Old March 26, 2002, 22:38   #451
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Local Time: 14:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civman:

I think a call of going over to Communism is in order.

As you know, corruption on our size will probably kill us all if we go with monarchy.
Old March 26, 2002, 22:50   #452
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

This is how I would classify the civs:

Superpowers
Civland
Germany
Iroquois

Major Powers
India
China

Powers
France

Tiny Nations
America
Russia
Greece
Rome

Dead
Zululand
Japan
Persia
Aztec
Babylon
Egypt

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old March 27, 2002, 01:43   #453
Journier
Warlord

lol its funny how easy the comp is to kill... in early game... a few archers and bam comp dead... late game with infantry and crap defending a city Arrrgh piss me off!!

lol u guys arent going to take much of germany's land... i bet my life on it.. 6 attack vs 10 defense = slaughter for us...

Im really mad theres no offensive units in this time period.... grrr

Im in a game large continents.. 2 huge continents im on 1 with 4 other civ's and 4 other comps are on the other...

Not cool... im trying to take over more land in a huge war ive had going on with the greeks, americans, egyptians for past 500 years ugh... ive taken like 10 cities in past 200 years lol :/ all cuz the comp is defending with like 5 infantry in each city now... its sooo gay...

back when they had rifleman it was fine... send in like 8 cav and take over the city leave 1 for defense and move on.took probably 10 cities before i sued for peace cuz i was getting giant revolts...

next war came around they had infantry vs my cav's ugh@!!!
15 cav's vs vet. inf that go to elite after they own 2 of ur cav's is bs...

I think next time i play a game im going to war with the AI before and after ww1 kind of age... grrr
Old March 27, 2002, 02:26   #454
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

BTW, imagine how this game could have turned out if I didn't take the Chinese capital when it was by our kingdom...

*Shudders at that thought*
Old March 27, 2002, 02:34   #455
Journier
Warlord

lol yea

heh...

u know whats weird?

the AI and me were selling each other tech... really big time..

id get 1 tech that they didnt get and id sell it to them for liek 2 techs and liek 60 gold a turn and such..

and if i fell behind in tech i could buy tech for like 500 gold...

BUT BUT BUT!!!!

after i went to war with a trading partner none of them would sell me techs until i had them mostly researched...

that tells me 1 thing..

Dont get a trading partner until uve decided that u will not kill him in next 20 turns. :/
Old March 27, 2002, 09:22   #456
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

yeah...as i said, just take a look at wwi...we can't afford a war like that...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old March 27, 2002, 14:21   #457
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Sure we can get in a war like that. All we have to do is to take all the key resource producing cities ( Horsies and whatnot ) and hold on for dear life.

How else do you think we have taken the Romans? Without horsies, no Cavalry can be produced
Old March 27, 2002, 19:38   #458
civman2000
Emperor

I'll look at the game, but i think they have 3-4 sources of rubber, some of which are deep in their territory...and the type of war we're talking about is one where only rubber matters...

UPDATE: They have 6 sources: 1 in a Siberian colony, 3 near the border, and 2 deep in their territory, one of which is untapped (to the best of our knowledge, it's probably been a while since we exchanged maps)

Last edited by civman2000; March 27, 2002 at 19:47.
Old March 27, 2002, 22:49   #459
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 16:24
Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
tanks? germany'll probab;y have them before us...so far they dont have a source of oil (!!!) but they have one in thier territory they just don't have a road to it yet ..note that no one has any good offensive units. That's why WWI took so long, everyone was just using artillery to both attack and defend, occasionally making a suicide infantry attack! Maybe masses of infantry (easy to make, can beat a counterattack, and, most importantly, can be drafted) with a few artillery might work...
Just because the Germans would have them before us doesn't mean that we shouldn't wait until then to attack. You said they have one source of oil. If we can get that then they won't have nearly as many tanks and we can win. Plus, we have many more cities to produce infantry until we get tanks. I think right now we can outproduce Germany. Artillery barrages with infantry is just too messy and tedious. It will take so much longer than if we wait for tanks. Plus, Germany probably is leary of starting a war with us since we're so large. I beleive number of units (regardless of unit strength) is a big factor in the AI deciding relative power and thus whether to declare war. I don't think we'll be caught with our pants down if we regroup some and wait for superior firepower.

My advice... Try to make friends with the Iriquois (where are they tech-wise?)... a war with them would be pretty difficult anyway. If we can befriend them and get techs from them, then we can catch up and be even with the Germans.

But, it's not my turn, so whoever is playing can do whatever they like. And I can do what I like during my reign.
Old March 27, 2002, 23:29   #460
civman2000
Emperor

yeah, we already are i bit friendlier because of the techs i bought...but about the oil, that's just what i saw in a quick glance...and if they do have multiple sources we cant take, their panzers will be very deadly...

Old March 28, 2002, 00:27   #461
Journier
Warlord

yea.... if u ask me... germany can outproduce us with there tech advantage...

plus since they are rich... they can upgrade....

i dont think well ever get beyond 1 or 2 techs behind the other civ's...no doubt we will ever catch up...

what we could do...

Build a bunker like across africa... 1 space across. Fill each bunker with 3 inf a piece.

When the comp tries to go past the bunker (if we start a war with them) they get dmged and then we clean up the left overs.

probably take 3 turns for all the comps left over units to be sent across the line and be taken out but that will take his attacking units out of the picture...

How many techs are we from tanks 2?
i think thats how many... not sure..

anyways. wait till we get tanks.
but while we are waiting we might as well build that bunker line...
Its good either way. incase our offensive doesnt go well we pull back to defensive line... Atliest as i see it..
Old March 28, 2002, 01:02   #462
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

So, shall I switch our government to Communism?
Old March 28, 2002, 01:04   #463
godinex
Prince

Hey! Do You miss Me?
Playing....
Old March 28, 2002, 01:33   #464
Journier
Warlord

if communism kills our econ load up a save and dont screw with it :/

but i think it will be better then what we are doing now...

gurgle rush building mech infantry...
Old March 28, 2002, 03:24   #465
godinex
Prince

The disciples of Godinex, The Saint organize their party and try to follow the words of Goinex 1 by 1.
First, the make new the army. All the obsolote units were replaced by the new infantry corps in total: 24 riflemen, 18 Musketers, 6 pikemen and 12 spearmen was upgraded for a great total of 4680 GP. The Intecontinental Railroad is ready connecting more than 70 Infantry Corps and 40 Cavalry Units in 3 continents. All the Major cities have at least one station.
Sparta, Osaka, Rome, Troy and Spite have a new courthouse.
Kagoshima, Arbela, Rhodes, Civdesert, Tarsus and Osaka have an aqueduct.
Civville and Civburg have a new factory.
New Civmanton and Civblood have a new temple for the Glory of Good.
Chronopolis and Susa have a new marketplace.
Zimbabwe have a new Police station.

And the South America Base counts now with 3 new settlers and riflemen just for found 3 new cities with acces to a 3 new resources: Silk, Dyes and Gems. Build the citues near to Them and 1 in the coast for the Harbor.

The disciples of Godinex wait for the return of the master… He promised.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	succ32.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	12094  
Old March 28, 2002, 10:05   #466
civman2000
Emperor

and the game??

JOurnier, I've tried using bunkers before, but only over at most 5 squares to hold an isthmus and keep others out of my territory (great solution to all their intrusive settling!). I'm not sure how effective it would be. Also, couldn't they just go through unless it was 2 squares thick? On the other hand, is the AI smart enough to do that? In any case, it would be a huge project, that would require lots of drafting (it may be time for communism in that case) and rushbuying...

Old March 28, 2002, 12:36   #467
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 16:24
The "bunker" should definately have fortresses. I think it's a good idea. Africa isn't too wide. Just so long as the bunker covers all squares the Germans can cross into our territory through, we're covered. Making it deeper than that doesn't help matters. Just stockpile as many infantry units in the fortresses as possible. I'm thinking 4 each. I don't think we would need to do all that much drafting, just have the core cities produce the infantry and cart them up to the line. Draftees can fill in the gaps when we're just about ready to attack Germany.

I think tanks are a good starting point to begin the invasion. After we have a bunch stockpiled, we attack. The infantry from the bunker can occupy the cities we capture.
Old March 28, 2002, 14:30   #468
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Bunkers are useless. The best defense is a good offensive I say.

Just make sure our cities bordering the Germans are well defended. Not TOO defended though. We need those units for the invasion.

The invasion should start on the southern tip, as well as Real World Madgascar. We already have a city on Real World Madgascar, so we can just ship some cavalry units there.

If we take the Southern Tip of Africa, we also take a number of the German Core cities.

This spells for less trouble later on.

Now, the Germans might want these cities back. So they will be sending their forces from the North to the Southern Tip.

This is where the pincer attack comes in. The forces stationed in North Africa will come sweeping down to the south, taking the bordering German cities.

BTW, is there a harbour in Berlin? Because if their ain't, then we can just take the cities around Berlin, and blow apart the roads going into Berlin. No horsies to the rest of Germany, no Oil, no tankies
Old March 28, 2002, 14:56   #469
Journier
Warlord

sovy Fortresses are good very good...

all we do is stay on defense for at most 4 turns... after that most of his units should be destroyed..

then we can move into his area and take over his cities.

he wont be able to retaliate for another 5-6 turns probably since his "loose" attacking units would have been owned hard by our fortifications.

fortifications shoot at passing by units which = dmg to them before we even attack the unit.

then we attack the unit and its dead without us taking much dmg at all. then repeat till his units are dead...

what i fear is the iroqui's going over to the germans side...

cough since those cav's are umm pretty useless when we get tanks,....
maybe we should disband most of them into the cities building tanks and such...

my point of view. if dont want to then never mind
Old March 28, 2002, 15:17   #470
civman2000
Emperor

the bunker idea is a very good one. Sovy, the problem with your idea is that they most likely will have panzers everywhere, so they won't have to divert an attack on northern africa. In any case, all their cities'll be connected by railroads, so it wouldn't make a difference. And why would cutting off Berlin stop the other cities from having resources???

Old March 28, 2002, 20:17   #471
ElDiablo
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:24
As far as I know, Civman, all resources come through the capital before being "distributed" among the empire.
Cut all roads/railroads/harbours from the capital and they're unable to use any of their resources, which means that you'll be facing obsolete troops. wouldn't your troops LOVE to run over a few spearmen?? ...also their luxury resources are affected too...can anyone say civil disorder???
Make sure NOT to take over the capital or allow them to rebuild even one road though, otherwise they'll be able to build their better units again.
"Listen lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, buit I built it all the same just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burnt down, fell over and then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're gonna get, lad, the strongest castle in these isles."
- Swamp King (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Old March 28, 2002, 22:53   #472
godinex
Prince

and the game
Once again... Satanas try to intercept this post but the Hand of God take it to the safe... Glory to God!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip succ32.zip (313.6 KB, 7 views)
Old March 28, 2002, 22:53   #473
Journier
Warlord

Yea

heh...

u know what i hate?
the naval units in this game.. they are so damn slow :/

they should have a movement of 10 for modern age units and like 7 for middle age- industrial ships.. GAH!

(end rant)
Old March 28, 2002, 22:55   #474
Journier
Warlord

woot...
Old March 28, 2002, 23:26   #475
civman2000
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ElDiablo
As far as I know, Civman, all resources come through the capital before being "distributed" among the empire.
No. Having them go to the capital is only for trade. ANy city connected to a resource gets it. For example, I've built colony cities in other games and gotten luxuries in the colonies but nowhere else until i built a harbor. That's also happened with building a city to get horses at the very beginning of the game.

Old March 28, 2002, 23:41   #476
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 11:24
I think that resources can be used by cities even if they do not go through the capital. Isolated cities with an iron can build swordsmen, right?

Steele
Old March 28, 2002, 23:56   #477
Journier
Warlord

drugs are bad...
Old March 29, 2002, 00:01   #478
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 11:24
Quote:
drugs are bad...
Uh...
Am I missing something?

Steele
Old March 29, 2002, 00:17   #479
ElDiablo
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:24
Re: and the game
Um...my mistake...I gotta stop smoking this stuff!
Anyways, great job so far, u guys. I've been lurking around this post since the beginning and I'm enjoying the ongoing tale of the Civvers immensely!

Quote:
Originally posted by godinex
Once again... Satanas try to intercept this post but the Hand of God take it to the safe... Glory to God!
What is YOUR problem, Godinex?
"Listen lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, buit I built it all the same just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burnt down, fell over and then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're gonna get, lad, the strongest castle in these isles."
- Swamp King (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Old March 29, 2002, 00:32   #480
Journier
Warlord

lub joo