Old February 14, 2002, 03:22   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
try to save this one
A friend of mine is learning Moo and called to to say he had run into a problem with this game at Avg level on small map. It was quite a job to pull this one out. I thought it was a fun exercise so I am attaching it here for anyone that want a go at it.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip save1.zip (9.4 KB, 37 views)
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2002, 06:09   #2
Zealot
King

Local Time: 21:33
Is it MOO1 or MOO2?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2002, 12:57   #3
vmxa1
Deity

Sorry, it is MOO. I logged my turns so I can help my friend when he gets to it.
Old February 23, 2002, 17:23   #4
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 14:33
It wasn't easy, but not hard either. I played for a bit and then reloaded from the start just to get a feel for what was going on. Tech selection is very important. So is focusing on research.

Incredible bad luck on the events though. On my first little run Kylstron had the industrial accident then went poor like the next turn. I also had a nova and a rebellion.
Garth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2002, 13:40   #5
vmxa1
Deity

You are exactly correct, it is not too hard, but not easy. When you get over the hump, it was fun. My friend now knows how to do it and to not get into this big of a hole.
Old March 2, 2002, 18:42   #6
bbess1
Settler

HI- I've Been a MOO fanatic since 1994 or so. Know all the copy protection ships by heart. Played this savegame and first time got my butt bombed into dust by the mrrshann who had developed a medium bomber unit, even though I was increasing the number of missle bases, (had about 30 on each planet). Tried again, this time scrapping all ships and pouring the BCs into research. Was devloping nicely, had about 50 missle bases on each planet and was enduring massive attacks by the AI - one or two per turn at times. Then the space crystal appeared in the northeast quadrant. I had no ships at all. So I designed a small with 1 mass driver comp lvl 5 and I think fusion engines with inert stabilizer and battle scanner. Built about 600 before the crystal moved - luckily away from me. So I built up to 1000 and also about 250 bombers - small with 2 of the smallish bombs. Sent 'em over to snag the planet the crystal blasted. Captured it and then got destroyed by the dang Mrrshan fleet, They just had too many good ships. So I hunkered down and researched and built up to the usual, large ship w\ teleporter, pulse phasors, HEF battle scanner and a small bomber w\ a nutronium bomb and teleporter. That was that. Any other savegames out there? Kinda fun picking up in the middle like that. Maybe I'll upload one.
bbess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2002, 20:40   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Glad to hear it. This goes to show that you can use a number to styles to get it done. I enjoyed it, because I normally have it fairly easy and this was a tussle for awhile. If my friend had the full understanding, he would not have been in such a bind. It reminds me of Ascendancy, where you can sit for say 30 turns and take no action to give the AI a head start to make it a challenge.
Old January 7, 2003, 07:32   #8
AIL
Warlord

Gonna DL it when I'm at home. I hope I can also make it have a good end.
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 16:43   #9
AIL
Warlord

I played it to the bitter end. Could not really stop em. But one thing is to be mentioned about the outgoing. Wasn't it so, that the Silicoids were the winners of the election? Well, they were completely destroyed by the Alkaris! I wonder what an Alliance is for the Comp! Well, they did not attack the Fleets of each other but bombing Planets to dust or sending in Invasion Forces was very common. Just wanted to tell this, because I found it to be strange!
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 17:30   #10
vmxa1
Deity

I can no longer recall much about this game. I know I won it by killing everyone eventually. I remember a very very long hard run beating them back until I could go on the offensive. Maybe I will down load it and play it again.
I know a few people had said they beat it.
I can not remember if this went to final war or not.
I recall some key step I took on the first or second turn that let me make a difference. I guess I will have to check it out.
Old January 9, 2003, 20:29   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, I ran it out to 2518 so far. I had forgotten that you start off with Final war.
It has actually gone easier that I recalled. Maybe I did something differnet before, not sure. I basicaly pumped in 4.4% to spy on the Saks who only have one planet.
Quickly designed two missile ships and made one of each for each planet. Scrapped the gun boat and spread out the large MB to all planets. Most of the med missile boats cost me nothing to make as the money had already been poured on builds for large ships.
Put money into Quayle to get it up to speed.
Reset research to =.
On third turn stole planetary shields. I then stole computer stuff until I got robotics IV. Then switched to Planetary enventually got Soil. Oh +20 and later +30 pops before soil.
Worked on getting shields up and made a third missile boat type. I only build it at planets that got attacked.
One or two fights were close and I lost missile boats on one battle. They have not really done any damage, maybe 5 ships lost total. I slamed one fleet with 55 large and 22 med ships. They do not seem to have a large number. One attack had a huge design, by then I had stolen mercs and stingers.
I see one planet has no bases, so I am consiering an attack, but I have no real fleet to protect it yet.
If this was at impossible level I would not be sure of my survival as they can come with very strong fleets. At this level, I may soon be able to out research them with 8 planets. They do have a lot of tech to steal, but I am keeping 4-6 spies going most all of the time.

Last edited by vmxa1; January 11, 2003 at 19:39.
Old January 10, 2003, 05:25   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Ok AIL, I finished it again. It was much easier this time. Not sure if I did things different or was much lucker. I think I had a few battles that they did some damage, but really they never were able to hurt my planets. I hung on the starting ones for a longtime. I keep a log.
Old January 11, 2003, 17:32   #13
Zed-F
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:33
I have tried this game and found that it was in fact pretty easy to win. All I had to do was steal Class V planetary shield and a semi-decent battle computer and my planets were secure, as the AI didn't have anything that could really dent my planets. So, I just hunkered down, got the spy network and research engines going, scrapped the (useless) space fleet, and cocooned. After stealing and researching quite a few techs my planets were in good enough shape that I could start building some big beam ships with repulsor beams and start going on the offensive.

The real killer for the AI was that they didn't have any better missle tech than you did. Once I had planetary shields up there was no way for them to bust my planets short of using antimatter bombs, and at the time of the save file the bombs were still too big for them to be deployed in quantity. I did eventually start seeing big stacks of AM bomb equipped ships, but by then I was on the verge of discovering scatter pack VII and class X planetary shields, so I wasn't too concerned.
Zed-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2003, 19:36   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Yes, that is about the size of it. They were never a able todo much more than kill 1 or 2 medium sized missile boats. In fact for a long time they did not get to drop any bombs, so it would not have mattered if I got the Class V or not, but I did not know that it would end up that way.