Old February 16, 2002, 23:59   #1
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 15:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
America Screwed
Aussie/Korean tripped up everybody in speed skating, American who worked so hard to get the gold got silver because he managed to crawl across the line after flying into the ice. Gold was awarded to the worst skater who only avoided the fight because he sucked himself into last place.

Dammit
Old February 17, 2002, 00:10   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:41
Ah, you saw that as well- I thought it was only one skater who ruined it for Japan and knocked down that other guy... I wonder why the Japanese skater was DQed and not the skater who tripped him, then the other skaters?
Old February 17, 2002, 00:19   #3
OldWarrior_42
Prince

The Aussie in question, tripped no one. He was simply in last place and when the three in front of him went down , he skated across the line and got the gold.

The Korean skater took out the other 2... including the American kid.

Funny thing about it was that in the Aussie skaters' previous race... he was behind the pack in that one also and only made it to the medal race because everyone in front of him went down for the count in that one as well.

I think it is funny as hell, that the same thing happened 2 races in a row for him and he ends up with the Gold. LMFAO
Old February 17, 2002, 00:19   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 14:41
Re: America Screwed
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf
Aussie/Korean tripped up everybody in speed skating, American who worked so hard to get the gold got silver because he managed to crawl across the line after flying into the ice. Gold was awarded to the worst skater who only avoided the fight because he sucked himself into last place.

Dammit
Australia tripped up everybody?
Get your eyes checked.

And I'm pretty sure the American flew into the wall, not into the ice.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:30   #5
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Aussie used special tactics , don't sook because you tactics are old.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old February 17, 2002, 00:35   #6
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

I'm fairly confident that this will lead to some sort of massive and potentially deadly international conflict within the next few days. Hopefully Canada/Britain will provide assistance this time around as we go after Korea, France, Australia and Russia for not only rigging the earlier pairs ice skating competition but also for attacking and wounding an American representative on our own soil in front of more than enough witnesses.

From the Geneva Convention:

Quote:
Article 4

A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy:

1. Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed forces.

2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

3. Members of regular armed forces who profess allegiance to a government or an authority not recognized by the Detaining Power.

4. Persons who accompany the armed forces without actually being members thereof, such as civilian members of military aircraft crews, war correspondents, supply contractors, members of labour units or of services responsible for the welfare of the armed forces, provided that they have received authorization from the armed forces which they accompany, who shall provide them for that purpose with an identity card similar to the annexed model.

5. Members of crews, including masters, pilots and apprentices, of the merchant marine and the crews of civil aircraft of the Parties to the conflict, who do not benefit by more favourable treatment under any other provisions of international law.

6. Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of war.
Quote:
B. The following shall likewise be treated as prisoners of war under the present Convention:

1. Persons belonging, or having belonged, to the armed forces of the occupied country, if the occupying Power considers it necessary by reason of such allegiance to intern them, even though it has originally liberated them while hostilities were going on outside the territory it occupies, in particular where such persons have made an unsuccessful attempt to rejoin the armed forces to which they belong and which are engaged in combat, or where they fail to comply with a summons made to them with a view to internment.

2. The persons belonging to one of the categories enumerated in the present Article, who have been received by neutral or non-belligerent Powers on their territory and whom these Powers are required to intern under international law, without prejudice to any more favourable treatment which these Powers may choose to give and with the exception of Articles 8, 10, 15, 30, fifth paragraph, 58-67, 92, 126 and, where diplomatic relations exist between the Parties to the conflict and the neutral or non-belligerent Power concerned, those Articles concerning the Protecting Power. Where such diplomatic relations exist, the Parties to a conflict on whom these persons depend shall be allowed to perform towards them the functions of a Protecting Power as provided in the present Convention, without prejudice to the functions which these Parties normally exercise in conformity with diplomatic and consular usage and treaties.

C. This Article shall in no way affect the status of medical personnel and chaplains as provided for in Article 33 of the present Convention.

Article 5

The present Convention shall apply to the persons referred to in Article 4 from the time they fall into the power of the enemy and until their final release and repatriation.
Our skater was none of the listed above in Article 4, apparently it's the Koreans who need their eyes checked. Or the French judges, but that's another story.

My logic is that if our man can't be kept as a PoW he can'd be attacked as anything but a citizen. And guess what?Attacking a citizen is an act of international terrorism.

I'm open to your opinions on the matter but I honestly believe there will be some form of massive tension in the upcoming weeks and months between the various communist nations and America over tonight's and last week's snafus.

New Axis of Evil comin' right up. Russia/France/South Korea/Australia.

Last edited by Wiglaf; February 17, 2002 at 01:11.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:38   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

ROFLMAO!
Now I'm convinced that Wiglaf is just spewing this stuff for shits & giggles.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:38   #8
Hydey
Emperor

sooky sooky LA LA

Old February 17, 2002, 00:45   #9
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

The Geneva Convention talks, people listen. (and they should) If the Aussie accepts the gold he is also accepting payment for his actions (gold=currency for those a little out of the loop)...

Again, a foreign attack by an individual on an American citizen who under the Geneva Convention is not a soldier by definition is considered an attack by the entire country on the entire country. Read the rules, I'm making none of this up. (Articles 4, 5, and 6)

Last edited by Wiglaf; February 17, 2002 at 01:14.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:48   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:41
Wiglaf,

There's such a thing as libel. You ought to be more careful what you say, esp. in public places.
Old February 17, 2002, 00:49   #11
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

It looks like Wiggy is turning into Civnation (pages of bizare cut 'n paste work, etc)
Old February 17, 2002, 00:52   #12
Hydey
Emperor

Its just sour grapes from a bad sport.
I guess wiggy did not back the aussie at ladbrokes.

Old February 17, 2002, 01:26   #13
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

if the US guy had won on a similar fluke, he'd be saying "he was smart" and "that's just how the game goes, quit crying Eurocoms"

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old February 17, 2002, 01:42   #14
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I think that he's making fun of the idiot Canadians for thier complaining.
Old February 17, 2002, 01:44   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The only idiots here, DinoDoc, are you and Wiggy.

If you lost a gold medal due to a corrupt French judge you'd be pissed off, too.
Old February 17, 2002, 01:46   #16
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The only idiots here, DinoDoc, are you and Wiggy.
You don't see me complaining about the bad call that cost us the 1972 basketball gold medals. That fiasco happened in a real sport as well.
Old February 17, 2002, 01:46   #17
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

DinoDoc - do you think it's wrong to complain if judges are cooperating illegaly like that? Or are you just implying that that is what Wiggy is saying?

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old February 17, 2002, 02:31   #18
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 13:41
Does anyone understand the rule on restarts?

I notice when that S. Korean messed up in the four man relay, taking himself and an Italian into the boards that they restarted. But they didn't restart this individual short track race.
Old February 17, 2002, 02:33   #19
David Floyd
Emperor

If Wiggy is serious then two words spring to mind.

one is ****ing, and the other is idiot.

The word order is up to you, but I think y'all can figure out the correct order pretty easily
Old February 17, 2002, 04:11   #20
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:41
Actually, the Korean tripped himself up. The Chinese guy slipped on his own and took the other two out, and the Aussie just skated on by. Lucky him, that's the breaks.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 17, 2002, 05:19   #21
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:41
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You don't see me complaining about the bad call that cost us the 1972 basketball gold medals.
Yeah, you weren't even born Like you witnessed the whole thing.
Old February 17, 2002, 06:45   #22
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Hell, not being born didn't stop quite a few people from registering on Apolyton... Whos to say he didn't witness that match as well.
Old February 17, 2002, 06:46   #23
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 21:41
Ah well, the Dutch were 1-2 in the normal track 1000 metres speed skating. So I don't care. Shorttrack is just a gimmicky sport anyway.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old February 17, 2002, 10:49   #24
Gazablanca
Chieftain

This thread is making me laugh.International conflict over a speed skating race????
Old February 17, 2002, 11:17   #25
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

I don't respond to trolls on principle, Gaza. Nice try though.

Quote:
I don't know why he's the only one of all you who can make sense as well as Alan Keyes at 10pm EST on MSNBC, but he is and instead of openly mocking him maybe you should watch a little more damn high quality television if only for continued exposure. Comparing Alan Keyes to DinoDoc is like comparing butter to butter. Meaning if you like butter now you'll like more butter later, obviously.

Anyway, NBC just showed the Aussie avoiding the initial pile and instead "being in the right place at the right time." and lucky, nothing more. Oh well, three countries make an easier international war on terrorism than four.

Although North Korea and South Korea at one time would be quite a handful if Blair stayed out of it again...
Old February 17, 2002, 11:19   #26
DinoDoc
Deity

Let's not even talk about what happened in Mexico City?
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
And?
Old February 17, 2002, 11:50   #27
blackice
Emperor

Quote:
Idiot? You call Canadians Idiots? You want justice and you are an Idiot? That explains it yes only an idiot needs justice and fairness yes. Only an idiot yes...so when one gets obviously cheated and makes a stink about it they are an idiot...

What F***ing planet you on? I would suggest only one who does not fight for rights and justice are idiots you? Seems you have your head screwed on backwards and are missing some of the basic functions required to be alive, good luck you will need it.
“The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
Or do we?
Old February 17, 2002, 12:41   #28
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf
I don't respond to trolls on principle, Gaza. Nice try though.
Funniest thing I've heard in years - it's quite alright for Wiggy to post em, but of course he'd never reply to them...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old February 17, 2002, 12:44   #29
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by blackice
Idiot? You call Canadians Idiots?
Yes, yes I do.

Quote:
What F***ing planet you on?
The one that remembers the type of judging that went on during the Cold War era and doesn't want to go down the road of Olympic reperattions.
Old February 17, 2002, 13:13   #30
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 16:41
Quote:

The one that remembers the type of judging that went on during the Cold War era and doesn't want to go down the road of Olympic reperattions.
Surely you're not suggesting that we turn a blind eye to present corruption, right under our nose?