Old February 17, 2002, 16:38   #1
666'srevenge
Settler

Local Time: 15:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I wonder how underground bases would look under water?....
The other day I reopened a game in which I was playing as the University and had a huge contient with another huge continient just across the channel from mine. Said Contient was filled with Yang's bases. Seeing as I was trying to win by way of diplomacy I wanted no war with the hive. They would have probably won eventually I had no offensive millitary, only police units defending my bases and some crawlers/sea crawlers and formers/sea formers. I had an ingenious idea....The hive apparently had not reshearched D:Flex even though I had the diffculty on transcend as I always do these days.Seeing that they had not reshearched D:Flex I decided I dndt need a millitary to get rid of them and instead I began lowering their entire empire into the sea. It was exclent fun wacthing base after base after base sink.They however never asked for peace seeing as they had the best millitary on the planet for a time and I had virtually no millitary so I just quitely wacthed as their bases became submerged
Old February 17, 2002, 19:51   #2
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 21:43
Cool!

I already thought about if it is possible to win a game by setting up a heavily polluting base which causes sea level rises en masse, the base being equipped with a few formers to stay above sea level and repair the boreholes, and some empath rovers to kill the mind worms.
Old February 18, 2002, 09:27   #3
fluffy
Warlord

Local Time: 20:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus
I already thought about if it is possible to win a game by setting up a heavily polluting base which causes sea level rises en masse, the base being equipped with a few formers to stay above sea level and repair the boreholes, and some empath rovers to kill the mind worms.
Unfortunately, bases above a certain size are never submerged, even without a Pressure Dome (it gets automatically given to the base by the game).

I'm guessing this only happens with sea level rises (not submerging via formers), as otherwise 666'srevenge's tactic would not have worked...
Old February 18, 2002, 10:09   #4
Yxklyx
Warlord

I have seen an AI base get a free Pressure Dome automatically after I submerged it with a former. There was discussion about this in another thread - I don't recall what the answer was.
Old March 8, 2002, 15:37   #5
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:43
Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy

Unfortunately, bases above a certain size are never submerged, even without a Pressure Dome (it gets automatically given to the base by the game).
Even if the faction doesn't have the pressure dome tech? Far out.

666 - great idea!
Old March 8, 2002, 17:21   #6
Cybergod
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Earwicker

Even if the faction doesn't have the pressure dome tech? Far out.

666 - great idea!
I think it works this way:

Situation 1:
* Base is size 1 or 2 or 3
* No Pressure Dome
The base dissapears into the ocean and thousands die

Situation 2:
* Base is size 4 or above
* No Pressure Dome
The base is reduced to size 4 (if it already isn't) and gains a free Pressure Dome! (thus becoming a sea base)
Old March 23, 2002, 17:15   #7
spartak
King

Are you sure about that? I remember just submerging Morgan to death in a SP game and he had some decent size bases.
Old March 23, 2002, 18:13   #8
Cybergod
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasmaske
Are you sure about that? I remember just submerging Morgan to death in a SP game and he had some decent size bases.
Hmm... I know after a global warming, in one game, Gaian size 3 base got submerged but I don't actually remember ever seeing a base of size 4 and above be submerged and become a sea base. Well, now that I think of it - in one game I had a size 12 base (with Pressure Dome) in the centre of Garland Crater. As the sea level rose a couple of times, the crater centre became a sea square and the base was a sea base all of a sudden!

--Nikola
Old March 24, 2002, 23:31   #9
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 09:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have used the drown the world strategy... works best as an alternate OCC (but you need military units to wipe out the worms). What happens is all the enemy factions lose heaps of small bases, but more importantely all of the land terraforming is lost. This basically cripples their economy and military, and the lack of road destroys mobility.

You meanwhile sit high and dry upon a mountain staffed by a herd of super formers (raising terrain quite often...).