Old September 20, 2000, 16:52   #1
Bohlen
Prince

Local Time: 17:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Just how much sleep has been lost?
Civ2 has helped me turn into a pseudo-insomniac and I know I can't be the only one. The countless, "Just one more turn," muttered from my lips at 1am on a week night has become commonplace.

So I had to ask myself: How much sleep do I lose that is directly related to staying up too late and playing Civ for "just one more turn?"

I'd have to say on average, 4 hours a week; that's 208 hours a year, which equates to 26 full nights of sleep at 8 hours each! Hell, that's almost the whole month of February! So I'm losing about a month's worth of sleep a year? Help!!!!

Please tell me that I'm not alone......
Old September 20, 2000, 17:59   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:43
You're not!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
Old September 20, 2000, 18:54   #3
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How deep is the ocean? How wide the sky? And other such equally valid imponderables.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old September 21, 2000, 05:20   #4
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

But Bohlen, if you went to bed on time, you would still lose sleep worrying about the gane position and trying to plan your next turns, and, as the "you know you're addicted" thread shows, you will be dreaming about it no matter how much sleep you get. So just keep civin'!
Old September 21, 2000, 05:42   #5
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

I lost lose tons of sleep in the old days. The day I got it I stayed up all that night, and all the next night without sleep (I took about five hours off to go for a date on the second evening, I expect I was sparkeling company).
That why I now play speed civ. Get a chess clock, or something to perform a similer role, and try and win by any method (except the cheat menu) within whatever time limit suits your ability. If you want a benchmark I've managed Diety, Huge and Hordes with an AC win in four and a half hours. When you play at that speed it feels like an RTS!
Also you get to go to bed knowing you've played a whole game and all at a sensible hour. Also, you've wrapped it up so there is no 'hmm, what next?' wakefulness, a little 'maybe I should have....' but to be honest, most of it is a blur. Also its exhausting.

Try it and claim back your slumbers!
Old September 21, 2000, 07:20   #6
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Going to bed doesn't solve anything. You just play in your dreams. The terrible part is that the turn never ends; the map just starts to get vague after an hour or so!
Old September 21, 2000, 08:08   #7
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

I too have lost quite a few hours to the mantra "just one more turn" complemented by "if i get up 10 minutes later i can still get 2 hrs sleep tonight" On the other hand, occasionally my body would go into disorder and I would sleep an extra 10 hours. More than once I have lain down for "just a quick nap" in the afternoon and awaken fo find the sun shining the next day. So while i have lost countless hours of sleep, I have also had several makeup days
-------------------
sleep is a luxury, and I don't have Shakespeare's Theater in my back yard
Old September 21, 2000, 23:43   #8
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 16:43
hehehe I used to play till 1am on work nights and till 3 and 4am on weekends from the time I first got civ MPG back in December of 98 till this summer when I slowed waay down on my civ playing. Actually I haven't played civ at all this month What's wrong with me????
Old September 22, 2000, 18:00   #9
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Worse than no sleep is getting up at 5AM to check forums, send that late PBEM and/or play a single player game for about a half hour before work.

"What's wrong with that?", you ask. Well, instead of the "one more turn", I was thinking about the "what to do next" while cruising at around 80 MPH - around 129 KPH for you Ausies - (speed limit in this part of the world is 65 MPH or 105 KPH) on the highway. A State Patrolman interrupted my musings demanding tribute on behalf of the State of Missouri - to the tune of $81 USD!

Sad and true story!

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old September 27, 2000, 15:46   #10
Crustacian
Prince

Local Time: 14:43
Can't say for sure that I ever dreamed Civ yet, but once I was so RELEAVED upon pulling out onto the highway that there were no mechanized infantry combined with howies rattling down the road.
At work in the woods once there was a strange noise not unlike Mongolian Horsemen storming over the ridge, but, as I wheeled the log skidder into attack position...hehe...it was only several moose!
So no I would say I am pretty much unaffected.
When traveling through towns, my Sons and I would point out city improvement features, like cathedral, or granery, or try to decide if it had walls or not, and how many units it would take to "repaint" it!

And some folks just play "slug bug" or try to spot all the state and other countries liscense plates! So I am very sure even my family was unaffected by Civ. By the way when ISSS Civ III coming out? tap tap tap....huh?