Old November 29, 2000, 12:12   #1
E-elttil
Settler

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Weather anyone?
Has the addition of weather been discussed? Feasibility? How about avalanches destroying mountain tile improvements? Hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, earthquakes... Thoughts...
Old November 29, 2000, 14:28   #2
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Yes.
Old November 29, 2000, 18:51   #3
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 19:34
The problem with weather is that storms only last for up to a week at most. Most are only hours in length. Earthquakes last for seconds - a few days if you include aftershocks. Games Turns last for years at a time.

------------------
'I want to be hand counted and checked for dimples.'
Old November 29, 2000, 20:07   #4
Kestrel
Warlord

But the effects of weather

( drought -> famine, bushfires, economic collapse ;
earthquakes -> loss of life , much rebuilding, economic collapse)

can last for years.
Old November 30, 2000, 00:38   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:34
According to DC's rather informative thread...

*The River, The Mountain, The Weather
*Anything happening on the weather front?

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
Old November 30, 2000, 01:51   #6
Zer0_T0lerance
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Kestrel on 11-29-2000 07:07 PM
But the effects of weather

( drought -> famine, bushfires, economic collapse ;
earthquakes -> loss of life , much rebuilding, economic collapse)

can last for years.

I agree.

------------------
Zero (formerly jrhughes98)
Old December 5, 2000, 08:29   #7
Sir David
Emperor

Our own metrologist (we got one over at Apolyton Off topic), Gregor, once wrote a book in the subject "Metrology in Civilization games"... I have no idea where on the forum that book is (if it still exist)...
Old December 5, 2000, 09:15   #8
Coflek

Having weather, and natural catastrophes would be great, as it was in Civ 1 . Adds a bit of unpredictability, as in real life.

(I liked the newspaper too but that's another topic)

Old December 5, 2000, 12:23   #9
airdrik
Prince

Yin, someone? can I get this deleted, I accidentally hit the button one too many times.

[This message has been edited by airdrik (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old December 5, 2000, 12:26   #10
airdrik
Prince

I agree, and, as was stated previously (might not have been in this post, but), you could flip a switch to have them occor randomly, or at certain historical times, ie. when the mongols were about to put the death blow on japan with a full out invasion. Knowing that they would win, they all got in their ships and had a great big pre-victory celebration when a typhone came and destroyed all their ships. Thus was the downfall of the greater mongol empire. Also, there are the two fiercest russian generals: January and February. They've only lost one battle (but don't ask me who it was that invaded, I would have to go dig it out of my notes), and have been the downfall of many dictators (Hitler, Napoleon)
Old December 5, 2000, 14:52   #11
Zer0_T0lerance
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Grumbold on 12-05-2000 12:29 PM
In previous Civ's losing an advanced city would mean 100+ turns of recovery which is too severe.

Not unless you send in the National Guard. They could quicky restore the city at less costs.

Also, I think natural disasters in Civ should not be likely to cause damage to or destroy city improvements and wonders. They should cause damage to and destroy mainly homes and businesses and with it cause a temporary population decrease from deaths and homelessness.

------------------
Zero (formerly jrhughes98)
Old December 5, 2000, 23:41   #12
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

yes, weather has been suggested, its gone both ways, some want it, some don't. My preferance would be to have major stuff, like a hurricane, that would take out any city with a certain radious of the shoreline. And something like earthquakes, where the land would change, but nothing more then that, NO thunder storms or any thing. Look up my thread on this subject...forgot its name, I think it was under the name, Tim White, That is who I am, just usin another name right now.
Old December 6, 2000, 01:29   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:34
Weather affecting combat is going to be almost impossible to allow for in any 'predictable' way since the length of turns in a standard game (not scenario) are likely to be 1+ years. If CIV3 adopts the formation of armies then allowances could be made for differing level of generalship, including making the most of the weather conditions.

Disasters can be modelled outside of combat and range from localised flooding and earthquakes to more global problems. Even with modern predictive devices the damage done is significant. Arguably though even large events are statistically insignificant when in real life all but the most complex structures can be rebuilt within a handful of years. In previous Civ's losing an advanced city would mean 100+ turns of recovery which is too severe.

How many turns generals live for is a different problem (if they are used.) I won't be happy until a Civ game can model Alexander the Great, Caesar or Napoleon campaigning their way around the world as part of a full epoch spanning game. Current movement rates would have all of them expiring of old age long before they defeated anybody. Monthly turns would have each game lasting too long and probably too focused on military manoeuvers.
Old December 6, 2000, 02:30   #14
jdlessl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:34
I think that city improvements would benefit from a MOO1 slider approach, ie. the improvements you build need to be expanded for them to be of any use as your population grows.

This has quite a few effects. You don't have to spend 20 turns building something important, only to have to cancel it at the last minute because you need a unit. Disasters like bad weather could destroy only a portion of the 'Religious centers' improvement. Things like Aqueduct/Sewer requirements, which are currently unrealistic, will increase in proportion to the city. Should the city expand beyond the current levels, you get an increased risk for something bad: plague for lacking Sanitation improvements; famine for Granaries/Supermarkets; revolt and decreased production for Courthouses, etc, etc.

Wonders would have to be handled differently, probably just like they are now. Hmmm... How about the work you've done on a given Wonder is 'saved' so that you can switch to something else for a while, and then pick up where you left off? And should someone else beat you to it, you can recycle some of your wonder build points into a new one.

--
Jared Lessl
[This message has been edited by jdlessl (edited December 06, 2000).]