Old February 14, 2002, 23:15   #181
Johnno
Settler

Local Time: 12:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks Mike B
Quote:
OK, I've looked into the save and it apparently does still crash (even in 1.17f). It's actually not the same settler/transport crash I fixed for 1.16f but it is related. I've updated the latest build to fix it (not 1.17f) but I'm not sure when it will be made available. Bonus: your save also exposed a problem with the latest build of the game and I've fixed that too (note: this problem doesn't exist in 1.17f so no need to worry).
Thanks Mike; Glad our game crashes are helping you fix the problem with Civ3

Really though I guess i can wait until 1.18 better to have it fixed than not fixed at all. I appreciate your help.

Johnno
Old February 14, 2002, 23:54   #182
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
Quote:
Originally posted by shuttleswo
True, but on attack with mobile units you had this functionality anyway. The ability to retreat within an army has up to this point been strongest on city defense, in my limited experience with armies the AI NEVER attacks an army (with good units) fortified in a strong position (mountain, city etc.) This has been an armies best use; although I personally didn't find it more useful than rushing wonders.
One thing this patch WILL make me do is possibly re-evaluate the value of armies on attack. Now that independant mobile units can die in an attack the 100% probabilty of a units retreat within an army now becomes an ability unique to armies and thus could make them more valuable.
I do hope that entire armies comprised only of mobile units can also retreat, i haven't used armies enough to know if they did or not before the new patch.
I've used armies of elite legionaries before to kill off the last hitpoint of heavily entrenched defenders. When the terrain is rugged fast units don't seem to retreat anyway so its a lot safer to send in the army. I'd agree about the defensive strength though and have referred to it in the past. A city held by an elite legionary army seems to be too much of a threat even to tanks when the AI is considering its targets. I've not seen if it works against modern armour - i've always retired the ancient armies in favour of mech inf if the game gets that far.

Armies of mobile units certainly break off attacking when badly damaged. I wouldn't expect the new 50/50 rule to apply here because it is the only advantage an army formation gets.
Old February 15, 2002, 12:24   #183
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Why tomorrow? The patch is available now.
Not when I made the post. And the servers are overloaded, so I wasn't going to wait 4 hours for a 7MB file