Old February 12, 2002, 01:57   #1
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 15:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Headed for a crash
Is it just me, or do people seem to have unrealistic expectations of the next patch?

I mean, people post that they only come by these forums once in a while to check on the status of the patch. Obviously untrue, since they also post, but eh. Anyway, what do they expect from the patch? Patches, in my experience, fix bugs. Some games won't work without patches, and the list of fixes can be extensive, but they're minor in that they don't, from what little I know, make big changes to the game.

I haven't read press releases or researched what's supposed to be in the patch, AFAIK, no promises have been made. I've gotten the impression that there will be one, and I know there are bugs to fix. I'm talking real bugs, like the ability to bombard or airlift anywhere on the map, not "bugs" such as the inclusion of the Americans or that bombers won't sink ships. Probably a few exploits will be checked as well, if the last patch is any indication.

I don't expect to see multiplayer added. I don't expect to see major changes to the editor or gameplay. It could happen, but I don't expect it just because that's just not the sort of thing that goes in patches.

So why are people waiting so expectantly upon the arrival of the next patch? Is the bombard bug ruining things for them?

No. Hells no. They're expecting major changes, and they're setting themselves up for disappointment. Unrealistic expectations are why some fans are so disappointed by Civ 3, so now we can expect yet another wave of whines, rants, and general misery if and when the patch arrives.

If you don't like Civ 3 as it is, you're not going to like it with the patch. I don't see how anyone could realistically expect otherwise.
Old February 12, 2002, 02:07   #2
Terser
Warlord

Local Time: 14:28
I think some people--myself included--return and speculate about the patch in an effort to recapture the feel of those halcyon days before CivIII actually hit the shelves. Remember pouring over every screenshot, moving your head so close to the monitor your eyes got bloodshot? Remember seeing a screen with a small icon on it and realizing it was a never-before-seen unit? Then coming to the message boards to see what everyone else thought it might be? What about scanning the "Civ of the Week" over at the official website and then seeing it repeated at this site and Civfanatics?

I remember doing that. And I want to do that again, because I haven't played CivIII itself since early December. I can still come here, post, argue, debate, and dream that the CivIII I thought I was getting might yet become a reality.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old February 12, 2002, 02:52   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:28
I dunno. They promised splediforous (tm) ecstasy in the editor, didn't they? They may well deliver on that in a patch.

Did I mention group movement?

If they delivered on these 2 things, a lot of pressure would be off them. It might also win back some of the good will they have lost in many of the civ faithful. In short, it might be a good business decision.

Salve
Old February 12, 2002, 03:00   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
LOL Terser, your Spearman quote series is hilarious!!

With the patch, Im hoping for a better editor, one that can enable the modders to actually make some changes, balance the game to the way we want it, and just let us do more than change the color of the railways .

Group movement would also go a long way towards making the late game faster and easier to actually play.

Hopefully...
Old February 12, 2002, 03:15   #5
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 20:28
Yes, STACKS, WE WANT THE STACKS.
And enable more 'upgrade-all', 'automate all', 'select-all' type of command, rather than givinng command to each individual units.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old February 12, 2002, 03:31   #6
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 15:28
I think we can expect improvements to the editor. I doubt we will see stacks moving as one. Might happen but if so I expect it will take till April or so.