Old February 15, 2002, 21:01   #1
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Teach Siro how to drink alcoholic beverages
Well, it's a fact.

Teens begin drinking before they are legally allowed to.

Until this day I've stuck to my decision not to drink at all. I want to be responsible for myself and my behaviour and be in control.

However, lately I've decided that it's time for me to slowly start drinking.

On thursday I've attended a party where a drank some half of a small glass of vodka.

I felt in control and was in control.

Later I drank one or two more sips. I feeled I became more drunk, and following that I restricted myself and acted much more "in control" than before, and than when I'm sober, since I didn't wanna lose risking control.

Why am I here?

I want you, beer (or gin and brandy) bellies of apolyton, to share some tips.

What to drink and how much?

What not to drink? What not to mix?

What to do against a hang over?

What to do against a serious intoxication?

and all small tips you may find usefull.
Old February 15, 2002, 21:02   #2
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:39
You had three sips of vodka and felt drunk?
Old February 15, 2002, 21:09   #3
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Rule #3
Never mix grape with grain.
Old February 15, 2002, 21:23   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Don't hold onto "control" consciously. If you're losing it, you've had enough (unless you want to get absolutely ****ered). If you're just starting, don't start on Vodka.
Old February 15, 2002, 21:26   #5
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:39
Re: Rule #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
Hear hear! It's not nice according to some friends of mine.
Old February 15, 2002, 21:34   #6
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 15:39
Quote:

I'll support that also.

Moderation.

Drink lots of water and take some vitamins, B complex before sleep. It won't eliminate it but it will help.

RAH

remember the grape and grain thing.
Old February 15, 2002, 21:40   #7
August Borms
Prince

Re: Teach Siro how to drink alcoholic beverages
Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Depends on how many shekels you have in your wallet
I usually drink 5-6 litres of cheap beer for the same price as a 25cl Wodka bottle from the 7-11.

Quote:
That's easy: drink litres of water and wait till you're not so drunk anymore before you go to sleep. Alternatively, you could try vomitting but I dont do that because I almost get panic attacks if I have to puke

Quote:
If you ever had anal fissure I advise you not to eat too much while you're drunk. Turds created while you were drunk(=dehydrated) are very dry and hard as rocks and can cause anal wounds (=immense, burning pain while on the toilet; sharp, annoying pain the rest of the day) which can take a while (days, weeks...) to cure.
Old February 15, 2002, 21:49   #8
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 20:39
Doesn't seem like that much vodka, I drank 3/4 of a bottle before we went out in Amsterdam a coupla days ago to save money in bars.

I used to like alcopops, but they don't do enough - I now just tend to drink 'em as 'in-between' drinks.

I don't like beer or lager, makes me feel sick.

It was cool to have my first legal drink in Amsterdam (though of course it wasn't my first drink).
Old February 15, 2002, 22:42   #9
C0ckney
King

For some reason my tolerance for Vodka is much higher than that for beer, with beer I usually feel pretty 'merry' after 5-6 pints, to get the 'argh my head, what the **** did I drink last night' experience it takes about 10-12 pints. With Vodka I can drink it like water almost, my friends couldn't believe it when I downed a 75cl bottle, I had a few problems with things like walking and talking for the rest of the night but I got pissed for free

Siro, my advice to you as a fellow underage drinker is to start on things like beer, a few beers with your mates is an enjoyable way to spend an evening, if you want to get wasted spirits are the way to go, cheaper than beer usually and less to throw up or **** in the morning.

Find and learn your personal limits for alcohol, I'm guessing yours is quite low as you felt tipsy with 3 sips of Vodka

Don't pretend to be sober when you're drunk a) it fools no one b) there isn't much point getting drunk only to spend the rest of evening pretending otherwise.

Listen to those who warned you about grape and grain

For hangovers, IMO nothing does the trick like orange juice, a couple of glasses of that washed down with some water before you go to bed, you'll be up peeing half the night but at least you won't have a nasty headache.

If you've been out drinking a lot of beer, make sure you reserve a place on the loo for early the next morning, you will need it!

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old February 15, 2002, 23:17   #10
David Floyd
Emperor

Yeah, definitely drink a lot of water.

I got started on Vodka too, by the way.

I would advise getting into a controlled environment, with some friends with experience, and just getting totally shitfaced beyond belief. If you puke fine, whatever, all you're doing is discovering your limits. That is really important to do, IMO.
Old February 15, 2002, 23:36   #11
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"Teach Siro how to drink alcoholic beverages"

If you want to know how not to, ask Hydey.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 15, 2002, 23:37   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:39
Did someone mention to drink lots of water??

Drink lots of water!!

Dehydration is your main enemy when drinking, so make like every second drink water and you shouldn't have any problems. Unless you get shattered. Have some friends you trust with you, and that won't be a problem either.
Old February 15, 2002, 23:50   #13
reds4ever
Prince

take 2 asprin before you go to bed.
Old February 15, 2002, 23:57   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:39
A friend of mine used to be fond of saying, "It's the impurities that cause hangovers, not alcohol."

It's very easy to get a buzz with beer since all the fizz causes your stomach to absorb alcohol faster.

When you start to feel lightheaded it's usually time to stop.

Wine is nice too. Chilled whites for the summer and reds for other seasons.

Also, don't forget to drink lots of water.
Old February 16, 2002, 00:01   #15
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
A friend of mine used to be fond of saying, "It's the impurities that cause hangovers, not alcohol."
very true, stick to the 'clear' spirits, you'll still be drunk but you'll feel better the next day!!
Old February 16, 2002, 00:26   #16
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
If you're drinking hard liquor, do not sip! Either do straight shots (with a moderate time in between shots so that you know how much the last shot has affected you), or don't drink hard liquor; at least, that's the rule I follow. If you do shots then you know exactly how much you're drinking and if you wait in between shots then you know exactly how much each shot is affecting you, so you know when to stop. If you sip a glass of mixed hard liquor, on the other hand, it leaks into you more slowly (and you have a harder time figuring out how drunk you're becoming), you feel compelled to finish the entire glass even if it's too much for you to handle (at least, my friends and I feel compelled), and it's easy to lose track of how much you've drunk (or it's easy to fool yourself). Either stick to beer, or stick to shots; don't go halfway with mixed drinks, or you're asking for trouble.
Old February 16, 2002, 00:32   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:39
That id have to, well not disagree with, but share my experiences...

When I drink, its almost exclusively bourbon, with a few rum's or vodka's when I feel like it. Never had a hang-over, but that could be attributed to me heavily drinking water as well throughout the night.
Old February 16, 2002, 04:27   #18
lightblue
Warlord

Start slowly, as people have been saying. Before I went to university, I hardly ever drank more than 3-4 pints of beer, though I did the get drunk 'till you puke a couple of times as well (once on vodka, once whilst drinking wine like it was beer).

Then I came to England... and probably ended up averaging a dozen pints with about ten shots during my first year.

About the grain and grape thing: as long as you drink beer first and wine second you should be fine. One of the main rules for me is to build up the alcohol content over the night. So beer first, mixed shots second, then straight. This decreases the volume you're drinking and makes it less likely that you'll puke.

I usually try to get to a certain level fast, and then keep it there by occasionally partaking of a few shots.

Whatever you do resist the temptation to have a greasy takeaway on your way home. I find this is the main cause of hangovers. I don't drink water on the night, but only once I've come home, so that I've sobered up a bit.

If you lie down and your room is spinning, get a bucket ready, as you're likely to
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old February 16, 2002, 04:41   #19
Solly
Emperor

Re: Teach Siro how to drink alcoholic beverages
Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
That's totally down to your tolerance level - some people are born with it, some have to work at it. At 17, I knew that anything over 5 pints would send me rushing to the toilet once I got home.

Now I can get into double figures and be able to cope. Not that I recommend doing this...

Quote:
What not to drink? What not to mix?
Unlike others here, I have always thought the discussion about mixing was a totally fallacious one. What gets you drunk is the alcohol, what doesn't get you drunk is the liquid said alcohol is immersed. It's alcohol whether you're drinking wine, beer or spirits.

Keep track of the quantity of alcohol you're drinking and don't worry about mixing.

The main reason people tend to think mixing is bad is that on a drinking night if you start mixing, it probably means you're drinking too much anyway. A few beers, a few doubles, a cocktail or two - if you'd drunk all that alcohol quantity in beer, you would be just as drunk.

Quote:
Stay awake while drunk. It's better to feel tired the day after than hungover.

This way you can get water back into your system without having to down pints of it (which may not be what your stomach feels like..). Also, I've found it's easier to avoid puking if you're up-and-about doing something like posting on Apolyton, than if you lie in bed with all the lights off and allow the room to swim above you.

Quote:
What to do against a serious intoxication?
Make a mental note of what you're drinking...it's not as easy as you think to get badly drunk.

Quote:
Have fun, and save it for the weekends.
Old February 16, 2002, 04:48   #20
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 14:39
put alcohol in glass

bring glass to lips

tip glass back till liquid enters math

return galss to upright position while swallowing

repeat

Jon Miller
Old February 16, 2002, 05:49   #21
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Dont drink too much in the first time. I remember myself waking up on the grass with all the food I ate earlier around me.
Old February 16, 2002, 06:36   #22
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Eat before, and after. Particularly food with a fat and sugar content. Few things are better to start you off than a thick milk shake.

If you ever find yourself finishing a drink and immediately thinking "I shouldn't have had that one", just put your fingers down your throat and save yourself grief in the long run.

Drink as much as you want to- ignore peer pressure.
Old February 16, 2002, 06:58   #23
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Vodka is ~35-40% alcohol
Quote:
With Vodka I can drink it like water almost, my friends couldn't believe it when I downed a 75cl bottle
Downed in one go?

If yes that is equivalent to ~10-15 pints of lager or ~3 bottles of wine. I seriously doubt you could down it and not be sick let alone feel fine for the rest of the night, considering your age/drinking experience.

Unless of course you are a fat bastard of 300lbs.
Old February 16, 2002, 07:13   #24
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

I once made the 10-minute walk to the off-licence and bought a half-bottle of Smirnoff, which I drank on the walk back. Then I drank a bottle of "Diamond White" cider. An hour later I passed out and was unconscious for the next six hours.

That's a realistic account of drinking.
Old February 16, 2002, 08:50   #25
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Someone should have told me that last night.

We've got both kinds
Old February 16, 2002, 10:28   #26
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Mixing grapes and grain is fine, otherwise the makers of Alpen would have gone bust years ago.
Old February 16, 2002, 13:53   #27
Bereta_Eder
Settler

_ don't be such a control freak 'cause once you'll lose it you'll go off the wall

_try not to mix drinks. if you drink vodka, then stick with it don't go changing to scotch or whatever

_it's better not to drink to get drunk, drink when with friends to have a good time, don;t have an aim to get drunk

_now thy limitations (although that can be achieved only through experience)

_if you drink AND eat, you will get drunk slowly and not so heavily (of course you can do that in a taverna not a stinking club, bar or whatever)

_ before going to bed drink lots of water NEVER go to bed without drinking lots of water after you've drunk, when you wake up drink some more water, eat something with vinegar (like vinegar grapes or tabasco) to take the alcohol taste away, eat lightly and it's best to eat something like pasta or other foods that are made from this incedient

_if you don't want to get drunk no matter what or how much you drink, drink one large spoon of olive oil before going out. that way you are drunk - free

cheers from Dionysos
Old February 16, 2002, 14:35   #28
Bereta_Eder
Settler

and risking to sound like an orthodox jew (or whatever is the equivalant of a very conservative type)
if you're young errr don't drink (I mean noone is forcing you, including yourself)
Old February 16, 2002, 15:29   #29
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Hey where the fook is everybody?

Did the whole world got blown away and Greece still stands?
Typical.
Old February 16, 2002, 16:17   #30
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Haven't been able to log-in all day. Although that may just have been the cache playing up.

What's with the olive oil?
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara