Old February 8, 2002, 23:52   #1
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 14:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How Spices were discovered
Recently translated from an ancient tablet. Note the quaint way of telling stories that was used at the dawn of history.

One day some newly-settled people were bored and looking for something new to till. They walked and walked, and suddenly saw a grove of plants, some of which grew brown sticks, others of which grew some small green fruit with small green seeds. And so the people said to themselves:

Maybe this is the "Evil Weed" our shamen told us we shouldn't be smoking. Let's take the brown sticks and snort them up the nose and see what happens! Nothing. Maybe if we pound them into a powder first? Still nothing. Maybe they would be stronger if we put the powder on our tongues! Yummmm Sweet It would be a sin, mun, if we didn't grow this. Let's call it cinnamon.

Ok, what about this small green fruit. It looks just the kind of harmlessly sweet thing that would go well with the cinnamon. I'll just pop one in my mouth. Haaaah! Laaaah! Pain, Oh, the pain! Hot! Hot! I think we should instead chop this jalapeño into little pieces to put with our gruel.

Let's take it to the cave and show the Despot! Do you think anyone would be interested in giving us something for this? Maybe they'll give us something in return so we don't have tuh raid them. So we'll call it tuh-rade to remind them about what we won't have tuh do to tuh them if they co-operate.