2002, 18:59   #44
Captain
King

Indians in the West eh? Looks interesting...
It's good to see another contribution from you ElDiablo! What do you think of the story thus far - any real upsets?

Quote:
Originally posted by ElDiablo
There we go, Captain...
You can post again.
almost! but I've got to wait for at least one other poster before I'm allowed to continue... here's hoping one will come soon!
Old February 21, 2002, 19:00   #45
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by godinex
... and the history?
I don't get it. What do you mean? Does something not make sense or is something missing?
Old February 21, 2002, 23:53   #46
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

But it seems like everybody has forgotton about the Chinese.

In their time of exploration, and settling across their much uncharted territory, they finally found the source of saltpeter for their needs in constructing many fireworks.

Suprisingly, nobody bothered to investigate further into this substance, but one day, a breakthrough took place.

"Lord Mao! We have finally discovered further uses of this saltpeter!" cried out a scholar, while rushing into Mao's chambers with a scroll in hand.

Mao was sitting behind his desk, sorting through a number of papers. He looked up from his papers at the scholar bursting through unexpectedly. What other use was their for saltpeter?

The scholar dropped the scroll infront of Mao, while he nearly dropped to the floor himself.

Mao picked up the Scroll, and looked it over. Inside, their were weapon schamatics, as well as showing the theory behind the new Muskets. Even more so, the discovery of a vast deposit of saltpeter was being excavated near a town that was recently settled.

Mao smirked. He finally understood why the English were so eager to buy off the technology from him.

"Messenger!" began Mao, waving down the messenger down the hall. The messenger boy appraoched Mao, while Mao was writing down some orders for his soldiers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several Months Later...

"Lord Mao, we are proud to present our striking force that we have compiled to use to land on the English shores," stated a young officer, bowing down at Mao's feet.

Mao smirked. Soon after he had discovered the new use and supply of saltpeter, he was about to begin construction upon thousands of muskets. But a new version of the musket was created. Shoot farther, more accurately... He began construction of those instead.

There is at least 600,000 of these units, and there is still not enough to man his impressive army. Of course, he was careful to make the numbers more likely to appear 60,000 instead, to those vile English flakes.

The forces to transport these soldiers across the sea was a set of carracks, galleys and frigates. The frigates to make sure the transports don't get sunk, or stolen from the English. Not like they knew they were coming anyways.

The Navy pushed off as soon as the last supplies for the voyage beyond was loaded. And the ships set off, without a hitch.

A few days later, the Queen got a rather unexpected news report.

"M'lady! The Chinese have declared war against us! Further reports also dictate that within the span of 2 days, the entire army of the Chinese will be upon us!" spoke outload the messenger, as he bursted into the room to report to Elizebeth.

Elizebeth was in the middle of changing clothes, and would have normally imprisoned the messenger for his rash decisions, were not for the fact that the Chinese were about to land on her shores.

She also knew that she had no frigates or ships of defense in the southern waters. There was no need really. The Chinese often times traded with the English, and were often considered allies, if not in military means, then by trade.

The queen quickly dismissed the messenger boy, and got her maids to place some clothes on her quickly. She was out to meet her advisors within minutes.

"My lady, it is imperitive that we take our frigates from the north to guard our underdefended south. We may not even put a budge in the initial landing, but it will ward off any reinforcements that will be expected," said the Advisor of Defense.

"As well, my Queen, that we should take our forces stationed in the lands taken by France, and send them to London for defense. The two coastal cities will not be able to recieve our help, and most likely will be taken. The last thing we need is our defensive units to be out in the open, and ready to be slaughtered," spoke the Advisor of Internal Affairs.

The Queen was lost in thought at the situation. How could the Chinese declare war against the English?

It was time for action.

Elizebeth stood up, and began to get ready to state her orders.

"Chief, I want you to prepare the defences of the coastal cities. I want ships, ammunitions, cannons, the shaningans on full alert. Mr. Heckels, I want you to find out additional information about the Chinese. I know on paper the Chinese have at the most 80,000 units, but you know that I know that that is complete Bull. I want numbers to FIND out what we are up against, and to prepare a counter assault immediately. Mssr. Louis, you will handle the French affairs, and MAKE SURE they DO NOT revolt! This is the perfect time for them to take advantage of our situation," stated the Queen, in a frantic way, while pointing fingers at the Advisor of Defense, Foriegn Advisor, and Internal Affairs Advisor respectfully.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Spanish Armada

The spanish armada was making its way towards the Zulu/Ankolodus continent.

"Captain, sir, we are approaching the Anlodians coast," said the first mate. Onboard the most advanced ship of the world, an ironclad type, the SS Madrid, lies the lethality of dozens of cannons. The Spanish are amongst the most advanced in the world. Being isolated on their meek island for centuries led to mass development of many technologies. But being on a meek island also resulted in overcrowding problems.

The Spaniards need more land.

The initial plan was for the Spanish to land and take over the Zulu's, but that has changed now. Ever since the Zulu's finally got themselves organized, they had become allies with the Russians in their Communist similiarities. Attacking the Zulu's will result in failure.

Instead, the new target is the Ankolodians. Not only are the Ankolodians are weak and fragile with their meek military, but as well that the Ankolodians are hated by the Zulu's. Not so much to declare war while the Spanish are taking cities and tagging bodies, but enough not to interfere with Spanish business.

The Spanish Armada continued its trek. Its target is Citadan.
Old February 22, 2002, 17:48   #47
Captain
King

Here's part one, a longer set is coming soon.

The National Museum of Civilization proudly presents:

Anklodus Rediscovered

The film will be showing shortly. Please activate your textpads for background material while you wait.

--- The following is excerpted from:
A Brief History of the World, by Recife Jocan
Chapter IV: Imperialism, Nationalism, and the Renaissance
Adapted by Dr. Amanda Theterdon, Assistant Curator

"Historians look back on this period as being the Age of Armadas. For a diversity of reasons, this block of history was replete with more invasions and counter-invasions than any other (except for the series of World Wars several centuries later.) The scale of the events and the unprecedented number of people involved in these conflicts have often overshadowed some of the less grandiose, but nonetheless salient, issues. With two large scale invasions in the works, the continued civil strife amongst the Zulu nation, the Russian reconstruction program, and the appearance of the Indian nation on the world stage, it is not hard to understand why most history books gloss over Featherstone Manor as a mere hunting lodge.

To understand its importance, one has to go back several decades to the very beginning of the Anklodian Republic. If you recall, the Republic was founded by refugees fleeing the tyranny of Caesar's rule. They found sanctuary north of the old Roman empire in a fertile land, all the while preparing for the inevitable conflict. While the city was administered by a council of elders and Naldo was merely Captain of the Guard, he was considered by many to be the true leader of the people. You must understand that this was the beginning of the experiment with Republican style government (very similar to today's modern democracy), and that not only was there uncertainty as to how long it would last against the despotic neighbours, but also as to how well it would work.

The epic battle between Naldo and Caesar has been greatly exaggerated by the film industry but there is evidence that suggests Naldo really did possess the famous three gifts of iron. (The shield is the only gift that has survived the centuries and you can find it in the display of Early Anklodian History in Hall B8.) What is not so well-known is that this gift from the elders came with certain conditions. Given that Naldo was uncertain of surviving the duel, it is assumed he agreed to them.

One of these was that should Naldo win, he would not be permitted to marry. At the time, the elders did not suspect Naldo would gain immortality but they rightly guessed that his victory would propel him to an unrivalled position of leadership. Despite Naldo's character, the elders trusted no one. After all, the quote "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" by famous philosopher Yerfus Ablung applied to everyone. They did not want to start Naldo or his heirs to start a monarchy.

Further exacerbating the problem was that Shaka's monarchy was a direct threat to the Republic. Many were clamouring for Naldo to assume kingship as a way of countering the powerful Zulus. The clause forbidding his marriage ensured that Naldo would have no legitimate heirs to found or continue a monarchy.

Of course, this was a secret clause and it remains a little-known fact. Along with the newly discovered artifacts, this is one of the reasons for the current Exhibit.

Featherstone Manor was located just north of the second Anklodian city of Verdanis. Though today there is little left of the original wilderness (apart from the National Wildlife Reserve), at the time the forest had abundant game. After he had gained his guise of immortality, Naldo spent much of his time at the lodge - leaving the Republic's daily operation in the hands of the elders and returning only when public ceremony or emergency required it. It was here that Naldo first met his would-be bride and here that they spent many happy years together. Her name was Elwyn.

Like any other warrior or powerful man (and recall that the Republic was politically advanced but socially entrenched in the pervading culture of the time), Naldo was given "rights" to many women. Though disgusting by our current standards, this was true for almost all the council elders. The Republic's one positive policy was that the women had to be willing. This can be contrasted to the rule of Shaka, or the practices on the English continent. Still, the Elders had certain other policies that will cause even the most ardent Anklodian nationalist to feel shame. Naldo's women were not permitted to be monogamous or even faithful. It was required by the Council that any woman who slept with Naldo must also sleep with at least ten other men within one week of the event. Its aim was to make any offspring not only illegitimate but also a bastard child with no specific father.

Given this information, Featherstone Manor takes on a whole new importance. The Elders did not find out about Elwyn for nearly six years. When they did, they acted most unscrupulously - though it is argued that they acted in the interests of the nation. Naldo was recalled to Citadel under the pretense of a military emergency while covert agents from the Council travelled to Featherstone. Historians still debate whether Naldo was aware of Elwyn's pregnancy at that stage."

Please return all textpads to the usher and have your tickets ready for scanning. The ushers will distribute 3-D eyepieces for an additional six credits. For your safety, please activate 3-D eyepieces only when inside the theatre. We hope you've enjoyed the Exhibit thus far. Exit by the far doors only and enjoy the show.
---

Last edited by Captain; February 22, 2002 at 19:04.
Old February 22, 2002, 19:05   #48
Captain
King

There's more...

General Jaffa was livid with rage. He almost couldn't believe it - but there it was. The evidence pointed clearly to what he had never suspected. He had been betrayed. He would have sworn revenge from his descendents if he didn't already know how futile that was. He would never live to see the day of vengeance. He looked up into Shaka's dark eyes and he finally understood.

"Kinsa, Kinsa, Kinsa. You almost had me. Mutabo played his role admirably. But when you've experienced human nature as much as I have, you learn to read past people's outward behaviour. His hatred of me was well-masked but I haven't survived this long by trusting others. It's too bad you won't."

"So kill me already! I've had enough of your patronizing drivel. The Revolution will survive me! And one day they'll triumph, no matter how many Mutabos and Kinsas you slaughter. You can't hold back fate forever Shaka!"

"My dear, naive Kinsa - I'm not going to kill you. Why should I when your own supporters will do that for me? And don't glare at me like that. It's bad for your eyes. "

Shaka turned his back to her, unconcerned that she was unbound. His large frame blocked out the light from the single torch in the cell. Kinsa briefly considered launching an attack, if she didn't kill him, perhaps he would be forced to kill her. But she decided against it. Shaka was not only the consummate politician and strategist but also a powerful warrior. That was how he had gotten his Chieftainship in the first place. He could easily dodge her clumsy attack and prevent her from harming herself. Shaka's deep voice abruptly started again.

"You're right about one thing Kinsa. The revolution will go on. Not only that, but it will triumph. In fact, I'm counting on it. Only this time, I'll be at the head of it instead of you."

"They're not that stupid as to believe this! They'll remember who you really are! You can't hide those facts!"

"What facts? Dear woman, it seems that in your desperation you have taken leave of your senses. I never carried out any atrocities - my rebellious generals did. Finally having freed myself from their house arrest, I have worked tirelessly for the good people of this land. I have been slandered and misunderstood - only now does my true nature shine forth. You, on the other hand, have betrayed your supporters and they'll not look too kindly on that. "

Kinsa could only stare at him. This monster was about to set her before the wolves and co-opt the revolution, but she couldn't help but admire the way he had engineered such a reversal of fortune. Only two days ago, Kinsa was closing the noose around his neck - and now... well, she was not a religious woman but all she could do was pray that someday the people would see Shaka for who he really was.

In a few hours, Shaka had ordered his generals to release Kinsa. His spies tracked her over the next two days. She had originally been too afraid to return to her own supporters but after a while she decided to chance it. The spies reported her execution at the hands of the communists. The plan was successful. The Communists believed Kinsa had betrayed the other leaders to General Jaffa and blamed her for the Zimbabwe massacre.

"So, you have sold us out. This is the coldest form of treachery Shaka." General Jaffa was shaking with rage. Colonel Lepopo was sitting in the corner in stunned disbelief. Only the small figurines on the war room's large map table wore no expression.

"It's nothing personal Jaffa." Shaka's calm voice was utterly devoid of any compassion.

"No. Apparently not. Friendship means nothing to you."

"This is a very poor argument if you're trying to convince me to spare you."

Jaffa exploded. "We were loyal to you! We risked our lives for you! Even now, when danger is all around, we never left you or gave up on you. How can you do this to us?"

"Consider it your final act of sacrifice then. Your deaths will ensure my survival. I'd promise you a state funeral but since you'll be considered a traitor by the new order, that's not going to happen. Can't promise to take care of your families either, they'll be considered accomplices, or at least benefactors to your oppressive regime. Might have to wipe them out too as part of the image."

Jaffa looked at Shaka. The man was unarmed. Jaffa was nearly as large as Shaka and he had been a warrior for several decades. He knew none of that counted but he reached for his secret dagger anyways.

Shak had both the experience of the ages and eternal youth. Jaffa's swift and deadly strike was parried and Shaka dealt him a devastating blow across the neck. Jaffa fell across the map table, cascading elegantly onto the floor.

"Stupid. He knew better." Shaka looked at Jaffa with disgust. He despised weakness.

Colonel Lepopo finally broke out of his trance. He took one look at Jaffa's crumpled body and then at Shaka. He ran.

"Feh! I'm surrounded by idiots. I can't believe I didn't kill these fools sooner." Shaka turned and pulled one of the ceremonial spears off the nearest wall. Colonel Lepopo was within two steps of the exit but it may as well have been a mile.

"Comrade Shaka, when do you think the counter-attack will come?" The young Zulu stood on the only hill in the area for miles. This region was thick with forests except for a small patch of cleared farmland. The besieged city lay right in the middle of it, about four miles north of the hill where the Communist Western Army Division had their headquarters.

"Soon Comrade, soon. They know it's only a matter of time before starvation takes effect. I estimate they've less than a week's worth of supplies left."

"Thank you comrade. The Divisional Commander will be pleased. He was arguing with the Divisional Commissar about not pushing a frontal attack this week."

"Yes comrade. The Commander is quite right. There is no need to waste lives. When the city counterattacks, they'll have to open their gates - we can take it then."

"You do not think the Anklodians will attack? Comrade?"

"No. I have known their leader for some time. He is overly cautious - and I understand he has certain other distractions. The Council of Elders at Citadel is no longer as supportive as it once was. Make note, we may have to intervene here. Naldo is a powerful rival but at least he is a stable one. If a new leader should arise, we may be in trouble. Current Anklodian culture and strategy is defensive. They wait for an attack before countering. As long as we are not foolish enough to attack them, they will wait contentedly until it is too late and we have taken the last RoZ (Republic of Zululand) city. And after this one, there is only one left. " Shaka grinned at that thought. Once more, Zululand would be united. The long, disastrous civil war would be over and Shaka could concentrate on the foreign powers.

"I knew it! Comrade Shaka, the others doubted you, especially the older officers but I knew they were just jealous. They said you couldn't be trusted and you were just using the revolution to further your own cause. But now I know you are truly a man of the people. Countless times you have walked bravely into the face of danger for the cause. When you killed the vile General Jaffa, when you led the assault on the palace, when you raided the Anklodian borderlands, when you led the Northern Expedition, when you rallied the army to stop the Republican advance, when you threw the English out of our southern ports, and just now, when you led your spies through the city sewer system - you have put yourself in great peril!

"Yes comrade. I have done all this, but I am no hero. I am just an ordinary man who wants to make right this nation. I would do anything to ensure the future of our people. Now, I have more experience, true... but someday, you'll have that experience too. There is no other difference between us. If you learn from my example, great things are in store for you, and this wonderful country of ours. "

The young Zulu could only look at Shaka with admiration.

Last edited by Captain; February 22, 2002 at 20:32.
Old February 22, 2002, 20:28   #49
Captain
King

Decided to break it up into separate posts because I didn't want to lose a story to the net cutting out on me.

-----

Norbert Haverstaff loaded the saltpeter barrels onto the HMS Notre Dame. Norbert was the first child born on this tiny island, far to the north of the English mainland. He was in his early teens, born only one year after the island colony was founded. Saltpeter may have been very valuable in the rest of England, but here, on Eiler's Isle, it was like table salt. Norbert and his friends had lit so many firecrackers, even that was getting boring. Still, it was about the only entertaining thing to do on this isolated rock. Ever since the Zulus ousted the English from their treaty ports, trade had dropped off to a near zero. The Russians were still in the business of reconstruction and needed supplies but they scarcely had the funds to purchase them. Besides, even if they rebuilt their industry, their economic system was a mess - it was some strange combination of communistic central planning and monarchic mercantilism. Still, occasionally exotic Russian wares came in for trade. Norbert had only taken this job to pay for the rare Russian goods. Now, his ordinary task of loading the ships was paramount to the survival of the English nation. But that wasn't what he was thinking. He was thinking how he might sneak onto one of these ships. Perhaps later he might even get to join the navy or the army and finally see some action.

The Notre Dame had just returned from a routine patrol to discover that England was at war and had recalled the entire Northern Fleet to defend the southern waters. The crew was stunned at the news. No one had ever suspected China would attack. Hadn't trade been most valuable to both nations? Didn't the Chinese know that their outdated military was no match for England's musket powered one? The Russian repulsion of the Zulus proved that muskets could cut down mounted riders quite easily. Perhaps China had some secret weapon?

But still, why? There was no provocation, no general dislike of each other's cultures. The Notre Dame's captain, John Hargreaves of earlier fame in the Russo-Zulu war, had messaged headquarters twice, just to be sure he hadn't heard wrong. Now, he was once again playing a key role for his nation. The Notre Dame wouldn't sail for southern waters as a fighting frigate. The newer Man O Wars would do a much better job of sinking Chinese ships. But the Notre Dame was fast and it had the vital task of securing the shipping lane from Eiler's Island to Orleans.

Not that there was much threat from nearby foreign powers. The Russians were occupied with rebuilding, as well as the newly revived and newly discovered Indian nation on their western border. The Zulus were getting stronger and their civil war seemed almost at an end, but their navy was largely neglible. Even the great invasion they launched years ago used Russian ships. The Anklodians were gaining strength as their Republic's economy bloomed, but their military was primarily defensive. They were also slow to colonize the southern portion of their continent. There was the city of New Roma and rumours that new settlements founded around there, but along the southwestern coast, the Anklodians were invisible. The English had explored the eastern coast of Anklodus but there were only three coastal cities there, only one having a harbour.

There was little need for the Notre Dame to play escort, and Hargreaves and his crew were itching to fight the Chinese, but this was still important. England still depended on this island as their SOLE supply of saltpeter. English scientists were working on a substitute, synthesized from other chemicals but this couldn't be counted on. In addition, there was the threat of piracy. Not enough to threaten the colony or cut off shipping completely, but enough to hamper deliveries. With the Notre Dame and two of the newer Man'O'Wars, there had been no trouble at all. Now the Notre Dame would shoulder the responsibility alone. Hargreaves' plans for retiring to the French Riviera would have to be put on hold.

Yuri Yevgeny knocked on the door. There was no response. He tried to peer through the window but there was too much dirt. This squalid neighbourhood was no place for a war hero. Yevgeny tried the doorknob and it turned. He stepped inside.

"Leon?"
No response. Yuri looked around. Nobody in the hallway or the small room to the right.

"Are you there?"
Still no response. Nobody in the kitchen either.

"Leon, it's Yuri here. I hope you haven't done anything foolish."

Yevgeny walked out the back door. Leon Trotsky was slumped in a chair though from his dishevelled appearance he was almost camouflaged in the dump he called his backyard. A nasally snore whistled from Trotsky's direction.

"Leon. It's Yuri. Get up."

Trotsky slept on. Yuri looked around. That watering can was just what he needed.

After Trotsky dried himself off and calmed down, the two men sat down for tea. Yuri and Leon had carried on this tradition every Thursday afternoon since the Zulu war.

"How does reconstruction come along in the other cities?"

"Not bad. Odessa, Sevastopol, and Minsk are almost back to normal, bur half of Rostov remains under rubble. A bit better than this hovel you call home though."

"It suits my current condition. Russia has always been about what is fitting."

"Ah, Leon... I had forgotten about your poetic tendencies. You may want to visit Volvograd, they're still rebuilding the cathedral there but the young saplings planted by the riverbank have finally blossomed. You may get inspiration from that. In the opposite corner, Moscow remains as beautiful as ever. The Queen never leaves the palace, so reconstruction hasn't been a priority for her. She's still obsessed with unifying the continent. "

"It's all rhetoric. Unification happened once before - in Lenin's reign. But that was when all our cities were at top production and our enemies small and weak. Rohan's Indians are not the pushover that Gandhi's Indians were."

"Then you don't know? Just last week our Queen laid claim to all the Indian territories."

"No... but I should have suspected. You hadn't visited me in uniform for several years now. You are the loyal officer, as ever. And she is as impetuous as ever. You tried to dissuade her?"

"She never heeded your advice after being crowned, why should she listen to her generals now?"

"Humph. Then it was a good thing I retired from public life. I do not envy you your position Yuri."

"If it wasn't enough antagonizing the Indian population in our own country, she's got to make subjects out of Rohan's people. And guess who's in charge of preparing our armed forces for that one...I have enough trouble as it is, and our people are weary of war. They don't want this and I'll probably have to resort to conscription to get enough manpower. That last war we were in was a debacle of epic proportions."

"Yes, Lenin was a fool. Let's invade Zululand! Oh, wait... no, let's get our boys slaughtered by Zulu knights and then give them our ships so they can come here and rape our women too. We lost almost every city then, and it's taken decades to rebuild to half our former strength. Only those timely English muskets have kept us secure while we rebuilt our homes and businesses. I can't believe she wants another war. She's young, but surely she remembers the horrors we went through."

"Yes. That's exactly why she's declared it. She's worried the local Indian population will revolt and ask Rohan's Indian nation to "rescue" them. She wants to strike first, hopefully fighting an offensive war on only Indian soil. She may be undisputed monarch, but we've had revolutions before. The people will not forgive a leader who lets foreign armies into Russia. Remember Lenin?"

"Yes, who could forget? That rat bastrd deserved what he got."

"Leon, you understand my predicament. I need your advice. I must obey the Queen but I don't think we can beat these Indians. I'm sure we could hold them off from invading us, but I don't think we have the means or the will to even get past their frontline. It's very well defended and I'm sure to lose many of our fine lads."

"Two generations have already had to suffer. Why not another?"

"Don't be cynical Leon, I'm trying my best. I come to you for help, not your disdain."

"Yuri - forgive me. I know that you have always been an honourable man. Your intentions are noble and your love for the motherland is admirable. I surrendered to fate, but you have never given up hope. I am always at your service, my friend, but I do not know how valuable my advice will be. It is true I rallied the people in the fight against the Zulus, but my advice in choosing the next leader was poor. "

"Don't blame yourself Leon -"

"But I was the one who chose Catherine! I saw great promise in her. She had intelligence, courage, resolve, and loyalty. She only lacked the wisdom to listen to others. I had hoped she would overcome this pride but she was always too afraid to admit she needed help. Not only did she dismiss me, but she also refused Neblevsky's advice on our prisoner Wazahari. He would have been a great ally. He knew Shaka had abandoned him and he even had Communist sympathies. He might have secured a lasting peace with the Communist Zulus instead of this ridiculous cease-fire. But Catherine had him executed. She delays our nation's progress with an incompetant reconstruction program and now she has plunged us into a foolish war!"

"It is not on your shoulders alone. You may have nominated her but we all agreed with you. You were a great leader once, and people still listen to you. Perhaps the Queen will hear you too."

"She's sooner have my head than take my advice. You heard here tell me she never wanted to see me again. The student has surpassed the master she said."

"There is always hope, no?"

"Hmph. You are far too optimistic for your own good. Still, I will do it. And if she does not listen, I will help you plan for this ridiculous war."

Last edited by Captain; February 22, 2002 at 23:32.
Old February 22, 2002, 21:51   #50
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 12:20
My stupid computer didn't show any replies after the ninteenth, and I wrote a long story that is now completely out of date. Luckily I deleted it.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Last edited by johncmcleod; February 22, 2002 at 22:24.
Old February 22, 2002, 22:17   #51
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 12:20
Sorry this reply is here. It didn't let me delete it, so I just took out my story.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Last edited by johncmcleod; February 22, 2002 at 22:25.
Old February 22, 2002, 22:19   #52
Captain
King

I've been writing like a madman, but one more before I call it a night...
hope I've been entertaining with my contributions and not boring you guys to death!

Coming soon, stories from the Chinese & the Spanish!

-- edit paste ---
I had a bit with Johnmcleod's Japan invasion and Iroquois alliance, but since he took that out, I took them out of this post too. Maybe someone will reintroduce them, or not. Eventually we'll have to circumnavigate the globe and find all the existing civilizations before World War One happens.
--- end paste ---

I'll come back to Naldo's "love" story later. Suffice it to say that for now, Naldo doesn't even know what his Council has done behind his back... you'll be surprised at how this affects the future and how Shaka plays a key role too.

*** From China with Love ***

Wu Dan Xia stood at attention. His ornate robes were immaculately clean and his long hair was tied neatly in a traditional queue. As Imperial messenger, he did not run the messages about like a common courier. His job was to take the scrolls from the couriers and pigeon-handlers and read it for the Emperor. In this manner, he came to have a very broad knowledge of the Imperial schemes. Still, he didn't quite know what to make of this war.

China had not been at war for as long as he could remember. It was said that in some earlier age, barbarians used to roam both the western and eastern lands. Only the lush river valley of Beijing and Guangdong (Canton to the English) had been civilized from the beginning. Now, the Chinese Empire bestrode the entire continent - or at least, the valuable parts of it. The wastelands to the West had not been colonized until recently due to the huge problem of overcrowding. That was when the saltpeter was discovered and the beginnings of something very untraditional.

In all its history, China had never launched a major invasion. The small tribes of barbarians had been dealt with by force when necessary, but more typically they were absorbed by the superior Chinese culture. China had plenty of military experience though - the borderlands were always ripe for some would-be prince to revolt. They claimed high taxes and Imperial excess as the reasons but Wu knew power was always what it was about. These petty warlords were put down by Imperial troops quite handily, especially with the discovery of mounted troops. Imperial Riders could reach any Chinese City from their garrisons within one week - made possible by China's extensive network of roads.

China's infrastructure was not limited to simply roads, but to a vast web of canals and irrigation ditches. Chinese food production had exploded and the population with it. With the bourgeoning population, cities were getting far too overcrowded. High density buildings and multiplexes higher than three stories were unknown at the time, but even with that, the waste and sanitary problems were insurmountable. Expansion was the key. Even with emigration from the cities at an unprecedented level, the Emperor still ordered people to be forcibly relocated. One quarter of Nanjing's population, that is three hundred thousand people, was relocated to the farthest western wastelands. It is estimated that half of them shortly after arriving due to lack of food. Still, the core cities were growing at an astonishing rate. Slums grew up on the edges of the cities and soon these slums formed a connected pathway from one city to another. They were even starting to eat up valuable farmland. Could be self-limiting in that way, but that wasn't the solution the authorities wanted. These slums were breeding grounds for crime and the large mobs that gathered in the city squares threatened the peace and order the Chinese rulers worked so hard to keep.

No, despite all these measures, China was growing more and more overpopulated and all kinds of social problems were growing with it. Rush jobs and slave labour reduced the population but increased resentment - not an ideal solution. Something needed to be done before Chinese Empire imploded upon itself. It needed an outlet. The eastern lands ended in mountainous crags that overlooked the sea. The Chinese had already filled in every livable nook and cranny in that direction. The core river valleys were choked with human filth (though that only served to fertilize it more). Chinese doctors feared an epidemic of all kinds of disease. Already Shanghai was hit with cholera and corpses were piling up in the streets. The Imperial army had quarantined the city but people continued to slip out through the chain of slums. It would only be a matter of time before China succumbed. The western lands had been colonized remarkably quick and though Chongqing was less than thirty years old, its population topped the million person mark. People had stopped emigrating there ten years ago and were plying ever westward. But further west was only barren hills and cold frozen land. There were few mountains by the coast where gold mining had gone on for ages, but the infusion of new Chinese emigrants was more than this land could bear. No doubt the Chinese tried hard to make it work, but many had given and tried to return to the heartlands.

The were no other islands within immediate reach and even the English shore was some distance away. Still, its fertile lands beckoned and many Chinese were already trying to establish themselves on England's south shore. These were mostly wealthy merchants and traders but the Chinese Emperor felt this was an opportunity all Chinese should have. And by Heaven, if they didn't take that opportunity, he would force them.

There was simply no way around it. If there was some unoccupied land that would give the emigrants a remote chance of making a living, perhaps this war wouldn't have happened. China needed an outlet and England was its best bet. Better this than rot in their own filth. Better this than revolution. this was not only an outlet for the population growth but for social unrest. Better to put aggression against the English than the monarchy.

Of course, this was all just speculation. Wu Dan Xia had no idea what the Emperor's rationale was, but his patchwork theory was pretty good considering his sources. Imperial messages were always reliable, if somewhat cryptic. Wu loked up. The Emperor had just completed another message for the army. He would need it delivered.

As Wu retreated from Mao's private study to deliver the scroll to the pigeon-keep in the upper tower of the Palace, Mao considered rescinding his last order. Perhaps it was a little excessive? But no, he decided against it. Two million people would be drafted as both military conscripts and colonists. They would reinforce the current invading army once the new fleet was assembled. Too bad about the Xiang Xiang forest. Its beautiful old growth groves were gone forever. Incomplete, but still, that new fleet looked almost impressive enough to make up for it...

But rumour had it the English had diverted their fleet southwards. Too late to stop the first invasion but not the second. The new fleet was mostly galleons with a few frigates. Many would perish against the English Man O War. But if the invasion costed the Chinese innumerable lives, what difference did it make to the Emperor? The heartland would be rid of troublemakers and the people would blame the English, not the Mao.

No, war looked better and better to Emperor Mao the more he thought about it.

---
The conservative Chinese scholars called this period of growth and expansion, the "Years of Blossoming". Liberal Chinese scholars (often considered foreign sympathizers) sardonically called it "From China with Love".
---

*** The Maria and The Madrid ***

Admiral Sanchez polished his sabre. It was purely decorative since the modern Spanish army used nothing but rifles and bayonets, but Sanchez was one of the few remaining Spaniards that practiced swordsmanship.

So was Reynaldo. That and their distinguished military careers was about all they shared in common. Sanchez was pure-blood Spanish, from a wealthy and powerful family in Madrid. He had been an aristocrat his entire life and an officer since he was sixteen. A life served on a silver platter didn't make him weak though. Sanchez believed in strength and his file proved it. When he was eighteen, he led his troops against an Aztec rebellion where two hundred Spaniards were taken hostage. Sanchez' tactics were brilliant, and when the Aztecs saw their position was untenable, they tried to negotiate safe passage in exchange for the hostages. Sanchez refused. Only fourteen of the hostages were ever recovered but all two thousand Aztecs were slaughtered mercilessly. Sanchez was a hero and awarded the medal of valour. Later, when the full story came out, there was some outcry from the families, but Sanchez was untouchable. Even without his family connections, he was too valuable an officer and warrior. He had killed twenty Aztecs himself, including seven with the sword alone. The army was not about to court-martial him.

Instead, they transferred him to the Navy. They were only too glad to have him. He made Admiral in record time though he refused the post three times for fear he would not be able to participate in front line battle. Even now, the Navy was apprehensive about sending him on this frigate to lead the assault. They wanted him to take the ironclad SS Madrid, but Sanchez refused. He wanted to be in the thick of the battle and the Madrid would only play a support role in bombardment, not actually assaulting the beaches. The two divisions of marines on board the HMS Maria would - and Sanchez wanted to be part of that glory.

Reynaldo despised the man. Sanchez was powerful, and dangerous... but he was also arrogant. If there was one thing Commander Reynaldo couldn't stand, it was arrogance. He had suffered under the military's aristocratic prejudices for his whole career. It had taken him decades to become an officer. Now he was one, and his reputation was phenomenal - Admiral Sanchez had requested to be on board Reynaldo's ship specifically - but years of mistreatment and being slighted were not forgotten easily. It could be said that this was the cause of Reynaldo's downfall - for in every other way the man was the epitome of good grace and good character.

Unlike Sanchez, Reynaldo was a mongrel - half Spanish, half Aztec. It pained him to do so, for he felt it a betrayal of his mother, but he did his best to hide his heritage. The army already knew he was not from one of the established families and this had delayed his promotion for some time. If they knew of his Aztec blood... his distinguished career would protect him, but he could kiss his future goodbye. Sanchez's denigrating attitude towards anything non-Spanish grated against Reynaldo.

If he weren't an Admiral, and if he weren't as skilled a fighter as he was, Reynaldo would have loved to have taken him down a notch. As it was, he had to bite his tongue and watch the Admiral strut about waving his sword - quite literally! Sanchez' swordsmanship was very good and he took pride in displaying it. Yesterday, he had wasted two very fine canteloupes from the ship's galley by tossing them in the air and cutting them into perfect quarters before they landed. The marines were in awe and even some of Reynaldo's own crew cheered. Reynaldo took comfort in the fact that he didn't need to show off his skill. Even though he could no longer practice in the privacy of his small cabin (the Admiral had taken his quarters), Reynaldo knew he was better. He could have cut the melons into eighths. He imagined it was Sanchez' head and it was sixteenths...

Sanchez' bellowing voice rung out and Reynaldo had to interrupt his reverie.

"Those savages will soon feel the heat of our guns! It will be a glorious day for the Spanish Empire! I can see by your contented look that you are envisioning the same! That, or a fine Spanish woman!"

Reynaldo did not bother correcting him.
"Yes sir. Indeed, the inhabitants of this continent will soon be under our dominion."

"As they rightly should be! Remember the Spanish Creed! We are bringing the light to them. "

"Yes, we bring the glory of the empire and in return they donate their land and their homes. A very good deal that doesn't hurt the Royal Coffers either, eh?"

Sanchez turned a dark eye towards him. "If you weren't the famous Commander Reynaldo who audaciously captured the last Aztec Island Fortress, one might doubt your loyalty to the crown. If."

"Yes. If. "

Sanchez strode off. Reynaldo stared after him. He had almost pushed it too far, let the edge of sarcasm get the better of him. There were only a few more days before the clipper scouts in the advance fleet sighted the Anklodian east coast. The Maria was in the main assault group and would not arrive until two days after the advance fleet. Reynaldo only had to put up with this man for that long, and then Sanchez would be off raping and pillaging with the marines while Reynaldo resumed full control of his ship. It wasn't pleasant thinking of what Sanchez would do without Reynaldo's restraining influence, but he was comforted by the fact he would not be personally responsible for Sanchez.

Alongside the twelve other Frigates and innumerable galleons, three Ironclads accompanied the Maria. If modern steam-powered Ironclads hadn't been as unstable in open waters as they were, the Maria would not have been able to keep up with them. As it was, they would all arrive together and the first of twenty thousand Spanish marines would land in a surprise attack. Reynaldo suggested that bombardment was unnecessary and might even be counter-productive. Events would later prove this to be true though Sanchez was never one to take limited measures.

The HMS Maria was the Flagship of the Armada, representing the might and glory of Spain. Its commander did not share those ideals. Admiral Sanchez should have taken the ironclad SS Madrid.

Last edited by Captain; February 23, 2002 at 00:39.
Old February 23, 2002, 00:51   #53
Captain
King

Whew! Well, that was a spree of writing for me. I'm tapped out for now...

I've jumped the story ahead by about fifteen years but some of the events take place at the start of the fifteen and some at the end. The museum thing is a far future thing (I don't even know if its an Anklodian museum or some other country's). I can work the Naldo-Elwyn thing into whatever happens, Spanish Invasion or whatever... I'm finding it fun trying to weave all the stories together, so apologies if I'm making a few mistakes on the history here or there. (Let me know, I can always go back and edit my posts.) The Zulu feminist Anita and her daughter come into importance later... I bet some of you can already guess how!

What do you all think? Do you like my contributions or am I hijacking the story? I don't want to be greedy mcgreedgreed here.

Let me know if you want me to post more, less, the same, or not at all! Send me a private message if you don't want to clutter this thread.

Cheers!
Old February 23, 2002, 02:12   #54
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Heh, this is actually turning out to be pretty interesting!

Although I wouldn't say your really hijacking the story, it is all a good read really. I enjoy your postings quite well, and I am glad your taking a great deal of participation in this!

But I'll wait til somebody else posts at least, before I start throwing in my bits, eh?
Old February 23, 2002, 16:14   #55
Grundel
Warlord

wow captain.

I glad someone picked up on the Sanchez Reynaldo string i left open.

Very well done.
Old February 24, 2002, 15:43   #56
Captain
King

thanks. I try to pull a bit of everyone else's stories into my own posts. I appreciate everyone's comments so far.

I wondering why there were so few other contributors until I finally changed from 'light' setting to 'default', there's not a whole lot of people reading this thread...
is it too hard to follow all the parallel storylines?

oh well, I'll probably still keep writing anyways.. it's good practice for me. But again, I'll wait for some other contributors before posting again. so, c'mon people, post up! I'm itching to write the spanish invasion story and the inevitable Reynaldo versus Sanchez duel...

Cheers!

BTW: In less than one hour -> Olympic Hockey Gold Medal Match, Canada vs USA! Go Canucks!
Old February 24, 2002, 15:48   #57
ElDiablo
Chieftain

I'm thinkin of a Indian/Russian line, so leave those two civs to me...
Old February 24, 2002, 19:06   #58
ElDiablo
Chieftain

I have but one thing to say...
CANADA RULES!!!! GO CANADA!!!
Old February 24, 2002, 21:02   #59
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

5-2, for Canada...

Boy, was that ever a slaughtering
Old February 25, 2002, 17:52   #60
Captain
King

Yes! that was a sweet game! Pretty close for most of the game with the Yanks really putting on the pressure in the last period - but a great save by Brodeur kept it 3-2 and then Iginla and Sakic took advantage of slight US slipups to drive home the clinching goals. It had me on the edge of my seat, and what a way to win it! I know I can't claim any credit for it whatsoever, and in the grand scheme of things it's just a game, but it's at times like these I just feels extra great to be Canadian!

Hmmm... that gives me some new ideas for another story...but first, back to Sanchez versus Reynaldo and the spanish invasion...coming soon within the next day or so.

hopefully someone else posts a section too... I'm starting to feel lonely here.

ElDiablo, Russians and Indians are all yours!
Sovy, where are you man? What've you got lined up for us?