Old December 15, 2000, 12:30   #1
Johan T
Settler

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Personal wonders
There should be two kinds of wonders - Wonders (The Pyramids, Hanging Gardens, Apollo Program...) and Famous persons (Shakespeare, Darwin, J.S. Bach...). The Wonders should be like the civ2 wonders, you build them.

The Famous persons will work in a different way. You don't build them. You can get them if you are lucky and your civ is advanced. Each famous person needs a technology advance. When the proper advance is discovered there is a 10% chance every turn that the famous person will appear somewhere in the world. If the event occurs he will appear in one of the civs with the advance.
An example:
Adam Smith needs Economics. The Americans is the first civ to discover Economics. This turn there will be a 10% chance for Adam to appear. If he does then the Americans will get him in one of their cities. If the event isn't triggered this turn then there is a 10% chance that he will appear in one of the civs with Economics the next turn. This way the chance is bigger for the advanced civs to get famous persons.

The effects of the famous persons is like the wonders (increases happiness, science, trade etc.). The effect will only last for a few turns. Then the person will die. In modern days there might be a new effect: The birthplace of the famous person will attract tourists (+trade).

Maybe there should be a chance of the famous persons moving. E.g. Einstein appears in a civ with a fascist government. Then there might be a chance every turn for him to move to another civ with a democratic government.

Old December 15, 2000, 12:37   #2
Deathwalker
Prince

I think your referring to something the massage saying the golden age of philosphy has begun in ???. But I don't think this is a good idea.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old December 15, 2000, 12:58   #3
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

personally I dont think this is a good idea.
Old December 15, 2000, 23:24   #4
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:36
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The 'person' dies to quickly,. I like the idea of famous people, however they should leave behind a 'legacy' of information. Darwin's theories haven't been forgotten!, however at the epoch of the 90s his ideas were less relevant than in the past.
The famous person should work at 100% effect for the first 10 turns, after his appearance, and then lose 1% of his effectiveness each turn until only 10% remains, this should remain for the rest of the game.

Also how do you conquer a 'famous person'. If you attack the city in which he lives, he will probably end up dead (in reality).
Old December 16, 2000, 01:12   #5
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:36
I think is a perfectly OK idea. Building Wonders is about lots of mini-challenges, within the BIG challenge of winning the overal game. This idea would add some nice added "micro-challenges" to the Civ-3 game - which, in itself makes it a good idea.

The only thing i would tweak, is that the most advanced and biggest empire shouldnt be 100% sure of attracting (and keeping) any well-known genius.
After all; these guys are only humans, so they can be lured over by a smaller (with the right tech) empire, with a higher luxury-rate, or better health-situation, and so on, as well.

Its important however, that the Civ-3 game dont become totally "overloaded" with too many of these addon-ideas. Firaxis must carefully choose what to implement, and what to scrap. I reckon that about 90-95% of all Civ-3 idea ever suggested by us Apolyton-members must be scrapped. This is absolutely necessary in order to avoid a totally overbloated "Frankensteins monster" of a game.