Old February 19, 2002, 18:10   #151
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Local Time: 20:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can I include this as a bug report? cause it's really annoying at times.

Say, you want to demand a city or even give a city to another civilization. When you are in the negotiation screen you are unable to look at your map to see the name of the correct city to chose.

Make a way so you can click on the map and move around to find the proper city to discuss in the negotiation.
Old February 19, 2002, 20:09   #152
Wjousts
Settler

Local Time: 15:35
Has any body else had trouble with the summary replay screen at the end of a game? It just doesn't work at all for me. I click the play button and nothing happens, I click the forward one turn button and nothing happens, I click the fast forward and guess what?....nothing happens!
I was really disappointed when I couldn't get it to work, I don't think it was in Civ II, but I remember it from Civ I and I was looking forward to finding out what everybody else had been up to. I'm running windows XP pro BTW.
The replay didn't work with the last patch either. I had hoped that it'd been fixed this time.

Also, the civilopedia entry for air missions states that ctrl-R is the shortcut for rebasing when in fact it is shift-R.
Old February 19, 2002, 21:00   #153
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Wjousts
Has any body else had trouble with the summary replay screen at the end of a game? It just doesn't work at all for me. I click the play button and nothing happens, I click the forward one turn button and nothing happens, I click the fast forward and guess what?....nothing happens!
I was really disappointed when I couldn't get it to work, I don't think it was in Civ II, but I remember it from Civ I and I was looking forward to finding out what everybody else had been up to. I'm running windows XP pro BTW.
The replay didn't work with the last patch either. I had hoped that it'd been fixed this time.

Also, the civilopedia entry for air missions states that ctrl-R is the shortcut for rebasing when in fact it is shift-R.
As I recall from the last game I finished (some weeks ago), it takes several seconds/couple minutes for the Replay to be prepared. Get out of your seat for a couple minutes and come back to it.

Use the mouse-over the rebase icon for the keyboard shortcut.
Old February 20, 2002, 01:13   #154
Jodo Kast
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:35
NO ERRORS HERE
The NoCD Patch works good for 1.17f and eliminated the problem finding the CD I bought with my hard-earned cash.

Everything else seems to be working fine after playing a full AND CHALLENGING game! I have a HP 700MHZ with 320MB and WinME so a pretty standard setup... all-in-one deal.

Why can't Infogrames have a set of 20 hardcore game testers? I nominate Libertarian, Yin26, and the rest to test the game and get this game FIXED!

Why? We need Multiplayer now!!! Stop fixing stupid 'pre-gold edition' bugs. It's embarassing for everyone!

Old February 20, 2002, 04:50   #155
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 21:35
Come across a bug last night .. but was not able to re-create it by re-loading the auto ..

My machine is a p4, 2Ghz 256Mb Ram, running XP-HE. I installed the patch the other day so im now running 1.17f.

I started as the persians, large map, 5 civs on warlord (ok I wanted an easy game ) ..

by the year 2550BC (or around that time) I got a history report, on wealthiest Civs I think .. when this appeared, the music kept repeating the .5sec sample .. the mouse kept stopping, and moving in jerks of 10 seconds on/off .. as if there was another process which had suddenly taken the processor and left everything else struggling to go. It took me ages to get to exit, and it wouldn't .. so I was forced to re-boot.

On re-loading Civ and the game, same problem did not occur.
Old February 20, 2002, 06:06   #156
Encomium
Warlord

ESPIONAGE SCREWUP
The normal costs for Espionage-related actions are ridiculously high for such such problematic and minimally effective functions. I would never even bother with Espionage if I couldn't lower the costs a lot.

Well, I tried to Edit the Diplomats and Spies section of some mods and it appears impossible now to change their much too high costs!!

Bad move Firaxis. I'm going back to 1.16.

Or is this just a bug??
Old February 20, 2002, 08:27   #157
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 22:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Rimpy
More worrisome is the fact that units will appear in a place other than their actual location. A unit will be highlighted (with the white circle) and when I choose "go to" by holding down the mouse button, the path will originate from a completely different location. Sometimes cities will appear to be empty that actually have units, and cities will appear to have units but are actually empty.
That is annoying, I didn't know it was standing right next to an enemy city but instead it showed it was standing right next to, so I chose to move it to the square i actually was standing on which made it walk right next to the city I wanted to attack

If you want to see the bug for yourself I have apllied an save game! You can see the bug at my city situated in north of the northern island

EDIT: It seems like the bug is gone when reloading, I just loaded the game, but I can't find the "fake tank", but you could try it for youself, I think I have 3-4 armies in the game at that time.
Attached Files:
File Type: rar thearmybug.rar (142.6 KB, 4 views)
Old February 20, 2002, 10:41   #158
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:35
I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but the thread is getting kinda long...

I am no longer getting the popup warning when another civ starts a Wonder. Yes, I set up embassies with all my rivals. No warning whatsoever was given (causing some irritation when the AI beat me to Copernicus, Bach's and Leo's).

Has this been changed, or is this a bug?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 20, 2002, 11:00   #159
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Added "Show Wonder Initiation" preference
Goto preferences, near the bottom there is a check box, make sure it is checked blue.
Old February 20, 2002, 11:24   #160
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

ACooper,

Thank you, kind sir. My bad, my stupid. I must've missed that when I read the list of changes.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 20, 2002, 11:47   #161
ACooper
Prince

There are so many preferences that it is hard to keep track. I did this one myself and that is why it sticks in my mind.
Old February 20, 2002, 11:52   #162
Spec
Emperor

Re: Re: * Astonished *
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Well Lib seems happy with it overall, does that say anything to you?
That's impossible man!!
Old February 20, 2002, 11:55   #163
Kiltdown
Settler

More detail on the army group move bug
In my experience (3 times in one game) it happens when you have a combined stack of army contents and army (modern tanks for me). Select a unassociated tank and stack move it, and the unassociated tanks move to their destination, while the army-associated tanks move one tile. The army stays put. In fact, I couldn't get the army to move at all in its emptied state. I recall having trouble moving the tanks away from the army, though I could freely move them back to the army for reloading.

When the tanks are removed from the army, they have full hit points, which I think gives an interesting insight into army dynamics and explains why an army of 4 units with less than 4 hps remaining can exist. When you restore the full hp tanks to the army, the army returns to having less-than-full hps.

I think the partial movement bug also indicates that army moves probably consist of a shuffle of units and army in some bizarre Astaire/Rogers fashion.
Old February 20, 2002, 12:12   #164
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: * Astonished *
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator

That's impossible man!!
Yes I know it's hard to believe, but I actually caught him saying some good things about the new patch, especially the group movement. He sounded down right pleased.
Old February 20, 2002, 12:58   #165
ACooper
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Re: * Astonished *
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Yes I know it's hard to believe, but I actually caught him saying some good things about the new patch, especially the group movement. He sounded down right pleased.
I'll let Lib talk for himself, but it seems he has gone back to his old ways in his recent posts.
Old February 20, 2002, 14:32   #166
Carver
Prince

Re: NO ERRORS HERE
Quote:
Originally posted by Jodo Kast

Why can't Infogrames have a set of 20 hardcore game testers? I nominate Libertarian, Yin26, and the rest to test the game and get this game FIXED!

Really. Why does it seem like this game wasn't play-tested? It's not like they'd actually have to pay anyone. Beer, pizza and an occasional stripper are all I would need to stay locked in a room with Civ.
Old February 20, 2002, 15:29   #167
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

After installing the patch I can no longer access the editor from the start menu. I can however access the editor from "My Computer" and "explore".
Old February 20, 2002, 15:35   #168
geoffbland
Settler

Just playing Persians. Warriors do NOT upgrade.
I have Iron and barracks - but don't get option to upgrade.
Civilopedia says warriors upgrade to immortals.
But I can confirm that they don't.

Mmmm. Just restarted the game next day and now I can upgrade my warriors into Immortals. Maybe it was because I didn't have enough money - 40gp? But doesn't the advisor then say "You haven't enough gold".

Anyway I'm happy now - even with Immortals I'm getting my arse kicked but the Russains & Germans on Emporer level. This is hard!

Last edited by geoffbland; February 21, 2002 at 12:48.
Old February 20, 2002, 15:36   #169
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
After installing the patch I can no longer access the editor from the start menu. I can however access the editor from "My Computer" and "explore".
Just create a shortcut, then move it into

C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\.

If you don't know to make a shortcut, right click on the icon then look for Create Shortcut. It's still on my system, so you probably just had a wierd bug when yuo installed it.
Old February 20, 2002, 16:33   #170
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

1. Has this been fixed in this patch? If not, it needs to. When you capture an enemy city, sometimes you will get unhappiness because the other Civ had performed conscription. This should not be that way, of course, since you did not perform the conscription.
2. We still need a wake all command.
"Wake All" - essentially this would wake all units in that square
Reason - This would improve the time it takes to work with many units later in the game.
3. Also, may I suggest the following method for unit grouping (if there is need for further refinement in the future):
"Group" and "Ungroup" (or "link" and "unlink") - this would allow you to group all units within a square into a "single unit" so to speak. You can then move this group to your destination and select the ungroup command to use the units individually.
Has no advanages. The units are still individual units when attacked.

Cannot attack as a group.
The AI does not use this feature. It's sole purpose is to help the human player get things done faster (with less tedium). Since the AI does not care about tedium it does not need the feature. And whenever an AI encounters a group, they are seen as individual units cause they are.
If you move a group of units into a tile with some other units, you can just hit the group command to group everything in that tile into one.

Reason - It would improve the time it takes to move many units later in the game. Since this method doesn't require any complicated setup process for each "grouping" it could be quickly and repeatedly done in a turn to get things done.
"Group" (workers) - this is not a different command, but for workers, the "group" command needs to work a little differently to be more effective. Whenever there are workers in a group and you tell the group to perform some terrain improvement, one by one, each worker in the group should contribe to the improvement till it is done. Each worker that works on the improvement is effectively removed from the group. Thus, you can move on with what's left in the group to another location and work on more improvements with the remaining workers.
Reason - This would prevent the added tedium of having to ungroup workers or the annoyances of not being able to use all the workers in one turn.
Old February 20, 2002, 18:45   #171
Jrad
Settler

Talk about a skilled Anasazi Village...

IT GAVE ME AN ARMY !?!?!?

It isn't a scenario. I knew expansionist civs got better huts, but this is ridiculous...
Old February 21, 2002, 10:49   #172
gillskill
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

change of government
In my first game post 1.17f, playing as the Egyptians, when I wanted to change government from anarchy to monarchy, and from monarchy to democracy, I chose 'change of government', the message comes up saying that everything is in revolt, and then I immediately get to choose what government I want. All in the same turn - no turn of anarchy. Is this meant to happen (fine by me) or is it a bug?
Old February 21, 2002, 11:08   #173
Libertarian
King

Quote:
I'll let Lib talk for himself, but it seems he has gone back to his old ways in his recent posts.
Actually, I have no recent posts. This is my first post since Ming jacked me up for daring to question how Ironik got away with his famous vulgarity.

At any rate, I'm hanging out at the EU2 site now. There, my very first thread was answered by the lead programmer. I've just bought the game, and it is en route to me. I visit here from time to time out of a morbid curiosity.

I'm glad you're happy, Coop. Of all my adversaries, I respect you the most.
Old February 21, 2002, 11:09   #174
Lucian
Settler

Re: 1.17f Bug Reports
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
"Ask for build orders after unit construction" option no longer works.

Problem was a conflict in options, not a bug. Sorry

(Edited for follow up)
Actually, there *is* a bug here. In 1.16f, you could have both 'Ask for build orders after unit construction' *and* 'Automatically build same unit type' selected, and you would get the pop-up menu with the same unit type selected as the default, which you could then change.

In 1.17f, if you have those two options checked, it doesn't ever ask you about the city, and just keeps churning out the same unit type.

Still better than the original, but I miss the loss of functionality.

-Lucian
Old February 21, 2002, 11:24   #175
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
At any rate, I'm hanging out at the EU2 site now. There, my very first thread was answered by the lead programmer. I've just bought the game, and it is en route to me. I visit here from time to time out of a morbid curiosity.

So long, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old February 21, 2002, 11:27   #176
Willem
Emperor

Re: change of government
Quote:
Originally posted by gillskill
In my first game post 1.17f, playing as the Egyptians, when I wanted to change government from anarchy to monarchy, and from monarchy to democracy, I chose 'change of government', the message comes up saying that everything is in revolt, and then I immediately get to choose what government I want. All in the same turn - no turn of anarchy. Is this meant to happen (fine by me) or is it a bug?
The earlier in the game that you switch governments, the less time you spend in Anarchy. I've had a few games where I'd get Monarchy from some hut right off the bat, and it didn't take very long at all to switch over.
Old February 21, 2002, 11:28   #177
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Re: change of government
Quote:
Originally posted by gillskill
Sounds like you were playing a civ with religious civilization strength. They switch on the following turn.

Jeff
Old February 21, 2002, 11:47   #178
gillskill
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

But I'm sure there used to be 1 turn of anarchy. This time there is none - just an immediate change IN THE SAME TURN!
Old February 21, 2002, 11:54   #179
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: change of government
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS

Sounds like you were playing a civ with religious civilization strength. They switch on the following turn.

Jeff
Jeff, please don't run away. Could you please clarify this fix regarding government buildings? Does this mean that gov specific buildings only work with the gov selected or is it something else entirely? The readme isn't exactly clear on what the fix does.
Old February 21, 2002, 12:06   #180
Libertarian
King

Quote:
So long, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Why so nice? You're a Civ3 supporter; you may hurl curses at me if you wish.