Old February 9, 2002, 16:37   #1
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 20:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What should be in the next patch? (Realistic Ideas Only)
here is what I think should be in the patch:

1) Ability to turn off 'auto wake-up unit'. This is important, because the game will wake up units in ridiculous order, so the screen just keeps jumping all over the place.
2) Ability to move stacks of units. This is important because if you have 50 tanks you wish to send across the continent to attack the other guy, you move only once instead of 50 times!!!!!!
3) The option to not see the workers at all. Just let them do the work, I don't wanna see them. Maybe hitting the W key will make them re-appear on the map. Of course, you should know where enemyworkers are, so yu can capture them.
4) Ability to give the same order to multiple units instead of individual units. For example, let me automate all my workers at once. (and they are out of sight). As it is right now, I have 180 workers, I gotta circle through all of them, and click 180 times (worst case) to automate them all. You should also be able to tell all your calvary to go to the same city and disband them all. etc.
5) expand the capability of the editor. Example: why is the range for air units limited to 8? (yeah, I know, that makes it a 3 bit number, so it'll save some memory, com'on, give it 2 extra bits, and make the range 32!!!)
NOTE: this is just one example of how limited the editor is. Its capability needs to be greatly expanded.
6) The rail road should give movement bonus, but not infinite move. The RR is too damn overpowered.
7) The corruption is ridiculous. Give the option to turn it down.
8) There should be naval port and airfield in the game.
(This is feature request, i'm not being realistic here)
9) Tune up the AI a bit, would you? Why is the freakin English asking me for Gems, Insense, Wine, Computers and Rocketry and 500 Gold for their freakin 1 silk luxury? When you are dealing with the AI, and you try to offer a little more, for example, he agree to trade map with you, and you give them another 50 gold. And he refuse. WHAT????

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old February 9, 2002, 16:48   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
For the editor:

- Flat map support
- Events language (or something similar)
- Ability to pre-place cities/units freely on the map to create scenarios
- Ability to edit those pre-placed cities (size, improvements etc.) and units (e.g fortified or not)
- Ability to edit start locations

And lots of things I can´t remember...
Old February 9, 2002, 17:04   #3
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
Corruption model tweaked.
Lower distance modfier, and make num. of cities modifier more important.

Some units rebalanced.
Sink ships with bombers.
Allow Cr. missles to bombard 1hp units. Increase firepower also.

Increse movement of naval & range of air units depending of map size.

Make bombing more effecitve against units (instead of buildings and tiles).

Tweak retreat.
No reteat for walled or 7+ pop cities.

Fix unit obsolence problem.

Make abundance of resources an option in start menu.
Same for corruption.
(I know you can tweak this in editor, but why not to have an start game option)
Old February 9, 2002, 17:58   #4
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 21:23
Focusing on the editor,
I would like:

A zoom capability, and a minimap, to get an overview of the newly created map.

The ability to add Ages.

A handy tech tree editor, where I can move techs around in a simplistic fashion, which is then "rendered" into a tech tree for that particular age.

The option to alter start and end date for the game, and the ability to change the year increments. Needless to say this is pretty crucial for modmakers doing historical campaigns et cetera. Myself for instance would like to start the game at 6000 BC, in a detailed Stone Age that I'd create myself of course.

A simple command generator that would allow modders to create behaviours not already in the game. Let's take an amphibious vessel for instance, which is both a land and sea unit; it can't be made unless the modder can check both options. 'Tis not a good example, but still :-)

For the game itself:
Tweak the Army and Colony concepts so it's actually a good idea for the player to use them.

Bring back Glacier and Swamp tiles, with the map AI to place them correctly on maps. Swamp could function as "cold jungles", if that's how the map AI thinks. And glacier would be the tundra tiles closest to the poles.

If these enhancements are made, I'm confident the game will last (and sell) for years to come.

Last edited by MonsterMan; February 9, 2002 at 18:04.
Old February 9, 2002, 18:11   #5
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
Some are not realisitc
I think the idea of allowing air ranges greater than 8, and turning of auto-awake are feasible. MOst changes asked for by most posters are either radical, and significant changes to the editor are radical, or gaming decisions, like RR's, that won't be implemented. As for stacked movement, perhaps that's why its taking to long to come out with a new patch- maybe they are trying really hard to put it in. I think they have done all they will do about corruption- thats also a gaming decision.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 9, 2002, 18:22   #6
Dida
Prince

significant change to the editor is not radical at all. It is ESSENTIAL.

Old February 9, 2002, 18:23   #7
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 15:23
Um, None of these ideas are very realistics. Firaxis is not going to make such massive changes in a patch without VERY good reason.
Old February 9, 2002, 19:26   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:23
Re: Focusing on the editor,
Quote:
Originally posted by MonsterMan

A simple command generator that would allow modders to create behaviours not already in the game. Let's take an amphibious vessel for instance, which is both a land and sea unit; it can't be made unless the modder can check both options. 'Tis not a good example, but still
Sure it is, it's called a Hovercraft.
Old February 9, 2002, 19:26   #9
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 21:23
How do you know that, Kc7mxo, and what is unrealistically complicated about my suggestions??
Old February 9, 2002, 19:27   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Um, None of these ideas are very realistics. Firaxis is not going to make such massive changes in a patch without VERY good reason.
And how do you know that?
Old February 9, 2002, 20:58   #11
whosurdaddy
Warlord

FIRAXIS PLEASE LOOK AT THESE SUGGESTONS, I THINK THEY ARE REALISTIC AND WOULD HELP THE GAME.

1) Ability to turn off cultural defections
2) Ability to have aircraft sink ships (optional or whatever)
3) Ability to AT LEAST be able to place civ starting locations and /or cities, ability to place units would be great as well but maybe that is just wishful thinking.
4) A maximum range for airplane rebasing
An airplane should not be produced in new york then have the ability to rebase onto a pacific ocean aircraft carrier in one turn.
5) The concept of civil wars or some other kinds of unexepected events which would brake the tedium of the game and challenge the players in new ways.

Alright, i must go now, if i think of anymore i guess i will go back and edit this list.
Old February 9, 2002, 21:24   #12
Dida
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by whosurdaddy
FIRAXIS PLEASE LOOK AT THESE SUGGESTONS, I THINK THEY ARE REALISTIC AND WOULD HELP THE GAME.

5) The concept of civil wars or some other kinds of unexepected events which would brake the tedium of the game and challenge the players in new ways.

Alright, i must go now, if i think of anymore i guess i will go back and edit this list.
This civil war idea is radical and I don't think Faraxis will do it in a patch. Other suggestions however, are realistic.

Old February 9, 2002, 21:46   #13
Ironwood
Prince

All right, I'll bite. What I'd like to see is the option to turn off the ability to trade "contact with." I think it's silly that it is possible for a landlocked power on one side of the planet to establish (via another civ) diplomatic relations with a landlocked power on the other side of the planet, when they lack even the technology to cross the ocean in the first place.
Take me as I am.
Old February 9, 2002, 22:18   #14
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Local Time: 12:23
I'd like to be able to edit leaders a bit. People complain that armies are grossly underpowered. They are a bit underpowered, but finishing a wonder in one turn is so powerful an ability that it makes making an army look like a ridiculous option. So if leaders could only lend a certain amount of shields to a city, rather than just finishing whatever project the city is working on, that would be cool. And then maybe improve armies a little bit.
Old February 9, 2002, 22:22   #15
Encomium
Warlord

I want. . .

SCENARIO-BUILDING;

A CHEAT MODE;

BEING ABLE TO TOGGLE OFF CULTURE FLIPPING.

That's for starters.