View Poll Results: Unit stacking in 1.17f:
Patch 1.17f provides full unit stacking support. 8 10.67%
A Shift + 'j' feature is required to allow stack ALL. 19 25.33%
An ALT + "j" feature is required to stack units of similar movement rate. 16 21.33%
A stacked unit pop-up screen is required to allow custimisable unit stacks. 15 20.00%
Unit stacking... not that important really. 3 4.00%
UNit stackin... don't waste your time! Get working on a scenario editor. 14 18.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16, 2002, 23:42   #1
exeter0
Warlord

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CIV III patch 1.17f - Approaches to STACKING
There seems to be many views on how Stacking has been implmented so I hope I've covered the alternatives...
-------------------------------------

Last edited by exeter0; February 17, 2002 at 00:35.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:11   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Posters, let the ranting begin!

IHMO, the stacking is cool for me.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:20   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:41
I would have voted for the shift-j AND alt-j option, if it was there.

I'm not sure a pop-up is what I want. More to do. Unless there was stacked combat to make that extra work rewarding, I don't want to have to do it.

Salve
Old February 17, 2002, 00:23   #4
exeter0
Warlord

Poll Is multi-select.
Quote:
I would have voted for the shift-j AND alt-j option, if it was there.
This poll is multi-select.. so yu could have voted for both!

Cheers.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:28   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:41
I suck. Blah.
Old February 17, 2002, 05:24   #6
Libertarian
King

As I gain more experience with the feature, I am finding that Yin was correct.
Old February 17, 2002, 06:32   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 16:41
Do I also understand correctly that all units in the 'stack' move one at a time to the location? More evidence, IMO, that this is just a cobbled attempt at stacking. Let's hope the Real Deal is in the works.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old February 17, 2002, 06:49   #8
Libertarian
King

Yes, it is movement by iteration.
Old February 17, 2002, 07:03   #9
exeter0
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Do I also understand correctly that all units in the 'stack' move one at a time to the location? More evidence, IMO, that this is just a cobbled attempt at stacking. Let's hope the Real Deal is in the works.
Yes.. it's a real shame.. but if you turn all animation etc off... you can pretend it's real stacked movement!
Old February 17, 2002, 07:46   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 22:41
I have just one thing to say:

Keep stacked movement as it is now, stacked movement has only one small bug: You can't stack ships with units in all the time, have only suceeded doing that once.

And I really like the thing about it that you can just wake up one unit, press the "J" and then everybody of that unit type wakes up.
Old February 17, 2002, 07:53   #11
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Off-topic: Yin!!! Have you changed your looooooovely avatar!!! What a shame!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On-topic: Since I have not been able to play much the last days, I problaby don't know enough about this(especially since I'm not in the modern age!), but after what I've underestood so far, it's good. So, I think I vote on the first option(although I maybe would have voted on something else if I knew more? )
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old February 17, 2002, 21:48   #12
hwinkels
Settler

Rack 'em Stack 'em Robots
Looks like what they did is extend the "goto" command. j does a regular "goto". Then, for every other same-type unit on that square (yeah, diamond, I know) it repeats the same "goto" command.

We already have "containers" like ships and armies. How hard could it be to introduce a "virtual" container that transports everything that's in it all at once, restricting its maximum movement rate to the lowest movement rate of any type contained therein? Sort of like a modified army - except it uses the artwork for just 1 of the contained units. Voila.

I hereby declare Copyright protection on the "Virtual Army" name and affirm that I have applied for official Trademark protection of same as of 17 February 2002. In addition, this post serves as first public exposure of a mechanism or algorithm by which this "Virtual Army" concept may be implemented as a form of "Stacked Movement" (the "movement") in video games manufatured and/or produced for Personal Computers ("PC's"), Game Consoles ("Consoles" - such as those produced by Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc.) and Arcade Gaming Devices (the "Arcade Games"), known collectively without limitation as the "Electronic Games". A detailed exposition of said mechanism(s), and how they implement a "novel" approach not previously known to exist in the field of Electronic Games may be found in the patent application which shall be filed by myself no later than one year from the date of this writing.

There. Copyrighted, Trademarked and Patent Pending all in one. I hope Firaxis DOES implement this kind of stacking. I'll be raking it in very soon now... (get the bag)
Old February 17, 2002, 22:03   #13
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 21:41
Re: Rack 'em Stack 'em Robots
Quote:
Originally posted by hwinkels
Looks like what they did is extend the "goto" command. j does a regular "goto". Then, for every other same-type unit on that square (yeah, diamond, I know) it repeats the same "goto" command.
Not much else they can do without vastly altering the game mechanics and UI. Except virtual armies that are somehow created and deleted at the player's will.
Quote:
We already have "containers" like ships and armies. How hard could it be to introduce a "virtual" container that transports everything that's in it all at once, restricting its maximum movement rate to the lowest movement rate of any type contained therein? Sort of like a modified army - except it uses the artwork for just 1 of the contained units. Voila.

I hereby declare Copyright protection on the "Virtual Army" name and affirm that I have applied for official Trademark protection of same as of 17 February 2002. In addition, this post serves as first public exposure of a mechanism or algorithm by which this "Virtual Army" concept may be implemented as a form of "Stacked Movement" (the "movement") in [- snip -] writing.

There. Copyrighted, Trademarked and Patent Pending all in one. I hope Firaxis DOES implement this kind of stacking. I'll be raking it in very soon now... (get the bag)
I will of course be challenging your patent of the phrase Virtual Army, and also the technique of its inception, having prior claim to that intellectual property, as laid out here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Maybe they could make virtual-armies that enable you to move units of different types together, or ... so you can make armies without leaders or something.
I think that's close enough that you can't claim exclusive rights...
Old February 18, 2002, 09:41   #14
Thrawn05
King

Re: Rack 'em Stack 'em Robots
Quote:
Originally posted by hwinkels

For a moment, I thought you were going to get the copyright just so you can sit on it and not let anyone use it for like 80 years.
Old February 18, 2002, 10:42   #15
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
reinstall and find out
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old February 18, 2002, 11:01   #16
Libertarian
King

I reinstalled. I found out. And I told him.
Old February 18, 2002, 12:12   #17
LaRusso
King

hearsay
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old February 19, 2002, 18:03   #18
exeter0
Warlord

I was hopng that this poll would send Firaxis a clearer message of where we want to go with unit stacking management... but it's turning out to be a broad spread.

Guess it just shows how broad our views are. Kinda feel sorry for the Firaxis guys now!

I was hoping to get 100 plus votes though.
Old February 23, 2002, 13:09   #19
exeter0
Warlord

Needed to add another option:

Ability to group action. i.e. you can move a bunch of workers to a tile... but then you have to click/press short-cut key for every unit (to say 'build mine').

Since the current implementation of group stacking works on like units only... this should be easy to do.