Old February 18, 2002, 05:52   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Let's just be friends"
Ahh, crap.

Think of it as continuation of this thread.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old February 18, 2002, 05:54   #2
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 20:44
She only likes you when your drunk. The solution is simple.
Old February 18, 2002, 05:58   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 14:44
Don't take it too hard, you're very young and your best days are ahead of you.

She's obviously a person without good sensibilities anyway.
Old February 18, 2002, 06:05   #4
DaShi
Emperor

Or a lesbian.
Old February 18, 2002, 06:19   #5
Drekkus
Settler

Local Time: 21:44
'When Harry met Sally' shows that just being friends is bollocks. Eventually, the sex gets in the way, because one of the two wants more.

Having said that, over the years I have build up quite a group of female friends. Ex-girlfriends and 'lets just be friends' girls included. I have invested a lot of time and energy in building those friendships and they have given me a lot of insight in the female species. It made me comfortable with women, which is a great help when meeting girls.
When having friendships you can show your interest (if there is any), just don't be pushy.

But right now I think you should back off and see if the girls really wants to be friends at all. Let her take initiative for that.
Old February 18, 2002, 06:41   #6
Usually Insane
King

a very wise and insightful comment, drekkus.

couldn't have said it better
Old February 18, 2002, 07:10   #7
Solly
Emperor

Ah, bad memories...
Old February 18, 2002, 07:23   #8
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

It may not be a nice thing to hear, but its a damn sight better than:
"Stefu, I find you about as sexually attractive as fried sheep's eyeballs, and cannot face being seen 'with you' in public, except while surrounded by lots of other friends. Only your vaguely amusing sense of humour prevents me from telling you to bugger off completely."
Old February 18, 2002, 07:24   #9
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well you've only asked her out ?

Did she say "no" or the whole "let's be friends" sermon ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Drekkus
When having friendships you can show your interest (if there is any), just don't be pushy.
Ugh. That's like a high wire act. I hate it. (Did I mention I'm afraid of heights?)
Old February 18, 2002, 07:40   #10
Drekkus
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
Ugh. That's like a high wire act. I hate it. (Did I mention I'm afraid of heights?)
Well, when you're spending time and energy on a girl, they assume that you're in love with them anyway. I've tried so many times to explain a women the difference between lust and love, but they are incapable to grasp that concept. Chris Rock said it right when he said that women have male friends, and men have women they just haven't f#cked yet.

One girl/woman I know for about 15 years always calls me to ask for info on guys I know. When she's depressed about a guy I tell her I would love to have sex with her. Then she laughs and tells me she isn't that desperate. But a few months ago she told me that I should stop making jokes like that, because I never made any serious attempt. I told her the timing was off because I was single when she wasn't and vice versa. But it made me think about the female viewpoint of 'just friends'.
Old February 18, 2002, 07:55   #11
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Well, when you're spending time and energy on a girl, they assume that you're in love with them anyway."

Not necessarily.... but they always _think_ they know 100 % how you feel either direction (but they don't).

"But a few months ago she told me that I should stop making jokes like that, because I never made any serious attempt."

Maybe I'm cynical, but I think the sudden "Why don't you love me" statements or innuendos in such situations are based on hormone disruption, chocolate withdrawal, or both. But well... if god had wanted us to understand women....
Old February 18, 2002, 07:57   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Stefu:
Hey, man, you gotta think of the upside. You had the courage to ask her out (even if it WAS boosted by some liquid courage supplement), and I assume you'll have learned something from this, even if it's what NOT to do (like ask a girl out while drunk - my bad experience ), or that you CAN do it. It is of course, always "better" to do that whilst sober, but that's just what I've been told (still trying to sort out the vagaries of asking out). But then again, drunkenness always seems more conducive to scoring the girl....

I first asked a girl out (sober) about 5 months ago, just after my 21st. It was all awkward and I got EXACTLY the reply you quoted (do they have a guidebook of replies for this sort of thing or what?), and I think you made a decent start. Congrats on your achievement, man and I really mean that - it is a helluva thing to do. And try to find the positive side. More time for Apolyton!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 18, 2002, 08:00   #13
Solly
Emperor

A couple more of these threads Stefu and you'll be learning not to post your love life on Apolyton...
Old February 18, 2002, 08:11   #14
Drekkus
Settler

Quote:
chocolate withdrawal

And Stefu, I hope this rejection puts your efforts off. Just aks a girl, if she says no, too bad. She doesn't know you very well, so she isn't judging the real you. Or maybe take the slow approach. Talk to them, and instead of asking them for dinner, tell them she's fun and ask for her email adress. Then you can start off with some emailing. With your writing skills and humor, she will be far more interested to go on a date, than with someguy who shows up out of the blue and asks her out.
Just be sure to steer clear of the friendship zone with that.
Old February 18, 2002, 08:49   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:44
I tried that asking out thing, pretty much getting the same replies.
Then out of the blue, I had a girl asking me out...

I guess my point is be patient, something will happen.
Old February 18, 2002, 08:53   #16
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
I guess my point is be patient, something will happen.
That advice isn't suitable for everyone.

If Stefu is the kind of guy who tends not to make a move for girls he likes (ie, if this was a one-off), this kind of advice can seriously harm.

Just sitting around on Apolyton thinking "oh well, if I'm patient something will happen sooner or later" is not going to work. Proactivity should be recommended - get out there and get flirting!
Old February 18, 2002, 12:11   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:44
That won't work, since women can smell desperate men from 8/5 km (that's a mile) away.

At any rate, it's just that you think you're taking the initiative when in fact you're just responding to women's non-verbal cues.
Old February 18, 2002, 12:20   #18
Alynzia
Warlord

"Let's just be friends" = Hey, you're really nice to talk to but there is not a f**king chance in h*ll I will ever ever ever ever ever want to sh*g you.

(at least in my terminology)

Alynzia
Old February 18, 2002, 12:32   #19
Drekkus
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Alynzia
"Let's just be friends" = Hey, you're really nice to talk to but there is not a f**king chance in h*ll I will ever ever ever ever ever want to sh*g you.

Alynzia
Never say never (or in your case 'ever ever ever ever'). I've seen girls turn 180 degrees because 'he tried so hard', 'he's really sweet' etc. Which really means: I have nothing better to sh*g, so I will take advantage of this guy until something better comes along.
So hang in there, nice guys, you just might get lucky!
Old February 18, 2002, 12:39   #20
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Which really means: I have nothing better to sh*g, so I will take advantage of this guy until something better comes along."

Or until somewhere between 25-35, the biological alarm clock starts ringing...
Old February 18, 2002, 12:58   #21
Drekkus
Settler

Quote:
Or until somewhere between 25-35, the biological alarm clock starts ringing...
So I restate: Hang in there, 18 year old nice guys. In about 10 years time you'll get lucky!
Old February 18, 2002, 12:59   #22
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

THANK HEAVEN I'M 31!
Old February 18, 2002, 13:12   #23
Solly
Emperor

Old February 18, 2002, 15:58   #24
lightblue
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Alynzia

Alynzia
Similar to when I tell a girl that I'll give her a call sometime.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old February 18, 2002, 16:00   #25
lightblue
Warlord

Oh and Stefu, you just have to think that there are plenty of fish in the sea. If you're not having much success, try aiming a bit lower and then slowly work your way up once your confidence increases.
It is extremely unlikely that you're going to meet the love of your life in school, so you might as well enjoy what is available, instead of fixating on the unattainable (trust me, I speak from experience).
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old February 18, 2002, 16:11   #26
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue
If you're not having much success, try aiming a bit lower and then slowly work your way up once your confidence increases.
If you find yourself trying to chat up something thazt chews cud, you're aiming too low.
Old February 19, 2002, 16:52   #27
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

THis thread is great :B:

Both humorous (due to the funposts) and enlightening (due to rational advice).

Thanks people, for sharing.
Old February 19, 2002, 22:27   #28
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 12:44
It's all a matter of perspective.
For the male unsuccessful in his pursuit, the four worst words are: "Let's just be friends."

For the male who was successful in his pursuit, or for the female, the four worst words are: "I missed my period."

About the only thing you can do about the actual or pseudo-rejection thing is wade into and embrace it. By the time you're done, you'll have heard about every form of it there is.

As long as you don't let it take you down the wallow in self-pity, whiny, neurotic road, eventually your luck will change, often spectacularly. So just hang in there, and keep getting rejected.
Old February 19, 2002, 23:09   #29
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 16:44
I couldn't even begin to count all the times I heard "let's just be friends" or some variation thereof. My personal favorite was when the girl I had had a crush on for 10 years said, "You're charming in a completely nonsexual sort of way." Yahoo!

But remember the lesson of the Austrailian short-track speedskater--dammit, NEVER GIVE UP. You get right back on the saddle, and ask out some other dame.

Now, I'm engaged.
Old February 19, 2002, 23:13   #30
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 12:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
My personal favorite was when the girl I had had a crush on for 10 years said, "You're charming in a completely nonsexual sort of way." Yahoo!
OUCH!!!!! That is really cold.