Old February 9, 2002, 07:08   #1
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Local Time: 14:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Foundations of Drakon
Well, guess I am a new guy on these boards, and what better way to introduce myself then by putting up a story! I know SOMETHING is wrong with it when you get to the end. Not too sure what you can call it, but it just seems to drag out for me... Oh well, hopefully you can enjoy this. Inspired from a Civ III game I played on a real world map, in the France region for my beginning. So far, its all sticking to the game I am currently playing. First game for placing on the Warlord difficulty!

Here is the story, critique, flame, whatnot. At least I would get back some feedback.

A dream came to me in the night. I was just a young pup back then, living in remnents of deep underground caverns of the mountains and hills. I didn't precisely knew what this city was, for it was all foreign to me. Maybe it was the story my grandparents told me about, how they were told when they were young about great structures of magnificance, carved from stone in bricks, wood, sweat, and blood. How there were trails between these hollowed out structures, but made of stone and rocks, and plasted together with hardened mud. But before me, even though I never knew it back then, was the city, with many of my race walking down the streets, laughing, playing, talking amongst one other. But it all looked different from how my grandparents described it... Something awkward, something strongly not right with the picture held before me... But the city vanished before me, as I was shakened awake by my younger sister.

But in that dream, I knew it was our promised land... Out there, somewhere, where we will all live in one day.

"T..Teryo?" I said, looking up from the furred covers of my blanket, in a chamber where the walls were of brown and black rock and dirt. It was our home, in these underground caves. Its what kept us safe for so many generations.

"Scy, come quick! Daddy is ill!" said the younger one, tugging at my arm to awaken me from the peaceful dream of our Promised Land. She was wearing only a loin cloth, and her eyebrows were twisted in a state of worry and panic.

We are the Drakonians. Or so we call ourselves. Now, for those not too familiar with Drakonians, let me explain them to you.

We, the Drakonians, are a magnificant race of dragons, once pushed into the depths of the mines when the elements outside of this cave turned to freezing cold. The birds died. The plants died. Animals starved to death, and we nearly did as well. But we planned ahead. It was just coincidence that we were in mid construction of a deep underground mine in the nearby hills and mountains, when the cold came. Winter came, and never ended for many months. Then years. Then decades. And generations passed by, with the outside freezing every living being as it did many, many years ago. The only source of food was in the underground rivers which hosted to many types and numerous amounts of fish.

But enough explaining about our past, and back to describing ourselves. We are creatures with scales and wings. All of which have the aforementioned, save for a very few deformations, as well as tails. We walk on two feet, and have two arms, with claws. Now, this might coax you to remember your humanly fabled dragons, which we are very much related to. Or, perhaps the shortest way of explaining it, is that we are anthropomorphic dragons. As of that, the males and females of each species are similer to each other, where the females lack breasts to feed the young ones, unlike humans, as well as Drakonian females tend to be a bit more musculine than that of female humans. The colour of our scales vary. With Teryo, she has a maroon colour. As of mine, a deep, dark purple like colour, which could be easily mistaken for black.

Teryo, my younger sister by 130 years about, was holding my arm while we both quickly walked down the long hallways of this partially lit cave. The caves were kept lit by bits of wood, and candles down the hallway. In order to conserve the amount of lightable objects, we have spaced them so at each corner of the hallways, a door way, there is a candle lit.

We just followed the light, but it was the light to our destiny...

I was still in my groggy sleep when I finally reached my fathers bedroom. Teryo ran to our fathers side, and slumped down beside him. My father was laying down on the bits of padded grass, and covered up in a thick brown fur blanket, which overed his entire body, save for his deep blood-red scaled head. On the other side of the bed, was our doctor. He simply wore a loin cloth over his orangish scales as well, but also a vest around his chest. He keeps some of his herbs, healing waters, pastes and medical instruments in his vest, which makes him stand out a bit more with the added utensils sticking out like large mumps.

I walked over to the doctor, who had his arms across his chest, looking down at my father, while my father was in mid concious.

"Do you know what ails him?" I asked the doctor, who kept his gaze down at my father, an anxious look in his eyes. I knew what the end resault will be with my father soon, just from those eyes he had. He looked towards me, after a moment in deep thought, thinking to himself on how to reply to my answer...

Or how he should explain this to the whole tribe...

"He has multiple bruises, as well as some broken bones. Many cuts are all over him... I believe he was attacked by a predator. He was found at the summit, after flying with what strength back home," was the doctors final analysis of the situation dropped onto him. I knew there we something else, and my eyes peirced at him. I knew he was hiding something, but was not comfortable with telling anybody. Except for me...

"He said," the doctor began to open his maw, letting his tounge find the proper Drakonian words to what he was about to say.

"He said that he has found our promised land," sighed out the doctor, finishing up his report. I looked back at my father, who was breathing heavily, muttering out a few undescrible and inaudible words. I knew what he found. It came to me in a dream...

I began to walk out of the room, Teryo wiping a damp cloth over her soon to be deceased father.

"Young Scy, what should I tell the tribe? I do not believe your father will survive this attack for much longer," asked the doctor, as I nearly left the room, my mind racing with the same thought as well. What should we tell the rest of the tribe? Who will lead us now, that my father will soon be dead? And what about this promised land he found?

I stopped at the doorway, finding the answer that resided deeply at the back of my mind, since my dream which Teryo pulled me out of.

"Tell them... We have found our 'Promised Land'"

Chapter 2.

Three weeks after my fathers death. The caves in the lower levels were dead quiet. The last few candles still burning out their fuel, which was normally supplied to them. But it is no longer a normal time, for our species. The upper levels, and the summit were in mass chaos, as hundreds of Drakonians were packing, and preparing, on their trek to our land, our promised land. The dream still burnt deeply into my mind, on how I was going to lead our people for the next 3000 years of my natural life time. Drakonians usually only live to about 4000 years old, before dying out eventually from natural causes. And I was but a mere 157 years old. Rather young to our species, still.

"Are the preparations complete?" I questioned my advisors. I was at the summit, where many were crowded, except I was inside of a tent, with the room of my own privacy, with my advisors. They were aging, and growing old, and were much older than myself. Although, save for the science advisor, none of them were the original ones that were assigned to my father while he led our people. I looked to the science advisor, now turning 3897 years old. The old coot still had much in him, and could probably live for an additional 400 years, I must say. He was the first to report.

"We have plotted a trail down to our new homeland. Although, we have to head out further than expected," said the old drakon. His staff to aid him in walking is on the makeshift table infront of him. His claws press down on the table, to hold him up.

I looked to the light blue and white scaled domestic advisor now. Although, she looks only a mere 1000 years old compared to many of the females, her true age is 1879 years of age.

"We have gathered what meats we could, and skins. We have enough supplies to survive the original plotted trek, but I believe we will run short for the week left of walking, now proposed by the science advisor," she stated, her tail behind her moving around in agitation, in jerking movements. When she was younger, a rock from the ceiling fell down, and crushed her tail, resaulting in her slightly awkward movements.

The old lizard defended his statement quickly, "Rakoth, scouts have just returned saying that they have found a river, with an abundent amount of fish in reserve for our people to feast on."

The domestic advisor looked at the ancient one, and finally recalculated what food we have left.

"We should have enough food and water if we rationize, although I do hope the scouts found berry patches, or wildlife to hunt, to extend our stockpile."

I nodded to Rakoth, and turned my head towards the defense minister, Kraken.

"We are travelling in a large group. Predators would not dare attack our travel group," he stated to me, his golden slitted eyes peirced their way to mine. I knew he was a busy man, and enjoyed doing work, rather than just standing here. He is to help me to make sure our people survive their travels to the new world. I never believed just how important he could turn out to be.

"Now, onto our new capitals name," I said. There were only three advisors for me to listen to for now, and only those vital three are present with me.

Kraken quickly excused himself, and I allowed him to. I knew what he does best is to supervise my people. And the crashing and splintering of wood I just heard outside of this fur tent were definately not something I liked to hear, and letting Kraken deal with it may be the wisest of actions.

"I propose," the Science Minister began to say, before coughing, and hunching his back as he bent over. He regained his breath, and stood back straight up, as best as he could. His maroon eyes gazed back at me, while he opened his mouth, which is filled with rather sharp incisors, much like any generic Drakon.

"Drakonia will be our capitals name," he said, speaking the name out in the highly accented Drakonian language we all have learnt, and are speaking.

"Let that be her name... Let us end this meeting, and end our night at the base of this mountain," I said to the remaining two bodies in the room, before pulling myself back from the now obsolete table infront of me. The crudely made map in the center of it marked our train, as well as the new, extended trail the science advisor stated.

For now though, this was probably the hardest step for my people.

The creation of our civilization.

Chapter 3

"I hear water!" screamed out one individual near, or most likely, at the front of the long line of Drakonian bodies, as it snaked itself around trees, shrubs, and large rocks and boulders. I looked up from the ground I was staring at. I was near the back, and behind me were several Drakonians pulling a wheelless cart, with several ill and elderly people on it. The Science advisor was on it, after he had fallen down on the trip down the mountain. Finally, on our 20th day of our march, where people were about to lose hope in our mission to our once stated Promised Land, that my Father had found. Actually, we have been in our green and yellowish lands for several days now, where life was returning. More animals, plants, berries, trees. Everything was alive and growing in some way. I smirked somewhat as a butterfly landed on the horn of the person ahead of me, and just rested there.

Everything was growing, being reborn. Our planet was once again alive once more, from the many generations of coldness that swept over it like a plague. The cure found, life was returning again.

And so was the sprouting of the Drakonian civilization.

"Scy!" one cried out, from upahead of me. I turned my head to face the one waving me down. Just from the voice, I easily guessed who it was that was waving me down. My younger sister, Teryo.

"We found it Scy! We did! We finally reached our new home!" she cried out, while running to me, and hugging me in excitement. I smiled at my younger sister. She was just a mere 12 years old. Although our lives do last a long time, our full physical maturity is reached at an astonishing young age of 34 usually.

I kneeled down, so I was face to face with her.

"Yes, we are finally at our new home," I said to her, before kissing her on the forehead. The maid up ahead was calling for Teryo to come back and get into line with the others. She ran back, although a bit more reluctantly than when she found me.

"Our new home... At last..." I thought to myself, looking towards the valley that was filled with rushing water. The birds in the green leaf filled trees nearby chirped happily. Everybodies hopes were rising, as we drew closer to the river which will quench the thirst of my people, and power our new nation to heights never achieved before. Before the wretched cold had swept our lands, and made our people go into hiding. We were slowly dying in those caves. Not by numbers, but in spirit and morale. Now, we have a purpose.

Our new purpose is to spread our people across these lands, and to populate with our given birth right over this planet.

And so I stopped, and stared near the river bank. Some kids ran into the waters, making it go all over themselves and their clothes. Many leaping and wading around in the water, and quickly rushing out from the coldness. But treaded back in, and getting used to the change in temperature. The final picture over our victory against the planet, when the planet tried to kill us off with the long, long winter. We have been pushed back from the cold, and now survived it. The reward is now the planet to my race.

Drakonia is now formed.
Old February 9, 2002, 07:08   #2
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Chapter 4.

Several dozen mud made huts were built to house the hundreds of people I had originally brought down the mountain, from our caves. Much of those dark mines were forgotten, as workers were happly creating new buildings, for the new people coming into our town.

Trees were chopped down, and a docks were formed, with small fishing boats to aid in the fishing of fish in this rapid-like river. It flowed outward, towards the nearby sea that my scouts have found out.

It was just 1 year ago that Drakonia was formed. A mere year, and already there are 40 hatchlings and pups in our fair village.

"Scy, sir, where should the first order of our Drakonian Worker Force be given?" A familiar voice asked of me. It was Kraken, and turned around from the window which I was staring out of. It was a just a mere, natural cave, but it was decided that this place should be the palace of our city. I put my claws down onto a desk made of mud bricks, and leaned forward, staring down at the map of the known territory around my fair city. The green paint marked fertile lands. It was also marked with different kinds of dots symbolizing vital resources. Such as the nearby grains to give us the foods we need to survive. And the cows, that gave our people fur to cover themselves in.

I also knew it was nearly winter, and our winter stockpile is filled with foods, timber, water, and tools. I didn't realize it until now how much easier it is to survive out here, where the animals are much more plentiful.

But I dropped my mind from the scene, and pointed a single finger towards a location to the north west of our city. It was where most of our workers are laboring on the fields, to gather crops, and to stockpile our people through this winter.

"Here is where we should begin a road network," I said, sketching a small mark between the grain fields, to our city. It tore easily through the map, but there were many copies posted all over the village.

"Road network? I know it may be easier to ship in supplies then, but I don't bel-" started Kraken. I knew he was worried about our work force, and I would have normally congratulated on his observations.

But I had a different idea.

"We will begin forming a settler unit to settle these lands," as I pointed off the map, towards the darkened areas of uncharted territory.

Kraken looked at me shocked. He should be. I had high hopes for my people, believing that they should expand, and dominate the lands. The lands around here, and the whole world eventually. Our numbers will grow now.

Kraken looked at me slightly dumbfounded, his jaw hanging down slightly, and his teeth were visible. He quickly regained himself from my proposal, and made his counter proposal to me.

"I support you in making sure our species are to survive, but I urge you to begin forming a militia. If not for the very least of exploration, but to aid in defending our lands," he requested. Now was my turn to be dumbfounded. My wings shuffled on my back, as I stood back up, and thought for a moment on his proposal.

"We need time to let our people grow still, so I will take your suggestion, and begin forming a militia unit," I replied. I suddenly was intrigued at the thought of a military unit to defend our lands.

Kraken nodded, and turned away, preparing to give the orders on the training and recruitment of the Drakonian defence and exploration group. At least it will give my people time to grow, so a real settler unit can be created. But my idea still rests on creating a road network on our soon to be city. I'll name it Xen, our holy city where the first born will live.

I sat back, down, letting my tail rest alongst the ground as I seated myself on a stump. I put my elbows on to rest ontop of the table, while thinking to myself on how to expand our territory. You have to start somewhere if you want your people to be the rulers of the world.

Chapter 5.

"Lord Scy! We have spotted a horde of beings approaching to us through the south!" reported one young liuetenent, to the new Emperor Scy.

"Lord... Scy..." thought the new holy ruler, to himself. He can only wish to live up to such a title, that his people have given him. It has been a mere 200 years into his rule, and trouble that threatens the very life of the Drakonian people. His group of workers he has assigned decades ago finally completed another section of the trade route. The route is expected to go down a coast, and finally to the holy city of Xen. Our first born.

"Where is our militia forces presently positioned?" I replied. I knew our only bit of defense we have is out exploring in the outer reaches of this continent. Somewhere to the north I assigned them, I believe. On recon duty for locating a new site for our third city to flourish.

Perhaps I was planning too far ahead, but what matters is whats happening now. It threatens our very existence. It is something which I refuse to risk now.

"Send a scout to inform our battle militia. They are to return to Drakonia immediately," I stated firmly to the liuetenent. Such an eager young one. But what suprised me was that he was merely around my age. I wonder how he will fair under combat. He nodded to me, and began to turn around on his leave.

"Liuetenent..." I asked, getting his attention once more.

"Yes sir?" he replied. His head cocked a bit to the side, while blinking, and awaiting further instructions.

"Recall the worker group. I have a hunch that that horde is after them," was my second, and last order.

He simply nodded, and proceeded out of my cave.

I twisted my back to gaze at the drawings, and markings on the wall. It was our history in pictures. Painted warriors herding cattle, scrounging for berries and roots. It had nothing to do with our past before Drakonia was formed.

I laid my eyes back down at the incomplete scripture of the Drakon Bible. Our god Xeneth gave light to the universe. And this is where I place our peoples history. Many have contributed to this project, by adding their tales of their family history. I pulled on the feather quill, that came from a bird in the sky, out of its dark dish of a black paste. I began to write about the stories I heard today.

The bible, although incomplete, had the introduction to it done. I'll get many people to write copies of this book, and to spread it around our village, and the town of Xen that will form within the next 100 years.

Xeneth created our universe, and throughout that universe, he placed small settlements of a race similer to himself throughout the whole packet of the universe, of his discretion. He eventually found this place in the whole of the universe, and molded a race that looked similer to himself. We thrived for a short while, before the planet rejected our arrival, and turned itself into a freezing landscape, in a way to test our abilities to stand against any known obstacle in our path. Only after surviving for so long, has our planet finally gave way, and for reward of our victory, we were given this planet to expand ourselves on.

Many life lessons are written in this book.

Chapter 6.

I was quietly awaked up in the dead of the night. It felt so familiar to the many years before, as a claw was shaking my shoulder roughly. I shoved the arm away, and rolled over to my back.

A whisper, a hoarse whisper, broke the silence of the night.

"Scy, Lord Scy. Awaken now, a matter of great importance is needed to be discussed!" said a voice. I easily remembered it as Luietenent Drath's voice, from those many years ago. Has only been a few short years, but he has proven himself worthy enough to lead our forces, instead of Kraken. Kraken, although a strategist, lacks the strength or real experience to participate in leading and organizing battles. Although, that does not mean he still doesn't hold a trick or two in that 3000 year old mind of his.

"Wh.. What is it?" I stammered, amid the confusion of such a meeting, at such a time. I was about to suggest to my, now General Drath, about meeting me at a more appropriate time.

"We have found a ship, into the seas north of us... There are beings unlike our own! The only close resemblence I have seen of these new beings was the horde that attacked us many years ago," he said, his voice rising as he starts to lose his place in the new events that have just been unfolded upon me like a ton of bricks. It took me a moment to comprehend, as I began to shuffle upwards, and placed on my garmets, which were hanging on a wooden rack.

"Have they attacked?" I questioned the general, while tighting, and buckling my belt.

"No, they havn't. I have several of my men keeping them until I got orders from you on what to do with them," he stated.

I knew something wasn't right. I heard many of these beings. They are peculier creatures. Although, we can't understand their high pitched speech, and their fickleness, they still prove a threat to me, somehow. In someway.

"I have never had a chance to see these creatures up close... Infact, I have never seen them at all," I said, as I began to walk out of the embowels of my cave. My feet stepped on the dirt padded walkway, through the lawn that has setted up around my palace. It was a gift from my people, and was done in short time. While I was away from Drakonia, and overlooking the final survey of the new home of the First Born, our city of Xen.

I took to the air, followed quickly by my general, who leaded infront of me. Following him, for what must have been at least an hour, we have finally landed down, in a green and wet pasture. Another winter has come and gone, and the snow was turned into slush, and slush into mud. But ignored that minor inconvenience for now. My nostrils were filled with the smell of the nearby sea, and I saw a small hut, with smoke burrowing out of it. The general didn't need to tell me where our guests are locked up, as I began to move towards the hut.

"L-Lord Scy! It is an honour to grace us with your presence!" said one of the two guards stationed outside the hut, but both took a knee and bowed their heads. I beckoned them back up, for it was a useless gesture, amidst its consideracy. I stepped into the hut, the door made of a flimsy fur door, which only served for a bit of privacy from prying eyes. Not that many drakonians were around here anyway.

I saw, for the first time, this being. All three of them were seated on a large stump. Most likely the mass ontop of that stump was chopped down many years ago, though.

Two guardsmen were on each side of these unexpected guests of mine were stationed, their armour glistened from the nearby candles setted up on the walls of this hut.

All three of these beings looked at my direction. They began to yip back to one another, sounding much like young pups in a bickering contest. But I wasn't here to hear any yapping between these lost souls. I wanted information from them, but with such a difficult language barrier between one another, I doubt I could gather any information until our doctor and scientists back in Drakonia teach these inferior things how to speak our language. And thats if they can comprehend any of it.

Those feeble eyes, and soft skin, what hope does this species have of overpowering my people? That disgusting hair on their head, and eyes, and their unnatural face. Never have I seen an animal without even the smallest of snouts or tails. These beings are so abnormal... Could this very planet have created these beings, trying to put us through another test of endurance? An endurance of coping with another species such as this?

I shooked my head in disbelief, shifting myself around to walk back out, my tail snaking around in the air as I turned. Those cretins... I'll have to call them humans. Yes, thats their name... Humans...
Old February 10, 2002, 00:03   #3
ElDiablo
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:22
Great story so far...
When's the rest coming?
Old February 10, 2002, 05:00   #4
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

The rest?

Hmmm... Wasn't really expecting to continue on with this story. Still playing this game. Invading the vile humans in the middle east, the Zulu's. The campaign went without a hitch, and I took all of his cities save for one, which I will take as soon as I rebuilt up my forces again.

I also control all of europe, so I got a continental bonus there

But Rome built the Great Lighthouse, when I had just ONE more turn left to go with my version of the Great Lighthouse. Kinda sucked, but I was lucky enough to be able to switch it over to the production of the Great Wall.

Anyways, I might end this segment of the story, and focus it from another viewpoint, like from a peasant, on one side or the other.
Old February 16, 2002, 03:39   #5
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Here is a new story I am working on... Hope you guys like it!

Ibabanago.

Yes, thats right, that was the name of our destination. Against the wonderful city of Ibabanago. I can't even pronounce it, that its so stupid sounding. Thats what happens when your trying to conquer stupid people. They get rash, and make up stupid names for their silly towns. Anyways, as ordered by the old, old Emperor Scy, who was transitionally getting replaced by his 124 year old daughter, Syn Kurosei, I was sent to take the town of Ibabanago. It was on the unknown, and mostly unexplored wild lands of the Afrika continent. In your humanly modern terms, the Ibabanago city was located thousands of miles down the Nile. Not at the end of it, but pretty dang close to it. I trust you that you won't laugh too hard at all the blunder ups that myself, my subordinates, and yes, even my superiors have done in this campaign to tame the ever threatening Zulu's. Thats what Emperor Scy said at least. Not too sure how 3000 people can be threatening to our world. Sure, they got through our defenses the first time in their trek into Afrika.

My name is Lukas. Let me start in the beginning though...

We are the Drakonians, if you havn't heard about us before, I'll explain briefly. We are anthropomorphic dragons. Which means we are a hybrid look alike to you humans, and the European style dragons in your modern culture. We stand on two legs, have scales, wings, and a tail. We used to dress up in loin cloth, but that fashion changed to pants and a vest, or some other shirt, or no shirt at all. The females of our kind have no breasts, unlike your human females, as well as our females are much more musculine compared to human females.

About 600 or 700 some years ago, my father was sent on a trek to rid the world of the Zulu's. They had their lands stretching across barren landscape, and we could not stand for that, thats for sure...

Ah, yes, lets leave the sweet world of the European provinces, and head on south east to go over many kilometres of mountains, and sand...

We were fighting for sand, sand, and more sand. We lost blood, because of this sand. Emperor Scy, of course, said that this place will be the powerhouse of our empire one day. Bah, better be right. Got sand in my boots right now, and sand in the scales is not a very good thing.

Betchyas 10 gold coins that the Zulu's were just as confused as we were!

They musta been, "What the heck are you doing here! We are just sand and mountains! We have no value whatsoever you idiots!"

And Emperor Scy musta told them, "Yeah! You got mountains and sand that we DON'T HAVE, so give it up, you humans!"

Anyways, back to the story. After hundreds of years of fighting amongst our nations...

Wait, wait, back her up a bit, what fighting? You mean the few catapult volleys we launched, the two cities we overtook within 3 days apart? They had no defense! Bah, they were strong, but had no defense. Then their very last city took us 6 units to get rid of! 6!

But back on track. We fought, and we fought, and we thought this war would be over when we overtook the Zulu capital. But noooooooo.... Emperor Scy said, ''Wait! They got more sand that we DON'T have! SWORDSMEN, AWAY!! MWAHAHAHAH!!''

Oh well, at least it gave me something to do. Plus, all that sand would most likely goto waste. But because of our actions, glass prices went down by 87%! Now it sells 15 KG's of glass at 2 gold coins each! My Gazebo back in Xen will finally be completed! After this story, I'll have to order up one...

So, this is where I finally come in. Yes, my time of invading, and taking Ibabanago, and the sister city Isipezi.
Old February 16, 2002, 03:40   #6
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Part 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright troops," I spoked up, to the new recruits of swordsmen that was just recently placed under my disposal. Green as leaves and seaweed. I know I have my paycheck cut out for me. I was more worried about one of these goofs putting a sword or polearm through me than the pitiful Zulu forces stationed in Ibabanago. At that time, I didn't know what our target was. Heck, I just heard the Zulu capital was taken, and these new recruits were completely unnecessary.

"I have to be out here... To teach you oafs a lesson on how to actually play with sharp objects! If you have any complaints, or are just too stupid to understand the words that are coming out of my mouth," at that time, pointing both of my fingers at my mouth. Although it was maximized sarcasm, it got everybodies attention quite quickly. I continued on.

"Then you can take your walk out on drop out lane, and don't bother wasting your time, crying to me about mommy. This is the army! Not the navy, not some scout groups. We are paid to die, and I am here to make sure you DON'T die," I pressured on. Pointing towards a lane that marked the way out respectfully. It was dropout lane, because it is the only way out for people who want out, and to keep out. There is also another road leading out, but that is ment for soldiers or officers on leave, or are leading out the greenbacks on their first missions.

Nobody budged. Infact, a few gave off a scalie grin as I paced back and forth ontop of the padded down giant dirt square we were in. It was the parade square, where we done drill, marching, and practicing with weapons. Ah, the days ago that I heard of our people using sharp pointy sticks to defend themselves. Now, we have a really sharp and pointy bronze and iron clad sword that we can use!

"If you can't take the pressure of your comrades dying on the field beside you, leave. If you can't take the pressure of defending your country, hundreds, and perhaps thousands of miles away, then leave. If you can't take the pressure of not being able to get your grannies homemade steakbits, then for Xen's sake, leave!" I commended forward, now my pacing turned into a standstill, with my claws on my hips. I eyed down each and every soldier that day. I knew a third of them really wanted to leave, but didn't have the balls to say it. I don't want my boys to die because of the pressure on the battlefield. Thats how people die, they freeze, or snap, and attack their friends and foes alike. I was thankful I didn't see that much combat, save for the riots that sprung up near our capital over our town being overcrowded. Even then, that doesn't warrent for the chaos that many veterns experienced on the battlefield, day in, and day out. At least they gave me a teaching position. Never thought that would change. Boy, was I ever wrong...

"Dismiss!" growled out my subordinate, corporal Krak. I was already walking off the parade square, towards the officers mess tent. Going to get me some grub. Yes, usually the menu changes every week. This week its pork with some veggies. As I should tell you, Drakonians are omnivores, but rely on alot of their diet on meat products. Much like how you humans can rely mainly on veggies, we can rely mainly on meats. But vegetables were pretty cheap to make and produce. Just hate the colour... Green. But more green than the recruits I got, thankfully. Fresh green beans and peas, from the local market in the town of Persepolis. One of the first few cities my ancestors took over, long ago. Now, no humans, or more precise, very few humans tred along the streets now, and usually its the travellers walking through to get supplies at the market. Although, I did meet a few humans here and there. Nice folks when you meet them, although it is a bit humourous on how they talk in our Drakonian language. Gotta give them credit though, at least they can talk in Drakonian, and understand us. Should take up studies in one of the human languages... Maybe Persian, or Roman. Or I might was well not bother, since the Persians and Romans are working with the minority nations on producing a universal human langauge. Wish they would just accept the fact that Drakonian is in, and whatever their human languages were out.

I sat down on a wooden stool, after stocking up on my wooden bowl with a large chunk of pig meat, and green vegatales in some sort of brownish broth.

"Sargent Lukas," said a voice behind me. I knew it was one of my superiors. Voice is too deep to be my peers, nor would any of the new recruits, or younger junior officers approach me with that title.

I swollowed the half eaten pork meat I was busy chewing on, and turned my bulky body around on the stool. I can always get another peice of pork later on, and saviour its taste.

It was vice captain Szilith. I looked up at him, and his dark maroon scales, as he peered down at my white scales, that made me stand out like a sore thumb. Everybody had either black, or dark red, or dark purple, or blue. Or some colour, except for white. And no, not pink. Pink is for humans. Very rarely do I see any other drakonians that had white scales. But a rarity that is not so treasured amongst my people. Work has to be done, and the colour of your scales don't really matter. So I just take such compliments with a grain of salt. But this time, there were no compliments I was to recieve. Already a few days into the usual routine of training my new recruits, and I get some orders? Don't they know that changing officers that is teaching 100's of students is not a good thing? But if they wanted me out, they better have a damn good reason for it.

"You already know me as vice captain Szilith, so the introductories of ourselves can be cut short," he said. Rather highly pitched for a drakonian, but I already overlooked my superiors profile. I just realized I had a thick stubby black metal spoon in my hand, so I quickly turned myself halfway around, and deposited the spoon in my green bean and pea broth. I stood back up. It was the only thing I could do for my superior.

"Currently, you have recieved new orders from Headquarter Command in Drakonia. Your being reassigned off this base. Follow me, and we can get you quickly briefed, and sent out," he said to me. His voice dropped down somewhat, as to make sure nobody took in any great notice in this unexpected discussion. He stepped back, and pointed his arm out of the mess tent, towards a more permament and stable building. I began to walk forward, to my new location. It was the secondary office. The main office was used to question and recruit potential new reqruits. It was always in a mess. But I have rarely been to the secondary office, save for twice. Once to be briefed on the new war we were about to get ourselves into with the Zulu's, and the time when 3 of our not-so-original Drakonian cities went into revolt. It was started by a group of underground humans. From that day on, we were forced to expel humans to new locations across our empire. Our capital is teaming with many colonies of humans set into our grand city. Although it is peaceful now, I worry about the external human threat on the otherside of this known continent.

I entered the dark and cooled building, like the few times I did before. Szilith closed the door behind me, as I waited for him to step ahead, and lead me to which room I shall get briefed in. He stepped ahead of me, between the narrow hallways and me, there wasn't exactly much room. But he got by me with minimal effort. I disliked how narrow these hallways were. But I guess it helps if somebody is caught sneaking in, and you have to take them down.

"Lukas," said Szilith, his tounge flickering out the Drakonian words to my name, "This will be your room until the captain sees you. He should be around in a few minutes," he said, opening the fragile wooden door. You basically pushed it open, and pushed it closed. He held the door open for me as I stepped through it, my eyes wandering across the room, and scanning the contents within. I counted three stools, around a rectangle wooden table. Two stools on one side, the last one on the otherside. I took the assumption I was the only person that was to be briefed, so I sat down on the lone stool. Which was also coincidently nearest to me. The room was a dark one when Szilith closed the door behind me, shutting off all the light entering the room. Save for a few small holes in the walls, there wasn't much light to actively see anything.

But the door opened minutes later, just like the prophisized comment Szilith made before throwing me into this darkened room. Two Drakonians entered, a larger, but chubbier one, followed by the smaller, maroon scaled Szilith. A lamp was held in the larger drakonian, who I easily guessed, and proved correct by closer examination, that it was our green scaled captain. Captain Ryuu was his name. Although, this was probably the first time he actively briefed me, and only me. Both the vice captain, and captain, were just wearing the usual military wear of dark, nearly black pants and vest.

"Sargent Lukas, correct?" questioned the large, green scaled one, as he set the lamp down on the table. It easily lit the room well enough to read a properly written report, if you pressed it close enough to the lamp. But I doubt I'll have many reports to sign now.

"Yes sir, that is my rank and name" I replied to the captain, as he and his subordinate Szilith sat down on the two chairs opposite of me. I had this funny feeling that the next day I won't be in Persepolis anymore...

"Your being reassigned to an active task force," started the captain, he claws were locked together on the table, and he looked down at them. He must be at least 3500 years old, the old chump. His eyes were droopy, and scales seem slightly wrinkled from age. One of the few who remembered our good kings days, and probably was around to see the destruction of the Egyptian Empire. Probably lead the task force against the Egyptians to, for all I know.

But he continued on, and the news I heard was disheartening.

"The task force is currently down the Nile river, approaching the city of Ibabana-glock!" He sputtered out at the end, as he attempted to pronounce the name of the Zulu village most likely. At first I thought we were sent their to keep an eye on the Zulu's, and make sure they don't expand too quickly.

"Ai-ba-banana, err... Eye-babonanano, no, wait, thats night right," said the captain once more, as he turned to face Szilith to pronounce the town correctly. Szilith attempts were just as amusing.

"I believe it is pronounced like Abe-Anango-bah," Szilith attempted to say. I could only smirk as these two drakonians tried to sound out the rather complicated name for the city which I am to patrol.

"Dammit man, you know what I mean by!" the captain snorted to me, his fist banging on the table in an effort to pound whatever they wanted into me. I knew which city they were talking about, since it was the new, new, NEW Zulu Capital.

"Yes sir, I do know which city you are refering to," I said. I dare not try to press my luck by tempting ignorance. Although, it was tempting.

"Yes, well," began the green one once more, "We have just recieved word that the group is in shambles, as several commanders of the army's are being recalled back home. We are placing a number of new commanders on the field to lead our troops to victory. The recall began when we discovered that many of the commanders are extremely aged, as well are suffering some disorders. We have been replacing them soon after the first Drakon-Zulu war."

I knew I got some more experienced soldiers on my hands now, and most likely have seen more combat than I have. Which sorta confused me as to why they wanted me to take charge of them. I am pretty sure they would rather have a teacher teaching, and a warrior fighting, and an experienced warrior leading. But I decided not to question my new assignment. Guess that gazebo has to wait in Xen.

"Thus, your new orders are to take over the 4th detachment of Swordsmen. They are already approaching the outskirts of..." The captain pressed on. I knew the city he was referring to, so a simple pause was all that was needed.

But why was I being sent to the front lines? And who was to replace me and to teach these new recruits on how to fight, and NOT get themselves killed?

And how annoyed is the kitchen staff at me for leaving behind my bowl of broth?
Old February 21, 2002, 12:49   #7
godinex
Prince

great! continue....
Old February 21, 2002, 16:49   #8
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

LOL, the game got messed up with the patch, but I can recall enough of it to probably finish this story... Hehehe... Me and my Drakonians...
Old February 23, 2002, 04:14   #9
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

http://kurosei.tripod.com/drakkens.gif

Thats the piccie of two Drakon soldiers herding a human priest along...

Hehehe, interesting stuff, no? Drew it myself, but it still doesn't look all that right...