Old February 14, 2002, 23:10   #1
Coinich
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Akhenaten the 384th
This story is from the continuation of the game, which gave me the storyline for the “Canton National Historical Battlefield” thread. I hope you enjoy it.

+++ Coronation Day – 1860 AD +++

“In the name of the supreme god Horus, and the peoples of Egypt, it is my distinct honor and extreme pleasure to crown you Pharaoh Akhenaten, the Divine god, Right Worshipful and Most Honorable. 384th to carry the name. President of Mainland and Eastern Egypt. Ruler of the Subjugated Races. Enlightener of the Chinese. Great Lion of Egypt. Commander of the Glorious Armies of Egypt. Support of the Realm. The Just, the Great, the All-Seeing, and All-Merciful. May you live forever!” spoke Mamose, 75th Chief Lord High Justice of the Egyptian Supreme Court, as he bowed in obsescience to the newly crowned god-king. Similar accolades and praises had accompanied the coronation of all Pharaoh’s throughout history, even though some of them weren’t applicable, or earned, by the serving Pharaoh.

Akhenaten arose, and once again surveyed the majestic sea of people in front of him. He stood silent, disbelieving that he had been elected Pharaoh-for-life of the greatest nation in the entire world. Born in New Heliopolis, on the island of Madagascar, he had only known war and hard-times, growing up on the seemingly forgotten “backwater” isle of the Egyptian Democratic Republic. Amid the uproar of the prolonged adulation of the assembled throngs, Ahkenaten continued to lose himself in thought. A smile broke past his thin, tightly closed lips, as he thought about what was in store for his Egypt! In his minds-eye, he quickly reviewed the unlikely chain of events that led him to the most powerful office in the world, President of Egypt.

Thirty years ago he had been a Colonel, in command of the 1st Infantry Division of the New Heliopolis Home Guard, when the Persian’s had come. They had shown up along the northern shores of Madagascar. There were more galleons and frigates than he had ever seen in his entire life. The invasion force arrayed against the little island of Madagascar was larger than the entire Egyptian navy. His heart sank as the Persian troops offloaded, unopposed, onto sovereign Egyptian soil. Their numbers were staggering. Three elite Warrior brigades, two Longbowman brigades, three Immortal Swordsman brigades, and two Riflemen brigades. He had, of course, immediately mobilized his division, the only military unit on the island. At least his men had been trained for a strong defensive position, he postulated, as they began deploying, for real, all the plans they had practiced for all these years, never believing an attack could possibly happen.

His mind raced forward. The end result of the Persian sneak-attack upon New Heliopolis was the utter destruction of all attacking Persian forces. His heart still swelled with pride at the memories of the fallen comrades that died that month, and of the Herculean efforts of those who defended the city and island he loved. Pharaoh Akhenaten the 382nd had awarded him the Gold of Valor for his inspirational leadership during those hellish days. He then thought of his retirement from the Home Guard, and subsequent decision to enter into public service. He was a natural for election as the Mayor of New Heliopolis, and he used that office as a springboard to be elected to the Governorship of the Province of Madagascar. Public office suited him, for although he was considered an ultra right-wing conservative by most, he still continued to worm his way through the machinations of Egyptian politics. After serving only one term as Governor, he remembered the heady days of being elected to the Egyptian Senate and moving to Thebes. And now, to have handily beaten his Liberty Party opponent in the presidential election, he found himself in a position to espouse the moral values of the Hawk Party and make a difference for the betterment of Egypt. He had only been a senator for three years when Akhenaten the 383rd had finally died, after twenty-seven long years in office, fighting a cancer that had consumed him. Now here he stood. He shook himself away from his reminiscing and came back to hear the still-cheering crowds. It was then that Mamose broke the god-king’s concentration, and motioned for him to step-up to the podium to deliver his coronation address. Akhenaten walked deliberately to the podium. It was strange to see the silver microphone, and even stranger, he thought to himself, to talk into it. “Incredible”, he thought silently as he began to speak to the assembled crowds, while his voice was carried across the entirety of Egypt via the newly discovered science of radio waves.

(To be continued)
Old February 15, 2002, 14:28   #2
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:37
My whole family is gathered in my living room to hear the speech since i'm the only one who has a radio.
Let the man speak!
Old February 16, 2002, 00:36   #3
Coinich
Chieftain

Richelieu – Sorry, but you’ll have to play along and pretend you heard the speech.

+++ The Palace Situation Room – two weeks later +++

“Yes, Pharaoh” said the Chamberlain as he bowed, walking backward in reverence to the god-king. Pharaoh began walking down the corridor. “Walk with me!” Akhenaten motioned to General Lostris, Great Lioness of Egypt and Commander of the Armies of Egypt. “Are you and the army with me General?” he whispered in soft tones to Lostris. She nodded almost imperceptibly. “I will need your support today. Thank you.” He continued. Lostris broke away and went toward the entrance of the Palace Situation Room. He waited outside for a few moments, to allow Lostris time to get to her position, and then he opened the door. All around the elongated conference table stood the principle players of Akhenaten’s most trusted inner circle of advisors. There was Vice President Bezel, General Lostris, Tanus - the Homeland Security Advisor, Grand Admiral Harab - Great Lion of Egypt and Commander of the Egyptian Navy, General Kerh - also a Great Lion of Egypt and Commander of the newly formed Egyptian Air Force, Tesher – from the recently formed Ministry of Internal Security, and Horumheb – the Grand Vizier. He stood next to his chair and said, “Please be seated everyone.”

He started, “As you are all aware, Egypt has seen nothing but a corrosive decay and erosion, both in the security of the motherland, and the integrity of it’s elected leadership.” “I’m telling you people, THIS IS GOING TO STOP NOW!”, he yelled. I’ve now been in office for two weeks. I’ve had time to familiarize myself with the current state of governmental affairs. Let me give you people a quick lesson on Egyptian history from MY perspective, so we will all be talking the same language when I’m through!” He continued, “Two Pharaoh’s and fifty eight years have gone by during my lifetime. Akhenaten the 382nd had a reign of peaceful prosperity which was characterized by sincere cultural growth, yet still tempered by the lessons learned from the Greek sneak-attack some two-hundred years before. He kept the army built-up, and fortified in locations that were strategically positioned to respond to any immediate threat to the motherland. However”, he said as looked at Admiral Harab, “in his last years he undertook tremendous efforts to not upset the citizenry. One of these initiatives was to reduce the size of the military, and in particular, the Navy.” He looked at General Lostris, “Our country was sitting like a fattened pig, waiting for the inevitable slaughter. My predecessor’s eyes were blinded by the prosperity of the country”. He began pacing, “Shortly after 383 took over, the Persian’s decided to try and take a slice of the pie of prosperity from Egypt. Their attack was landed in MY backyard. While Egyptian citizens were laughing in the streets of Thebes and other mainland cities, my women were being raped, and my men slaughtered by Persian swords. When appeals were made to Pharaoh, they were met with idle words. As you know, the shipyards were all but shutdown and the military factories were producing bon-bons and liquors for the enjoyment of the mainland crowds. Again, my homeland was pillaged. Mines destroyed, our livelihoods snatched from under us. So weak was 383’s leadership that my island was forced to fight, single-handedly, against the Persian occupation forces for twenty-two years! It is only through the selfless sacrifices of those fine Madagascarian men that New Heliopolis still remains an Egyptian city, and Madagascar a province. Sure, 383 realized the threat Persia posed to Egypt, but he was woefully unprepared. By the time any destroyers or battleships could be produced, the Persian Navy owned, and dominated, the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. Their troop transports ran unopposed. And two years ago, when only four cities have anti-war protests, he caves in to their demands, and negotiates a peace treaty with Persia.” His face was red. All present could see he was having difficulty maintaining a calm composure. He stopped pacing, grabbed the closest seatback and leaned forward, saying coldly and deliberately, “Read my lips… there will be no peace with Persia as long as I am alive! We will eliminate them as a race!” The reaction around the room was better than expected. The only one who voiced any concern was the Horumheb, the Grand Vizier. He congratulated himself on picking such a professional and loyal group of advisors. He also appreciated Horumheb, because he knew he needed someone to keep his passions in check. He was satisfied that he could get his bill passed before the Senate, during their next session.

(To be continued)
Old February 16, 2002, 02:46   #4
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Local Time: 14:37
Eh? If you can, slaughter nations ASAP...

They tend to go far away, and not bug you for a while... Plus, they get in the way of others for you.

Nice story, BTW. Quite entertaining to say the least!

Go Racial Cleansing!
Old February 21, 2002, 16:53   #5
Coinich
Chieftain

+++ August, 1862 – New Jinjan Province, Democratic Republic of Egypt +++

The four turboprop engines of the lumbering transport were being sequentially shut down as the “Ruler of the Subjugated Races”, Akhenaten the 384th disembarked the plane, General Lostris not far behind. He was astonished at the blast of heat and humidity that hit him. “By the foul breath of Seth, how could anyone bear to live here”, he thought to himself. He was greeted, at the bottom of the airstairs, by the new provincial governor, and his entourage, including the newly installed Mayor of Jinjan and the Home Guard Commander of Jinjan province. He dispensed with the required social niceties and then boarded an enclosed Army jeep. He kept quiet and to himself as the presidential convoy moved-out toward the city of Jinjan. He wasn’t in the mood for social protocols, he wanted to see the results of the latest Egyptian Army efforts.

As the convoy sped it’s way through the short, jungle-filled, distance between the airbase and the city proper, he began to wonder if he should rescind his order to keep the city intact and instead raze it to the ground. “Ah well, what’s done is done”, he mused. His intentions were to present the Gold of Valor to several officers of the Army, who had won the spirited campaign for Jinjan against the Persian infidels. General Lostris had been the one to break the news to him that this large Persian city, on the Java Peninsula, had been captured, thereby opening the gateway for Egyptian troops to advance upon the Persian continent of Australia. The victory had not been without its price, but those fine fighting men had defeated the five battalions of Persian Riflemen units and had employed, for the first time in battle, those luscious metal beasts called tanks. “What a great victory”, he smiled as he thought. But clearly the best part of the whole Jinjan campaign was the fact that the combined arms of the Egyptian Navy, Air Force, and Army team had managed to blockade ten squadrons of Persian warships-of-the-line, in the port of Jinjan. So swift had their victory been that they were able to sink each and every ship. So dedicated were his generals, that before his order to attempt to capture any ships was received, they had already begun the destruction of those vessels, to ensure they would never maraud Egyptian shores and shipping again. Eyewitness accounts said that the fires from the ships were so high, they could be seen for miles around the city. The Persian Navy, once the scourge of the seas, and bane of many Egyptian merchants and naval officers, had been nearly reduced in size by half in one day. “Yes, there would be several Gold of Valor issued today”, he muttered to himself. As they drove through the war-torn city of Jinjan, toward the military base on the outskirts of the opposite side, the Persian citizens of Jinjan either stared blankly at the passing convoy, or were booing, shouting obscenities, or burning Egyptian flags. “They will soon learn the benefits of being Egyptian subjects”, he said to Lostris off-handedly. “They are ignorant now, but will be enlightened with time. They will see that this was clearly their best option for survival as a people”. Lostris nodded with approval. “Yes, majesty”, was all she could manage to say.

(To be continued)
Old February 22, 2002, 18:28   #6
Coinich
Chieftain

+++ March, 1876 – Elephantine Ordnance Test Range (EOTR) +++

The outdoor grandstands were filled with the who’s-who of Egyptian politics and the top brass of the Egyptian military. The EOTR was the Army’s ultra-secret R&D base in the middle of the Sahara Desert. As Pharaoh arrived, the usual accolades were given and he assumed his seat for the test demonstration. General Kerh, Great Lion of Egypt and Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, began a quick science lecture on the basics of aerodynamics and rocket flight. Most of the crowd were interested, some were there more to show-face than anything. General Kerh finished his speech and then beckoned the “Commander of the Armies of Egypt” to a test panel set-up to monitor the demonstration.

Pharaoh, now 78 years old, had some trouble getting to the podium, but still managed quite well for his years. He pushed the large button and all of the nearby loudspeakers began playing a klaxon alarm, followed by a voice. “A Bastet class rocket test is in progress. Stay clear of the launch area. Rocket will launch in 10 seconds …9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1…liftoff.” A mighty roar came from a nearby underground bunker. Smoke billowed skyward as the rocket rose thunderously out of the bunker and jetted skyward. The noise and speed were alarming to most of the onlookers, who just stared at the machine with jaws agape. Pharaoh was beside himself with pleasure. He was in awe, just like a schoolboy.

After the launch was completed, and the rocket had disappeared from visual sight, Pharaoh started excitedly talking with General Kerh. The General was answering his majesty’s questions, when the loudspeaker squawked again saying “Stay well clear of the detonation zone, rocket test is in progress. Stay well clear of the detonation zone!”. General Kerh interrupted his discussions with Pharaoh and pointed the god-king to a small village in the distance. He then garnered the attention of all present and directed them to a spot in the distant desert, which contained a small, fake, village with several old tanks and cars parked within.

The crowd watched in amazement as the missile came back into view from over-the-horizon, and then went momentarily vertical over the village, and then dove straight down and slammed into the middle of the village. The flash of light - brilliant, the noise - devastating, the crowd – mesmerized. When the smoke cleared, the level of destruction was obvious and complete. Pharaoh turned to Kerh, “How long to mass-produce these things for battle against the Persian vermin?”, he demanded. Kerh began rattling off timelines and costs. Pharaoh nodded. “We must have them as soon as possible. Keep up the good work General!”, and with that he turned and slowly left the podium.

As he was walking toward the presidential limousine, he motioned for Tanus, the Homeland Security Advisor, who had flown in from Thebes to witness the spectacle, to follow him. He dutifully took to his side. “What is the status of the mainland cities Tanus?” Pharaoh asked. “Majesty”, he replied, “The populous continues to riot and stage civil disobedience demonstrations in almost every city on the mainland. The police and Home Guard units are doing all they can to control them and we continue to try to find more activities to distract them, but the cost in production is extreme sir.” He continued, “At the risk of offending you, majesty, the people are beyond dispair with the length of the war with Persia. We must stop the war. That is the only thing that will stop the protests”. Tanus almost cowered as he walked with Pharaoh. “Continue the good work Tanus, you must convince the people that purging Persia from the globe and incorporating them into the enlightened ways of Egypt is their only possibility.” “I will, of course, always quell the domestic insurrection, if it remains his majesty’s wish”, said Tanus. “It is!”, said Pharaoh. Tanus bowed in obsesciense and backed away from the “Support of Egypt”, Akhenaten the 384th. When Pharaoh was out-of-sight, he let out a sigh and shook his head. He called-out to his aide, "Get General Lostris on the radio!"

(To be continued)
Old February 22, 2002, 19:09   #7
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:37
General Lostris ?
I know i've seen that name before...
Old February 22, 2002, 20:05   #8
Coinich
Chieftain

END OF AN ERA – A DAY OF MOURNING

+++ 16 September, 1876, Antioch, former city of the Republic of Persia +++

The word was out that Pharaoh was visiting the front lines in the war against Persia. He had come to Antioch because it had just been defeated in battle and overtaken two-days prior. Antioch was in Australia, near Lake Eyre. This is where the fighting was. Pharaoh had been talking to the troops to reassure them that, despite the rumors of domestic insurrection and civil disobedience in mainland cities, all was well and the rumors were truly blown-out-of-proportion. The boys in the front had also heard that there was such an economic stranglehold, caused by the rioting, that tank and infantry production had slowed to almost a crawl, which meant the promised reinforcements were not coming as planned. Once again, Pharaoh entreated the men to keep fighting against the evil Persians and leave the governing to him. After all, he had done wonderful things for the military during the 16 years he had been in power! Most of the troops were mollified and inspired by his speeches and battlefield charisma.

As dusk fell, the President and his party ate with the troops and then they retired to their respective tents. General Lostris was summoned to Pharaoh’s tent. As she sat, the two old friends began a dialogue.

Lostris: “How are you this evening majesty?”
Pharaoh: “I’m doing great Lostris. I’m glad to be here where the fight is going on. It’s where the leader should be. Listen, I need to let you know that reinforcements will not be coming on schedule. The damn people of Egypt, whom I have personally dedicated my life to, have stabbed me in the back with their treasonous rioting and the production of arms has slowed down considerably. Sometimes I even feel safer, here on the front lines.”
Lostris: “I have heard of this slowdown majesty. May I speak bluntly?” Pharaoh nodded, “We have overextended ourselves with what we have. Yes, our troops may go on fighting and winning, but we don’t hardly have enough units to cover the defense of those cities that we do conquer. Sure we can raze them on our way through, but that goes contrary to the Senatorial Order, which prohibits the wanton destruction of Persian assets and people. We are incorporating them into our culture, or so we say. My troops spend more time in policing roles than they do offensively. I have four tank regiments involved in homeland defense, for Horus’ sake!”
Pharaoh: Interrupting, “By taking Antioch, we have split the Persian continent in half and they are weakened. They can’t even field a military unit. The country is ours for the taking. We only need a few more years to accomplish the supreme task I have undertaken!”
Lostris: “Pharaoh, we simply don’t have the assets to do what you ask right now. In two more years, there won’t be any cities on the mainland to fight for, at the current rate of destruction! I implore you to reconsider, swallow your pride, and call Xerxes. Declare peace! It will placate the people and allow time for a military buildup to strike the final blow against the Persians.”
Pharaoh: “Lostris, I cannot believe what I’m hearing from you. Such a defeatist attitude! I cannot, and will not, stop this war. The Persians must be conquered.” An extremely long pause followed, as both considered their positions.
Lostris: “Sir, you once said that there will be no peace with Persia as long as you are alive”, she said matter-of-factly.
Pharaoh: “Yes I did”, he said hesitantly.

“Well then, in order for there to be peace… you need to be dead, right?” Lostris asked coldly. Pharaoh suddenly felt his heart jump into his throat. “What was she saying?”, he thought. “Surely she didn’t intend to kill him, did she?” His mind was racing. He looked Lostris dead in the eyes. He could see her intentions. “Guards!”, he shrieked. “Guards!” Time went into slow motion as Pharaoh Akhenaten, 384th to carry the name, Guardian of Egypt, Support of the Realm, Commander of the Armies of Egypt, saw General Lostris draw her sidearm. As she was taking her aim at Pharaoh, she simply said, “I do this for the greater good of Egypt”. And then, with the experience of many years, the barrel did not waver as she began firing into the Presidents body. His body danced as she kept shooting him with round after round. Finally, as the guards were opening the tent door, she smiled as she put the hot barrel of her gun in her own mouth, and pulled the trigger.

The End!
Old February 22, 2002, 20:09   #9
Coinich
Chieftain

Richelieu: Some of the names I got from the book entitled River God, by Wilbur A. Smith. Good read and lots of ancient Egyptian theme material. Lostris was the name of the queen in the book, but I made her a General here.

Hope you enjoyed the story line.

Coinich
Old February 23, 2002, 13:00   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

no offense, but i think its a bit stupid

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old February 23, 2002, 15:32   #11
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

A bit of an awkward ending to it, but it does show that one mans desires does not reflect what his people want.