Old February 17, 2002, 00:46   #1
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 03:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How about a RPG elements in Civ4?
Does anyone noticed that all this industrious, militaristic, scientific etc things are looks like traits from Fallout 1/2? What if come further and include perks in Civ4?
I mean what if every civ will have it’s own “experience levels”? What if for any action player done, he will by awarded by exp.points, and when he reach exp. level limit he may pick one of the perks? For example if you victorious in battle, you gain 1 exp. point, if build 8 cities first you gain 25, build Forbidden palace gain 50, research gunpowder first gain another 50, destroyed enemy’s civ gain 100 etc. Exp. points may be awarded almost for any player’s actions: battles, leaders benefits, construction of cities, research, trade agreements etc. Perks may give to players benefits like: increased attack/defense value, increased research/production/city growth, access to unique units/buildings/advances or even government’s types like fascism or fundamentalism.
I think perks may make each civ really unique and greatly improve gameplay (if perks will be properly balanced of course).
What do you think about it? I’ll be appreciated if someone answer to me, it will be very cool if it will be someone from Firaxis team.
Old February 17, 2002, 09:19   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds intriguing, if it can be done without unbalancing the game.

Perhaps set a limit so that you can only get perks from one field at a time - that is if you gain military perks you lose some of the scientific ones. Else you may get a runaway effect where "success breeds success".
Old February 17, 2002, 10:10   #3
Serb
Emperor

It will not be a serious problem if exp. level limits will be raised exponentially (10, 20, 50, 90, etc). The player will be forced to choose between science or military perks for example (because he simply will be unable to pick all perks). And the access to most valuable perks of one field will be granted only if enough combination of minor perks from that field are already achieved .
It makes one civ different from another not only because the nationality player choose before beginning of the game, but also by choices he make within the game. For example imagine an upgraded German’s knights received through pick up of some of the military perks, fight against Persian earlier musketmens received through some of the science perks. And so on.
Another example: player gains four levels (four perks), he may place his perks in four fields and slightly improve every one of that four fields, or he can put all perks in one field- military for example, it will makes his civ more militaristic. The same about if he chose to improve commerce, science, production, diplomacy/trade with other civs, culture, construction etc.
At the end of the game all civs will be absolutely different, and each new game even for the same nation will be different if player chose another way to achieve victory.

Last edited by Serb; February 17, 2002 at 11:33.
Old February 17, 2002, 15:16   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:41
It sounds interesting, but what exactly do you mean by "perks". What kinds of things would these points get a player?
Old February 18, 2002, 01:32   #5
Aeris
Settler

Local Time: 20:41
I think that's a really cool idea, but one of those things you either check or don't check when starting the game. If you make it mandatory, a lot of old-skool Civophiles will be pissed.

Willem, I think what he's getting at is...for example, you reach level two and decide on getting a military perk, so all your combat units get defense +15%. Level three could be +20% attack, et al...
Old February 18, 2002, 08:34   #6
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Willem, I think what he's getting at is...for example, you reach level two and decide on getting a military perk, so all your combat units get defense +15%. Level three could be +20% attack, et al...
Well, yes, but it’s only ‘minor’ perks in my list. Minor perks will be required as one of the conditions to choose more complicated perk. For example: Spartans battle school- very small wonder, produce elite infantry units in city where it’s build, required an advanced infantry training perk, an advanced spear handling training perk and an advanced sword handling training perk.
Quote:
…but one of those things you either check or don't check when starting the game. If you make it mandatory, a lot of old-skool Civophiles will be pissed.
I wonder if perks will be available in next civ. Actually It’s just tiny part of my own game concept I’m wish to sell to one of the Russian developer’s team. It’s just small part of my vision how big strategy games like civilization should be in future. In my concept for example workers and settlers do not exist, battles absolutely different, etc. It’s only my vision, nothing more. I just wanted to hear you opinion about this.
Old February 18, 2002, 11:23   #7
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
It’s only my vision, nothing more. I just wanted to hear you opinion about this.
Well I like the idea Serb. If it's implemented properly, it certainly has some possibilities. I've though along the lines of adding RPG elements as well.