Old December 12, 2000, 22:08   #1
QW1020
Settler

Local Time: 19:36
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Tech Effect by Age
Recently I was playing a game of Civ2 in which I had riflemen before 1 AD. I think that this is historicaly inaccurate.

I suggest that techs should have different effects for each age. Later on you should be able to research the later effect.

Here's an example:
If I discover gunpowder in ancient times it should give me an inprovement like fireworks that makes people happy. Later on, I should be able to research gunpowder again and get musketeers.

Get what I'm saying?
Old December 12, 2000, 22:23   #2
Jer8m8
Warlord

I disagree. Ages are not the same for each civ-Americans had stone age tech during the europeans age of exploration. If the "Renaisance" is 1400-1600, then the Natives will not have had a chance to even research those techs
Old December 12, 2000, 22:25   #3
jdlessl
Warlord

I really don't like the idea of slaving my rate of plowing through the tech tree to the current year. I worked hard to get Space Flight in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Fifteen!

Seriously, there's no reason to think that a civilization could not develop tech a good deal faster or slower than we did. The game should be designed so that a good player will probably keep pace with what really happened, but should not enforce that relation. Just because I'm way cooler than the other civs doesn't mean that I should stop, tap my feet, look impatiently at my watch, and wait for them to catch up before taking off again.

--
Jared Lessl
Old December 13, 2000, 09:52   #4
Stuff2
Warlord

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In order to avoid riflemen before turns turning into AD i nowdays usually play at dietylevel starting a bit later than everyone else (2000 BC or sometimes even 1 AD), it's much more of a challenge. And also, in one way it's easier since your opponents think that you are not powerful enough to get wiped out.

I don't think that the number of turns in any way should influence how fast you research techs. If someone is competent enough to get to AC before 1000 AD they can have credit for it. I'd rather suggest a bonus for every turn that is left of the game when the game is won. Say 1 point each turn. If you Conquer the world at 1000 AD you have earned 370 bonus points.
Fireworks being a prereq for gunpowder is a good idea.
Old December 13, 2000, 14:05   #5
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:36
Has anyone played the game and gotten all the techs by level (ie only those techs that have not prereq's, then all the techs you can get from only those techs, etc.)? I would guess that you would get all the techs about the time that they were discovered in the real world (aproximately, I don't know for sure).
Old December 16, 2000, 15:23   #6
QW1020
Settler

This idea still applies to scenarios