Old February 15, 2002, 23:02   #1
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What they really should have done with stacking and armies
Instead of making leaders or a war academy a prerequisite for armies, they should have made those combat modifiers. For example you include a leader in an army it fights better, recovers faster, whatever.

Anyone should be able to build armies at no cost, and as many as you like - subject to the economic limits of your civ.

The only restriction on armies should have been the number of units you can put in them - which should grow larger as you move through history.

Even the ancient Numidian tribes could build an army for Christ's sake. (ask the Egyptians)

So simple! Why oh why not?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 15, 2002, 23:06   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes it would be so much more realistic having a few armies rather than having hundreds of units milling about, armies should be more powerful than the same units individually, cost nothing or little to build, and have modest prequisites. This would make stacked movement less of a problem and be more realistic overall IMHO.
Old February 15, 2002, 23:27   #3
Zanzin
Prince

Re: What they really should have done with stacking and armies
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Instead of making leaders or a war academy a prerequisite for armies, they should have made those combat modifiers. For example you include a leader in an army it fights better, recovers faster, whatever.

Anyone should be able to build armies at no cost, and as many as you like - subject to the economic limits of your civ.

The only restriction on armies should have been the number of units you can put in them - which should grow larger as you move through history.

Even the ancient Numidian tribes could build an army for Christ's sake. (ask the Egyptians)

So simple! Why oh why not?
Because to have CTP-esque system would have made Firaxis look like they were taking an idea from an "inferior" game...it simply wouldn't have worked with their egos the way they are. Firaxis are too proud to admit that possibly some other company could have come up with a better way of implementing a particular game system (like combat) than them.
Old February 15, 2002, 23:30   #4
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Re: What they really should have done with stacking and armies
Quote:
Originally posted by Zanzin
Because to have CTP-esque system would have made Firaxis look like they were taking an idea from an "inferior" game...it simply wouldn't have worked with their egos the way they are. Firaxis are too proud to admit that possibly some other company could have come up with a better way of implementing a particular game system (like combat) than them.

I was thinking along the same lines as well.
Vanity is perhaps the most commen of all the deadly sins.

Old February 15, 2002, 23:40   #5
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I tend to think the same - they decided to differentiate the game from CTP by ignoring perhaps its best feature.

How dumb is that!

Another factor seems to be there was noone on the civ III design team who knew the first thing about military history. Don't get me started on the fact that planes can't destroy ships

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?