Old February 14, 2002, 11:10   #1
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 22:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stack movement clarifcation
i asked Jeff Morris about it:

When you say "unit type" do you mean land/air/sea or something like horses/spearmen/etc?

the response:

Horses/spearmen/etc

i guess it allows the faster units to reach their destination faster(than if they if they had to be as fast a slow unit) in the expense of a couple more clicks...
Old February 14, 2002, 11:12   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 15:34
That's what we were thinking. Thanks, Mark. Some people have expressed a preference for a nondeterministic group movement, but others of us like this just fine.
Old February 14, 2002, 11:14   #3
Libertarian
King

By the way, could you ask him for clarifications on some of the 1.17f questions in this thread?
Old February 14, 2002, 11:55   #4
Libertarian
King

Okay. Thanks.
Old February 14, 2002, 12:01   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Oh... I see. Well, if you consider that units have different movement rates, then I think they chose the best way to deal with stacked movement.

After all, less clicks = more fun.
Old February 14, 2002, 13:43   #6
Ghengis Brom
Chieftain

I think stack movement is an excellent idea. I'm worried though. What if you only want to move one or two units out of the stack. Will the entire stack move anyway? I was kind of hoping for something similar to armies but without the advantages. Guess I'll wait to see the patch holds in store.
Old February 14, 2002, 14:02   #7
Salvor
Apolyton University
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghengis Brom
I think stack movement is an excellent idea. I'm worried though. What if you only want to move one or two units out of the stack. Will the entire stack move anyway? I was kind of hoping for something similar to armies but without the advantages. Guess I'll wait to see the patch holds in store.
Stacked movement will be a different command. If you want to move the stack, use the 'j' key. If you want to move an individual unit, use the 'g' key or the cursor movement keys.
Old February 14, 2002, 14:05   #8
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 20:34
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but the readme says that stacked movement will be based on "unit type", and not on the movement allowance of the units in question.

The "clarification" above, does nothing to "clarify" this.

So, if an infantry unit and a catapult both have a movement of one, does that mean they will move together as a stack? Or will individual unit types move separately (ie all infantry move, all artillery move, all cavalry move, etc).

Even so, the "one hex movement restriction" within enemy borders means this "stacked movement" will all be done "one hex at a time".

Sounds like fun. . .
Old February 14, 2002, 14:12   #9
Libertarian
King

One hex movement restriction? Do you mean tiles? I recall moving my armor three "hexes". I think the main benefit of group movement will be for workers. It will allow you to process worker tasks in the most efficient possible way.
Old February 14, 2002, 14:20   #10
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
One hex movement restriction? Do you mean tiles? I recall moving my armor three "hexes". I think the main benefit of group movement will be for workers. It will allow you to process worker tasks in the most efficient possible way.
Within an enemy's borders, many of your units will be resticted in movement even when using roads, so you will either still have to move all your units one at a time, or use the stacked movement feature to move "unit types" like artillery one tile at a time. . .
Old February 14, 2002, 14:34   #11
Libertarian
King

Well, yes and no, I reckon. I imagine you can click your GoTo whereever you want, including ten tiles away, though that might not be wise for any number of reasons. In any case, there are units that move two and three tiles, not just one, whether there are roads or not.

But your complaint would apply in any case, including Yin-style group movement. If you had an artillery piece (whose move count you haven't edited) in a mixed stack, it (the whole stack) would still prod along one tile at a time.

I think the advantage of the new group movement, aside from workers, is that you can grab a pile of tanks and move them all at once from one end of your railroaded empire to the other, rather than one at a time.

As I understand it, the feature was to reduce late-game tedium, which concerned mainly the hoards of workers that you moved into place as you conquered as well as the mobilization of forces that you had inventoried in stockpiles.
Old February 14, 2002, 14:57   #12
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

As I understand it, the feature was to reduce late-game tedium, which concerned mainly the hoards of workers that you moved into place as you conquered as well as the mobilization of forces that you had inventoried in stockpiles.
Hi Libertarian:

I agree, for workers alone, this type of stacked movement will be a tremendous blessing.

And for certain individual combat units it will really help as well: such as for the hordes of bombers and tanks one tends to accumulate.

Hopefully, the chat on Friday will help clarify things a bit more.