Old March 10, 2002, 13:15   #331
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 17:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
a bug: 4 civs have built the Woman´s Surfrage wonder!!!!

something annoying: AI civs seems to cross other AI territory without a free pass pact too often.
Old March 11, 2002, 11:19   #332
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 20:35
The free techs given to a scientific civ when entering a new era are almost always the same:

Monotheism, Nationalism, and Rocketry

After playing many games with scientific civs, these techs are so frequently the first, you can almost count on it.

Why not let the scientific civ make the choice, instead?

The game was improved when the player was given more control over the techs granted by Theory of Evolution, so why not extend this improvement to the free techs that scientific civs get?
Old March 12, 2002, 08:59   #333
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 21:35
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
(27) The city screen says "An Tax Collector" and "An Scientist"
(28) If a city produces 100 or more gold, beakers or smilies, the first digit is not always visible (are the bars sometimes longer than normal??)
(29) The Establish Embassies option is still showing when we already have embassies in all the capitals
(30) The Civilopedia claims that the science wonders double research in the city, but the fact is that they 'merely' add 100% of the basic number of beakers and are not multiplicative
(31) The animation of the air recon mission is too fast. There is hardly time to see the result during the execution of the mission
(32) Upon clicking the button to create a spy in Russia, I get the message that my spy was killed (ie without any action by the Ruskies, dead BEFORE arrival)

Last edited by Ribannah; March 14, 2002 at 09:56.
Old March 12, 2002, 12:24   #334
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 15:35
A city built on a hill next to an ocean does not seem to be able to build a harbor. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
Old March 12, 2002, 12:32   #335
geofelt
Prince

On the domestic advisor screen, the controls do not seem to be right.
The delta button moves lines up/down by one.
A single click on the slider moves lines up/down by two.
A double click on the slider moves lines up/down by 4.
The mouse scroll wheel does nothing.
What I want is some way to move a whole page up/down.
level 1.17f
Old March 12, 2002, 12:44   #336
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 16:35
Quote:
The free techs given to a scientific civ when entering a new era are almost always the same:

Monotheism, Nationalism, and Rocketry

After playing many games with scientific civs, these techs are so frequently the first, you can almost count on it.

Why not let the scientific civ make the choice, instead?
i thought the advances you get were hardcoded...

i've never seen anything other than those three. random would be so much better.
Old March 12, 2002, 13:41   #337
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

What I have noticed on the free tech you get is that those three are the default, but you can change it if you happen to start your research on one of the three. For example, if when you advance to industrial age - you start to research nationalism, you wont get it as a free tech, the computer picks another tech (usually the lowest cost to research) to give you.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old March 13, 2002, 13:33   #338
fittstim
Warlord

I guess this should be considered a bug...

Expansionist civs get a free scout at the beginning. This is an unbelievable advantage in my opinion. So I went into the editor and changed the civs which could have the scout (Brits, US, Am. Indians, Rus, maybe more). Now only the Germans had access to the scout (and I never build them).

Anyway when I started a new game, the first thing I run into is a Brit scout! Sure, they can't build scouts anymore but they still have the damn scout in the beginning. This must be a bug.

Having a scout to start the game means huts, huts, huts which means more cities and more techs. No fair!
Old March 13, 2002, 13:57   #339
Mikel
Warlord

OK I am not going to read 12 pages of mistakes so if this has already been said you can take me out the back and do what you will.

If you enter the city screen and click the draft button a number of times equal to your civ's draft rate (i.e. the draft button will disappear), then click on the arrow at the top of the screen to go to the next city the draft button is still missing even though that city could potentially draft another citizen. The button will appear for that city if you close the city screen and double click on the city.

Does anyone at Firaxis still read all this???
Troll "Thats the thing with randomness, you can never be sure."
Old March 13, 2002, 15:30   #340
Martock
Warlord

3) Optomize the AI's turns I am simply bored to death with Civ3 because of the long turns. Civ2 had a little icon in the corner that indicated what color was currenlty moving -- this helped eliminiate the bordom greatly as you at least knew the current progress of things and who was moving. So can you try and optimize the AI's turn, but most of all can you include that little colored square that indicates who's taking their turn so we won't be left in the dark as to what is going on while the AI takes its turn? (and not just a text saying who's moving but something that indicates the civ's color) [KEVIN AR18]

that is a kick ass idea. anything to let you know just how much longer you have to wait. in my last game (before is crashed), i was averaging about 60 minutes to 90 minutes before i could do ANYTHING. i would click on end turn, 5 minutes later it would pop up with the first city finished building this damn thing window and it would take between 3 to 5 minutes before the next one came!! having a massive empire at that point (over 75 cities or so) meant i could drive the length of California and back before i could play a turn!

i TRULY hope Firaxis does work on fixing this. it's not like i'm running an older PI or PII machine and the game does fly in the beginning. still by mid game it tanks so badly that i'm stuck doing other things like, yard work or walking the dog, or organizing the attic before i can actually play again!!
Old March 13, 2002, 17:23   #341
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

They should make the pikeman act like a horse.. stopping enemy cavalry disengaging ( could just make it a move 2 unit- it can't attack anyhow really)

I've found that when zoomed out the sprite clipping dosen't work so any units half on screen's graphics get mixed up.

Would be nice for multiple zoom modes.. an even closer zoom to see all the unit details is good too as well as intermediate levels.

Also minorly the city advisor screen unit colours sometimes aren't of your own civ if you look at another civ first.. one time they looked blue american when i was english.
Old March 14, 2002, 02:42   #342
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Game turns DRASTICALLY slow down when I see my first industria/modern unit.
I am still in the ancient age and was getting at least acceptable turn times. However, all the sudden one turn, things slowed way down (~2 minutes + more after the city info windows) During this same turn I saw my first industrial unit -- a Battleship.
I also turned on citizen mood management in my cities that turn.
However, I have also heard other people mention this being a issue, that when they hit the modern era, things slow way down.

Level: Deity
Size: Large
Civs: Default
Processor: 1.5GHZ
RAM: 512MB
Old March 14, 2002, 09:59   #343
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Game turns DRASTICALLY slow down when I see my first industria/modern unit.
The slow-down is probably caused by massive railroading, which introduces the possibility of infinite movement. There is a check against infinity, but you can see AI units moving back and forth many times before they finally stop. The calculations involved must cause the explosion of time consumed.
Old March 14, 2002, 13:39   #344
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Quote:
The slow-down is probably caused by massive railroading, which introduces the possibility of infinite movement. There is a check against infinity, but you can see AI units moving back and forth many times before they finally stop. The calculations involved must cause the explosion of time consumed.
Well, then I guess that's something they need to fix.
Old March 14, 2002, 20:14   #345
Ribannah
Queen

Yep.

(33) The score in the Hall of Fame is not the same as the score reported upon finishing the game. Looks like one more turn is advanced, so the time bonus is smaller (the turn you finish, so the Hall of Fame is probably correct).
Old March 14, 2002, 23:26   #346
MosesPresley
Prince

I've been through the entire thread and I haven't seen this one reported before.

My govenors will still build workers, even though I have chosen the option to "never" build workers for all cities. This usually occurs when all city improvements that are available have been built.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old March 15, 2002, 04:58   #347
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
Expansionist civs get a free scout at the beginning. This is an unbelievable advantage in my opinion. So I went into the editor and changed the civs which could have the scout (Brits, US, Am. Indians, Rus, maybe more). Now only the Germans had access to the scout (and I never build them).

Anyway when I started a new game, the first thing I run into is a Brit scout! Sure, they can't build scouts anymore but they still have the damn scout in the beginning. This must be a bug
fittstim

expansionists civs ALWAYS start out with a scout, but with the changes you made, they now can no longer build scouts...like if you selected the scout for all civs, only the expansionistic civs would start with one but all civs could build scouts then
Old March 15, 2002, 14:51   #348
Ribannah
Queen

(34) Firaxis has only done half work on the Great Leaders lists. Some civs have just a few names, others have more.

On the Iroquois list we see Tecumseh, Red Cloud and Sitting Bull(!), who were no Iroquois at all and have no business on that list.

Here is a list of 10 Iroquois Great Leaders; I'd like each civ to have 10.

Joseph Brant
Tiyanoga (aka King Hendrick)
Skenandoah (real name: Oskanondonha)
Sagoyewatha
Cornplanter
Dekanawidah
Lewis Cook
Canaqueese
Honyere Tehawenkarogwen
Canassatego

(35) It is not possible to sell the aqueduct when a city has dropped below size 7

Last edited by Ribannah; March 18, 2002 at 20:16.
Old March 15, 2002, 18:31   #349
Martock
Warlord

ahh nuts!!!

why is it that every time i get riflemen and cavalry, the sound affects go all WONKY on them. when the cav attack, there's no gunfire sound. when the riflemen move, no gunfire sound (though i think that's actually for the best).

what is going on here?! has ANYONE had this kind of problem?! i'd really REALLY
like to figure this out cuz nothing sucks rotten apples more than having your
cavalry charge into a nice battle to only hear the horse grunting!!
Old March 15, 2002, 19:32   #350
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 12:35
I think this happens to everyone. In all versions of the game. Try reinstalling. I say that because I have this suspicion that what is going on is something a programmer did for his own convenience. The sound was there at the beginning. It went away. Then when I reinstalled during the 1.16f wrong executable mess the sounds came back. For a while.

I think it may programmed to change the sound after a while because the cracking of the rifles got to someone at Firaxis. They would have to see if the sound was there with each iteration of the game but may have wanted the damn thing to stop after a the initial testing.

Now if only someone at Firaxis would actually say what was going on. I am pretty sure its just those two rifle sounds that are doing this.

Another strange thing with sound is that the WLTKD sound is played when WLTKD ENDS. Why when it ENDS. And why is there a sound for unrest if it isn't ever played?
Old March 15, 2002, 20:48   #351
Martock
Warlord

actually the sound clips come back occasionally...i'd hate to have to reinstall again this month...i've already done that once...i just wish this could just be fixed once and for all.
Old March 16, 2002, 12:43   #352
DaXX
Chieftain

ok this is not as much a bug report as an idea for a new feature

city's with barracks should have a small indicator overtop their city icon to let us know which cities have barracks and which cities don't

i'm talking about on the main screen, right overtop the city you could have some kind of small little thing, a light that could be on or off to indicate barracks or no barracks
Old March 16, 2002, 15:00   #353
Coracle
Prince

It really gets me ticked off when we have to raze a city (because garrisons still don't help stop stupid flipping) and then leave an open patch of land.

We send a settler, but everyone else immediately knows about this open land and they all send settlers there. In fact, I'm convinced the AI gives the nearest rival military unit a free settler because there is no way the AI civs could make one as fast as it appears.

Worse, civs I'm at war with march settlers brazenly into my territory to their certain doom. It is so dumb it's boring. I did not see that with 1.16.
Old March 16, 2002, 15:37   #354
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:35
I loose sound occasionally too. My problem is related to the comp not coming out of sleep mode properly. I find that restarting the computer works to get it back.

Salve
Old March 16, 2002, 17:22   #355
MosesPresley
Prince

Here's another bug. I haven't seen this reported previously either.

The "W" wait command doesn't work all of the time. It appears to be random. IMHO, this one definitely needs fixin'.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old March 16, 2002, 17:39   #356
DaXX
Chieftain

why can't i change a citizen from a tax collector to a scientist without switching the city governor off? such a seemingly simple thing, yet it forces me to turn the governor off the acomplish
Old March 16, 2002, 19:02   #357
watorrey
Warlord

When using the J command, if there are units of that type that have already moved on that tile, they will move to the designated square on the next turn.

It should move the presently active units only and not ones that have already moved (my understanding).
Old March 17, 2002, 14:39   #358
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Undead Americans
GHOST CIV BUG IS NOT FIXED.

In my game there is still one undead civ: Americans.

No towns, but still in the game.

P.S.
Game is lighly MODed, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Here is the save:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip undead americans.zip (153.7 KB, 0 views)
Old March 17, 2002, 15:12   #359
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

I just started a new game and the turns are under 30 seconds (used to be under 10), and I am actually enjoying the game.

I have filed lots of little suggestions/bugs about Civ3, but this one area determines whether I will hate or enjoy the game. I can live with about 90% percent of the issues that may have been in the game if only the turns did not take so long.

Under 10 seconds (with animations turned off) I find enjoyable.
Under 30 seconds (with animations turned on) I find enjoyable with only a slight annoyance.

Anything over 30 seconds and I become more and more annoyed with the game and find I want to play it less and less.

So, get the game to under 30 seconds for even the Modern Era.
1. Don't make AI land units move aimlessly back and forth (aka patrol). Either (1) Give them a destination, (2) make them fortify in a city, (3) make them fortify in forts on borders, or anthing else so the AI stops calculating to move them every turn and thus making the turns longer because of more calculations.
2. Stop ships from aimlessly moving back and forth. Either (1) Give them a destination (2) make them fortify and stay there off my coast or (3) move on to discover new lands.
3. Stop units from endlessly wandering over railroad systems. Follow idea #1 and keep them in one place and make the AI forget about them (aka don't perform calcuations on them) till they are needed.
4. If there are optimizations that need to be done to the way borders are drawn do that.
5. See if the issue about the long time before you can play after the city pop-ups can be fixed.
6. And most of all, just check all the aspects of the AI's turn and fix areas that are uselessly taking up time -- I only offered suggestions in numbers 1-5; I don't really know what is taking up ALL the time, but some of the things I mentioned have been noticed/suggested by me or others.

Why do I keep posting about this? Because I have finally realized that it's not all the little things about the game I dislike, but the tediousness of having to wait a long time for the AI to take it's turn in the modern (and any) era. If turns on large maps averaged about 20 seconds, I'd probably be playing this game more than I'd be here posting about it.
Old March 18, 2002, 16:52   #360
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
It really gets me ticked off when we have to raze a city (because garrisons still don't help stop stupid flipping) and then leave an open patch of land.

We send a settler, but everyone else immediately knows about this open land and they all send settlers there. In fact, I'm convinced the AI gives the nearest rival military unit a free settler because there is no way the AI civs could make one as fast as it appears.

Worse, civs I'm at war with march settlers brazenly into my territory to their certain doom. It is so dumb it's boring. I did not see that with 1.16.
I don't think this is a bug. Every AI civ has a reserve of settlers. The instant open territory opens up, they are dispatched to go settle it. Yes, it gets kinda silly when you are in the middle of a war, and are destroying a civ, and you watch a settler/rifleman team leave a besieged city, pass your stack of troops, and try to get to an open spot to resettle. *shrug* Whatever, the AI has been coded to expand aggressively, and this is a side effect of that. It's minor, IMO.

I learned pretty quick - if I'm going to war, I build a bunch of settlers right before I attack.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.